• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To commute or Not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Commute in or out 2 days early/late a month each and that's almost an extra month a year on the road.

For those whose don't want to commute, don't. But please don't tell everyone else not to commute because you don't want too. Simply state "It's not for me. I have more time off. Yada, yada, yada."

In 2004 I listened to all the naysayers tell me I couldn't live where I did and commute. I sold my house and moved to my domicile. It was the worst decision I have ever made. I tried living in my domicile and hated it. It wasn't home.

In 2005, I moved back to where I loved and know that was the smartest decision I have ever made. I don't care how much extra money you make because you live in your domicile. Money doesn't buy happiness. I make enough as a commuter and enjoy my time off.

Commuting is my choice. I love where I work, but I love where I live just as much, actually more. When I'm at home, it feels like vacation. I won't trade that feeling for living in any domicile. Sorry there isn't a domicile on earth I would trade for my current location so I'll keep my two leg commute and smile every day.

After I had moved to my domicile I flew a trip with a Captain who commuted and he offerd some of the greatest advice I have ever received..."If you have a reason to commute, commute. I wish I could have told you before all the naysayers got to you."

I will never forget that guy, because he was the reason I moved back. He convinced me it was more important to live where I was happy than to live in a domicile where I wasn't.

I am not telling anyone to commute, but for me, living where I want to live is vastly more important to me than living in/near a domicile. Everyone has a different set of circumstances and reasons for making their choice. I am very happy with mine.

Yahtz

Latest resources

Back