• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips to flying the Boeing 727

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone remember Len Morgan's column in Flying magazine called "Flying the 3 Holer"? It was a great piece of writing, I have searched google for it, but cannot find it online. I actually do still own the issue where they reprinted it, in April of 2000.

I've still got that issue as well. If I remember correctly, the cover had a beautiful brown 727 touching down. Always enjoyed reading Len Morgan's column.

Answer: The only piece of wood in the 727 cockpit is on the inside of the fuel dump panel door.

Answer: The only piece of wood in the 727 cockpit is on the inside of the fuel dump panel door.
Give that man a cigar! :D

...shiny switches go up before takeoff, down after landing and if it is dusty don't touch it... Only in a TWA airplane. :)
Man... I haven't heard THAT in a while... and what about those Kiwi birds? :)

I've still got that issue as well. If I remember correctly, the cover had a beautiful brown 727 touching down. Always enjoyed reading Len Morgan's column.

My favorite was Len's "Flight 219, the trip nobody loves" (Flying, April '78), a leg by leg description of flying a 15 hour two day trip on the 727. 4 legs on day one, 6 legs day two, with a rockin' TUL layover. 10 days flying a month = 75 hrs. Beautifully written, one of the articles we all read during our flight instructing/charter years that gave us a glimpse of "real airline flying".

My favorite was Len's "Flight 219, the trip nobody loves" (Flying, April '78), a leg by leg description of flying a 15 hour two day trip on the 727. 4 legs on day one, 6 legs day two, with a rockin' TUL layover. 10 days flying a month = 75 hrs. Beautifully written, one of the articles we all read during our flight instructing/charter years that gave us a glimpse of "real airline flying".
Capt. Morgan had a way with words, didn't he? And yet, most of the time he wished that he could write as well as others. One of his most famous quotes, IMHO, was " Anyone can fly a plane, but it takes a genius to bid!"

" Anyone can fly a plane, but it takes a genius to bid!"

After seeing my December award, I must be an idiot...

I was always too scared to try that "roll on" method of landing. I just flared until it looked about right and waited. Some were good, some not so bad, and a few were controlled crashes. I must admit it was a pretty cool first jet for me though.

Latest resources

Back