Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips on Successfully Interviewing at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Albie...thanks, I'll send you that $50 I owe you :beer:

Wolfking...ditto but I don't think I owe you any money...yet...we haven't bet landings have we? If so, I probably owe you.

flyboeingjets...good summary...you've hit the gist of it...Libby Sartain use to do the same thing in the late 90's

Uppercrust....I've spoken to the FI moderator and he has some good recommendations for some "luv" counselors you may wish to speak with that could offer you some counseling;) ....made me laugh...thanks!

I write mostly for the lurkers who don't wish to join in or simply wish to glean as much information from as many different sources as possible....in an earlier life a portion of the brief was always geared toward "contingencies", "what ifs"....this board provides some of that intel from Albie, resumewriter, and others too numerous to identify & thank...for the person hoping to get the call who does, maybe some of these comments might provide the help they need to acquire the job they really are hoping for....nothing more cosmic than that in offering the drivel from my keyboard....cheers & yes cheesemo I'm studying....still hate the fact my sim partner looks like he is young enough to date my oldest daughter....what a great gig's he got for the next 20+ years!!!

Last edited:
Open Question

I am wondering what impact the 1-on-1 interviews have in the DB. Does anyone have any insight as to the effect of the opinions of each interviewer on the db discussion.

I guess this is really a question for someone on the DB, but if a pilot doesn't click with one of the interviewers, how much will it affect your chance of getting the job? Do all three interviewers have to like your stories?

And to that issue, how much does each story affect the outcome?

Anyone who did get hired: Can you think of a bad story you used that you regret or when you were waiting for a call (my DB was this week) you thought about something you said that you wished you could have taken back, but still got the job?

For example, maybe you told them about the time you told your FO to fly the d@#* airplane and quit whining about his wife leaving him cause you were on the arrival and you were trying to listen to the playoff game over the ADF.

Anyone make a real blooper and still make it?

:),

Good discussion on all my points. I can't speak for Chase, but I infer that in his past someone helped him out with the process, and he's just passing on to those following. Maybe he believes in karma. I think SW is happy with their system, but the process is about human interaction, and having a little insight to the process, the opportunity to mentally prepare for the ordeal, may allow a few to relax more and let their winning personalities peek out through the nervousness and trepidation. I know, the process is supposed to be able to get through that, but going in with confidence and not the fear of the unknown is better for both the candidate and the interviewer.

Anyway, as a predominant lurker, I'm happy to see a little intelligent conversation. Especially about ballwalking.

Regards,
S-Fly

ONEWAY said:
thanks to some hard work, good fortune, and info from those on this board...

I interviewed back in the winter (once) and got hired..

what worked for me:

1. Smile 'til you face hurts (smile at EVERYONE!)
2. "....there WE were..." instead of "....there I was...."
3. make it known to everyone how much you WANT TO BE THERE!

best of luck to all!

I think not enough people do #3. Hard to believe but I think many folks give good answers to questions and smile but when given the opportunity don't say, "thanks for the opportunity, i really want to work for this company and if i am lucky enough to be given the chance i will give it my all."

SupaFly said:
:),

Good discussion on all my points. I can't speak for Chase, but I infer that in his past someone helped him out with the process, and he's just passing on to those following. Maybe he believes in karma. I think SW is happy with their system, but the process is about human interaction, and having a little insight to the process, the opportunity to mentally prepare for the ordeal, may allow a few to relax more and let their winning personalities peek out through the nervousness and trepidation. I know, the process is supposed to be able to get through that, but going in with confidence and not the fear of the unknown is better for both the candidate and the interviewer.

Anyway, as a predominant lurker, I'm happy to see a little intelligent conversation. Especially about ballwalking.

Regards,
S-Fly

Thanks S-Fly, I do try to occasionally offer something of value. Discussion is good, and I'm glad that some can see discussion for discussion instead of simple bashing. If I ever decide to bash, it will be obvious.

:)

Well I may be the record holder. First interview with SWA in May 1992 and I just got called for another interview next month. WOOOHOOO!! A 14 year wait to take another shot. Believe it or not I am just as excited as I was in 1992.

Good luck to everyone interviewing!
Helmsmen

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back