Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips on Successfully Interviewing at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that is the answer to getting a job. If you pull off that dance and you don't get the job, it's nothing but a crap shoot who gets hired. I made my appointment with the chorographer!!! Look out Dallas!

SWA didn't hire me... I think the interviewer felt that being in the cockpit with me would be like being in a cage with a wild animal; maybe it was the crusty dogsh%t on my shoes...dunno...

On the other hand, I do cut a mean jig!

Why are some slamming Chase? He's done more to pass on info and encouragement than about 99% of the posters here, and all he does is take face shots for it.

I don't agree with a LOT of things airlines do to candidates, but trust me--I don't make the rules. Chase may not be completely objective, but his only fault is he likes the company he works for and wants to HELP folks but still not compromise his position as someone inside the company that is (fairly) well known. Those of us outside the company (like me) can say we LOVE Southwest or we think they are a bunch of queers...and they can't touch us. Chase is in a different situation. So--if people WANT information from a source inside, then they should also respect the fact that inside information will always be flavored with its own spin or bias. However, I think the record will show a lot of folks have benefited directly from his help, and his help is wanted by a lot of folks.

Its easy to say "Chase...your system is flawed...why don't you go throw Rebekkah Krone and the HR department off a bride and fix things..." However, that is very unrealistic. He's an F/O, doing what we can. I don't always like the FDX process, but as of yet Jack Lewis hasn't called me at home to ask for my suggestions on improving it. I don't think expecting a line bro to make changes is very realistic.

:-) said:
....chase, why would you be interested in "helping" SWA hopefuls unless you KNOW the process favors one type of personality over the other, and that this causes good people to fail? Might you have had a few friends try and fail?, so you're trying to come to grips with a system that you now realize isn't optimized to finding the best person for the job? Think about this, if the SWA pilot hiring system works, aren't you doing the company harm by helping people manipulate the system?

Think about it bro...

I'll try and explain my logic. Here goes.

Every SWA insider (left nameless to protect the guilty) I've ever spoken to, represents the SWA interview as nothing more than a "get to know you" session. The constant refrain is, "just go in and be yourself". After lurking here for years, I've read many, many times that the SWA technique isn't a game, it isn't trickery or anything like it. It is just an opportunity for them to get to know you. I've spoken to some of you via PM and been told that SWA stands by their system, and that SWA is confident in their systems ability to choose people who possess the SWA "personality".

Taking all of that into consideration, adding it to SWA's well known dislike of interview preparation, I find it odd that you attempt to help people pass the interview.

To me, it is logical that if you believe in your systems ability to predict performance, then you will avoid interfering with the system. Yet, I see you interfere with the system; therefore I can only conclude that you must not totally accept the ability ofyour system.

My analysis would be this: Chase, knowing that the SWA interview/selection system sometimes misses on good people, and recognizing that such misses are the result of shortcomings in the "system", is attempting to help those good people circumvent part of that system.

Love ya man,
:)

I know this is meant for Chase, but I'll offer my opinion just in case it helps....

Your logic would make sense if this was a scientific experiment, but it's not. Its an interview that is meant to gauge your ability to work with other people, communicate and make decisions. And, most importantly, get and keep the most qualified applicants.

No system is perfect. People aren't perfect. The system might let you down or an individual interviewer might grade you too harshly. But that is life. IMHO, they are trying to gauge whether or not you are ethical and have a positive outlook on life. Are you easy to work with? Will you handle a crew or passenger issue correctly? Will you be a good employee that volunteers to do more than the minimum? That is what people mean by "get to know you".

But you are wondering why it changes. I think its based on competition and supply vs. demand. You know the truth by now, they don't hire everyone who comes in for interview. There is a competitive aspect to the hiring process. Sure the interview counts but the board makes the decision. And they will hire those who look best and who have similar backgrounds.

Most importantly--Chase is not interfering with the system. He is trying to improve your interviewing skills. Skills that will serve you at any interview. No gaming of the system. Attacking his logic and advice on this forum is, IMHO, folly. You may not be able to use all his advice, but I see no agenda at all in it. Just an exuberance that may irritate those who feel loss.

Why won't he say anything about the LOI? Because those that know how it is graded aren't allowed to say anything. But I'm thinking it is a straightforward test of your ability to manage time, gather information, make a decision and interact with a "crew". Another chance to "get to know you". To get to know how YOU do your work in the pilots seat.

Why does everyone here stand by SWA's interview process? It's not that. It was a challenge that was met and we all left with positive feelings. So we have nothing to hate about it. Interviews don't always go well. When they go well we breath a sigh of relief.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back