• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips for remembering ATC instructions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bug your headings, tune the new freq as it is read and keep a memo pad on your lap for longer instructions. In busy airspace, I am flying with a pen in my hand the whole time. Don't let the controller's cadence rush your thinking. Try to visualize clearances as they are being given, that way you just repeat it from "sight".

Those things can DO that?!?! :eek:

Wow. Only flown with one once and I could barely get the thing to keep me in a straight line. I'm too used to steam gauges I guess.

They sure can...those things are pretty remarkable.

I only had a chance to fly one in IMC once and it was like flying VFR...I love 'em.

I agree with you about having a hard time if you don't know much about it....I had to move one about 20NM once with only basic knowledge of the system and I was actually more comfortable using the backup instruments. :)

If you want to try again, the manual is available online PDF and I think Garmin has a sim that you can download.

Other features:
-automatically tunes frequencies for localizers, etc when you load an approach
-automatically IDs naviads when tuned and displays it's identifier next the the nav radio box
-allows you to insert a point into and build flight plans by scrolling across the map with the joystick and clicking on the waypoint

I'd better stop.....there's just too much to mention.

Last edited:
Practice is what will help out in the long run.

But I think you just have to pay attention. I don't mean it in a mean way, I just feel that getting into the habit of writting everything down, especially short instructions is a bad thing.

IFR Clearances, holding instructions, re-routes, long taxiing instructions or COMM frequencies when you're in the middle of completing an important task....go for it!!
But I draw the line at simple heading/altitude or approach clearances.

As many CFII's know, when a student is so pre-occupied by just trying to get the airplane to do what he/she wants, other tasks get thrown in the mental back-burner of the student. (checklists/communications etc..)

It really helps out and frees up brain cells when you know how to properly trim and point the aircraft in the altitude and direction you want it to be at.
But if holding bank, speed or altitude in actual or under the hood are drawing 90% of your attention, then you won't pay full attention when an instruction is given.

On one particular student of mine this is what I noticed and we went back to practice some more BASIC ATTITUDE INSTRUMENT FLYING.
Once a student is at the point where the airplane stays steady "hand-off," I notice they tend to fall behind less.

I think it would have made my brain lazy if I had tried to copy down every word while I was training for my instrument rating. I imagine It's a difficult habit to break too, especially if the goal is to fly professionally some day.

But just keep at it, learn to fly practically hand off and get a scanner so you know what to expect from ATC and it will come in time.

Basically it's been said, but just have a pad of paper and pen handy during IFR flight. When a new frequency or simple instruction has been given, write the new information down and immediately cross out the old information. As far as '584SP: 5 miles from Leroi, turn left heading 190, intercept the localizer at or above 2100, you are cleared for the ILS 16R approach, contact tower 134.8.', practice what you would say out loud with your instructor on the ground.

All good tips for the Mocaman, guys and gals. Nicely done!
Mine: Try to anticipate the controlers next instruction.
Ex: you're flying base leg or modified base for an ILS or localiser.
Anticipate a turn to intercept, cleared for the approach, maintain xxx altitude until established (Learned from a fatal AA crash at IAD years ago), and maybe a tower frequency to switch to.
Good luck to you.

They sure can...those things are pretty remarkable.

I only had a chance to fly one in IMC once and it was like flying VFR...I love 'em.

I agree with you about having a hard time if you don't know much about it....I had to move one about 20NM once with only basic knowledge of the system and I was actually more comfortable using the backup instruments. :)

If you want to try again, the manual is available online PDF and I think Garmin has a sim that you can download.

Other features:
-automatically tunes frequencies for localizers, etc when you load an approach
-automatically IDs naviads when tuned and displays it's identifier next the the nav radio box
-allows you to insert a point into and build flight plans by scrolling across the map with the joystick and clicking on the waypoint

I'd better stop.....there's just too much to mention.

Anyone who pays the extra money for a G1000 is wasting there money. There is no advantage to it at all. If you learn ur instrument on it your gonna be screwed when you hafta fly a real airplane later in life. IMO anyways. Anyone who says glass time is valuable is mistaken. If you want to know how to fly a glass 172 get the new microsoft flight sim. Has a fully functional G1000 172.

I was wondering if any one else has a horrible memory, and kinda stuggles with repeating back instructions givin by ATC? I will hear the instruction, then sometimes after I acknowledge and say my call sign, I will have forgotton it. I just started really flying alot of IFR. Any insights?? Thanks.

A lot of good advice above. It can be daunting when the controller starts getting long winded and then sprinkles in an instruction or clearance. Practice and exposure will help and things will become easier. "Roger" and "Wilco" are two of you best friends and let them do a lot of the radio work for you. Sounds like your on the right track by using your call sign last in your transmissions. You know your call sign and no need of using any brain power and wasting precious time running your mouth with what you know instead of reading back what your going to do. You don't have to be a parrot and repeat every word and everything the controller says. HAC all your readbacks: Heading, Altitude, Clearance. That's all you have to readback after getting told about everything except what kind of donut and coffee the controller is having. Keep your words to a minimum. If you feel like your about to struggle with any part of a readback just cut to the chase and give them a "Say again please" instead of wasting time and distance, and it's better than the playback button. They will probably cut all the fluff out and give you the bare bones and make your life easier.

A kneeboard really helps here. Write down the instructions, then ackowledge ATC. Real pilots can and do fly with kneeboards, notepads, and other devices that help.

wait so im not a real pilot anymore?

o thats right, a gear monkey....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back