Tips for remembering ATC instructions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I was wondering if any one else has a horrible memory, and kinda stuggles with repeating back instructions givin by ATC? I will hear the instruction, then sometimes after I acknowledge and say my call sign, I will have forgotton it. I just started really flying alot of IFR. Any insights?? Thanks.

A kneeboard really helps here. Write down the instructions, then ackowledge ATC. Real pilots can and do fly with kneeboards, notepads, and other devices that help.

I try to dial in frequencies as they read it to me, use ADF cards for headings, ADFs for altitudes, etc. If its a complicated instruction, I'll write it down. I like those legal-pad-style small notebooks (I think they're 4x6). I'll write down ATIS, clearances, etc. on that while my navlog (pre-printed from fltplan or navsuite) I put the time off/on, etc.

Just use your available resources. If you need to, write it down on the chart :)

-mini

...or you could use the digital playback on a G1000. :)

Those things can DO that?!?! :eek:

Wow. Only flown with one once and I could barely get the thing to keep me in a straight line. I'm too used to steam gauges I guess.

Writing down instructions helps and I am trying to get better at doing that (to set a good example for my students, private or otherwise). When ATC issues an instruction, set the "filter" mode in your brain to on. You just need to remember the important stuff.

Not really necessary on short instructions such as " Cessna 1234, turn left to 230" which if I was writing it down would be a left arrow with 230 next to it.

But if that instruction is " Cessna 1234, 4 miles from the outer marker, turn left to 230 intercept the localizer, cleared for the ILS 28 at Regional City County Airport, maintain 3000 until established, contact the tower on 121.3" it can be tough. Just look for the important parts:

"Turn left 230, maintain 3000 until established, cleared for the ILS 28" If you are IFR, hopefully you are done with the approach plate and have the tower freq tuned in on another radio.

Write stuff down, stay ahead of the airplane and try to filter out the important part of the instructions.

Oh yes, the G1000 can do many things. Just try not to crash it while figuring it out. It's very easy to have too much "head-down" time while trying to figure it out, let alone trying to teach someone how to use it.

Last edited:
Just remember in IFR there is a format to how a controller will give you a clearance. Initial callup will always be a clearance limit, route ('as filed' is great, if he says VIA, prepare to write lots), altitude, departure freq, and squawk code. I always write down this clearance.

Approach clearances are distance from IAP, heading to intercept, altitude to intercept, and approach cleared for, though readback is shortened to heading, altitude and cleared for.

Reroutes can be very long, and nearly impossible to memorize if you have a fast talkin controller. Pen and paper is necessary.

The more you fly IFR, not necessarily IMC, the easier ATC becomes.

Initial callup will always be a clearance limit, route ('as filed' is great, if he says VIA, prepare to write lots), altitude, departure freq, and squawk code. I always write down this clearance.
Yes, and it has an acronym: CRAFT. You sometimes see it on IFR flight planners.

Clearance
Route
Altitude
Frequency
Transponder

I used to write a couple possible scenarios on my knee board if I could feel an overwhelming clearance coming on, then just circle or cross out whatever's applicable or not, and fill in the details short hand.

Latest resources

Back