• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips at FBOs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tip a lot, especially at the FBOs that we go to often. That ensures that we get really good prompt service. The line guys always help with the bags and anything else that we need. They do it quickly and with a smile. Sure, in a perfect world everyone would provide all customers with superior service in the normal course of their work. Unfortunately, that's not how it works most of the time. Cash helps.

I apologize for making the rest of you look cheap.

last company i worked for it was the captains job to give the tips, which the company would pay for. But on multiple occasions i would tip the guys cause the captains didnt think they deserved a dime. New company im with will only allow to tip for lavs. and van rides anything else comes out of your own pocket

While linemen will always get paid for looking attentive, I put them to work when possible. After landing, I say "Come with me and help with the bags" in a loud voice while pointing. If they don't get the message, my second statement is "no tip for you!" in my best soup nazi vioce! It works.

I don't usually tip line dudes for normal stuff, as has been mentioned before. And paying $50 for lav service usually makes the tip smaller.

I was a line guy for 10 years. Customer who tipped me well always got better service than the ones that were cheap. First time customers always got good service.

Normally the capitan does all the tipping where I am now, but I will give the line guys something if they are giving good service. Also a well placed $20 will get us a GPU even if there aren't any available....lol

Generally tip $5-$20 a lot of it is based on their attitude and energy. Always tip the guy if we have the lav serviced -- barring he doesn't mess with the hose and then try to shake my hand still wearing his gloves ... really that has happened... gota have appreciation for those doing something that I wouldnt want to do

I always try to give service I feel is worth tipping for. If you choose to thank me for my efforts, it's much appreciated, and if not, oh well. I can't hold it against you poor stiffs whose bosses forbid you from tipping. Afterall, that's who we all work for anyway. Part of my attitude comes from the fact my company pays me pretty well for the job I do and provides me an EXCELLENT wage. If lines guys were paid more than $11/hr in most big cities, you'd see much better service all around. I also know that if you get crappy service, all chances of tips have been eliminated (or significantly reduced... gotta love the pax who tip us for doing nothing!)

As far as "expected" amounts... $5 is farily standard if you choose to tip for lav service. Those that tip for coffe, ice, papers & catering tip up to $5. Van rides are typically $5 per crew (even if the hotel won't provide a shuttle this far out and the cab would cost you $20+). Those handfulls of dollars here and there really do add up.

As far as bags go -- yeah, pax tip for the bags and it really varies widely.

P.S. Flyerjosh, I'm glad to see you tip better now than you did when you were flying the stretched Challenger for a particular IAD based operator. You were a cheap ass back then :)

Was a line guy myself for 2 years. We always knew who the good tippers were that came in often and we would go over the top for them. There would be days I would bring home $30 in tips. Generally always got compliments, even though we had pretty hefty handling fees if you did not purchase minimum fuel.

smellthejeta said:
I always try to give service I feel is worth tipping for. If you choose to thank me for my efforts, it's much appreciated, and if not, oh well. I can't hold it against you poor stiffs whose bosses forbid you from tipping. Afterall, that's who we all work for anyway. Part of my attitude comes from the fact my company pays me pretty well for the job I do and provides me an EXCELLENT wage. If lines guys were paid more than $11/hr in most big cities, you'd see much better service all around. I also know that if you get crappy service, all chances of tips have been eliminated (or significantly reduced... gotta love the pax who tip us for doing nothing!)

As far as "expected" amounts... $5 is farily standard if you choose to tip for lav service. Those that tip for coffe, ice, papers & catering tip up to $5. Van rides are typically $5 per crew (even if the hotel won't provide a shuttle this far out and the cab would cost you $20+). Those handfulls of dollars here and there really do add up.

As far as bags go -- yeah, pax tip for the bags and it really varies widely.

P.S. Flyerjosh, I'm glad to see you tip better now than you did when you were flying the stretched Challenger for a particular IAD based operator. You were a cheap ass back then :)

I was hoping for input from the line side. Very helpful, thanks!

I am based out of a small FBO in FL. We have gone out of our way with our line guys to let them know if they help us, we will tip them. We get reimbursed for tips no questions asked. These guys are so lazy they won't help. Only one guy will do it and more so because he has become pretty friendly with us. When he gets the plane ready for us before we show (coffee, ice, nosepin), I always give him $5. He says he dosen't want it and enjoys doing it for us (a true professional), but of course always takes it. As for the rest of these guys here, I am assuming they get paid crap because they just don't care. The other major problem is these guys have no competiton, only FBO on the field.

I have been to certain places (TEB!!) with well known FBO's that expect a tip for average service.

Do most of these guys "pool" their tips or is what they get theirs???

my 2 cents...........

MP

Latest resources

Back