Tips at FBOs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leardawg

Do you guys regularly tip FBO line personnel, and if so how much?

I don't believe in regular tipping for those who just do their jobs, but do tip those who put in a little extra effort and good attitude, go above and beyond what's expected of them, or do a particularly unpleasant task (i.e. lav service). I'll typically give $5 for bringing coffee/ice/papers (without having to be asked multiple times), for helping me load bags etc. I've given $10 and $20 to those who've really hustled and been helpful.

I'm always curious as to how much others give, and what if anything line people tend to expect (I've heard of Corporate guys throwing around $50 bills like they were confetti).

I tip, but only when I feel that a tip is warrented (along the same lines as you do). If a ramper is willing to give the same level of service to my Citation as he/she gives to the Gulfstream parked next to me, they will most likely get a tip. I will also pre-tip when I feel that it is in my best interest to get things moving along (like on very busy ramps or when I'm in a hurry).

My tips range from $5 to as high as $40 depending on the number of people that help out and the level of service they give/effort required (such as massive amounts of baggage). I think I've given $50 once to a ramper (but that was for exceptional service).

i tip them, but only when I get tiped. If they did their job and it helped me get my share. I make sure I give it to them too.

What really gets me going though, is when you fly XYZ bigshot halfway across the country and then you get on the ground and he turns and tips the lineman for coming out and ckocking the airplane. All the while waving goodbye to you.

mavrck said:
What really gets me going though, is when you fly XYZ bigshot halfway across the country and then you get on the ground and he turns and tips the lineman for coming out and ckocking the airplane. All the while waving goodbye to you.

Boy, I second that!!! I used to fly this idiot who would tip the lineguys for walking out to the airplane. I unloaded the bags from the airplane, loaded them into the car, or vice versa, while the line guys stood there and looked interested. Guess who got the tip.

Just one of the many reasons I'll hate that guy until Ted Kennedy votes Reublican.

O.K. here comes the tightwad outa me...

I will tip for anything out of the normal line of duty. Sorry, but getting the trash and general servicing of the aircraft is just part of the job. Especially if I have to pay some outrageous ramp/handling fee. If they help the passengers with the baggage (which they almost never do IMHO) our passengers will typically tip them. After all, it's not my bags... I find it sorta stupid to tip the linemen for the passengers. If I had been specifically told that it was expected to do this as company policy it would be another story. But I am not going to keep extra cash on me just to cover tips for the passengers. If line service gets stiffed they should be upset at the passengers, not the crew...

Last edited:
BenderGonzales said:
Poor little guy...

You talking about the giant forehead with no hairline? Or the rediculously large jewish nose?

The giant forehead with no hairline. My son shares that trait with me as well. The great tragedy is that he'll actually get to enjoy a whole head of hair before it goes away.

Latest resources

Back