"Tipping" Time for changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JeidiNein and FNFAL,

Time is money, as they say. Imagine yourself being in a CEO's or VP's position. Your salary and benefits add up to as a minimum, 250K to gawd knows what. Every working hour you are not only paid at a good rate but your value is a multiple of what you are paid, in some cases 10X that amount. Do the math and you can see what your value/work hour is. Add another possiblity into the equation. What if you have a group of four upwards to ten that might be travelling with you? What is the value of the collective groups' time? Maybe you want to work together enroute on a flight for customer meeting or looking at another acquisition target. Can't do that on the airlines.

I bring this up simply to point out that the airlines don't fit the business model in terms of productivity and time savings. Add to this that every time you get on an airliner the pilots are an unknown entity.

Yes, you are right that the folks in the back do not put pressure on the crews to fly into unsafe situations, if they are smart. Everyone wants to live, right? My folks tell me all of the time "You are in charge. If you tell me that it is unsafe then we don't want to go."

Corporate aviation is not a choice for corporations who have bottom line problems without adding an aviation department. However, it has been proven many times that having the asset can help increase efficiency, effectivity and the ultimate bottom line.

Both Gulfstream 200 and I have been given opportunities that most can only dream of. I can speak only for myself but I can say that I was in the right place at the right time with the right qualifications for the right company. I am very fortunate, indeed. I never forget who I work for. My job defines me professionally. Fortunately it does not define me personally.

FNFAL, you are not doing anything wrong as far as I know. Just stay educated and work towards being in that right place at that right time with those right qualifications for that right company. It could be the airlines or it could be otherwise. Keep your options open and then go for it!

nope. 95K dont put much in the toybox man...

think about where one must live to fly the bigger equip..major metro areas.

How far you think 95K (or a little more) goes in the greater LA or NY area...you are just hangin on to middle class..you want to get the best return on your money, best schools you can , and decent neighborhoods?....thats 375K to start. now....

- taxes (even if you lie cheat and steal)
- a modest house
- 401Ks
- stock purchases
- college funds
- IRAs
- home repairs on that modest home
- maybe a little bit for entertainment...

you are just getting by...living decent and thankful for it...but thats it!!!

So there I was...Eating lunch at Applebees last week with an empty water glass half way through my meal that included cold fries. BTW I was drinking water cause that's all I could afford, I don't get paid much for what I do. But at any rate, the glass was still empty when I was done eating.

I didn't leave the waitress a tip, should I feel bad about this? For some reason I don't. I think tips are something great for people who deserve them. Those deserving in my book are people who go above and beyond the call of duty to provide a service to paying customers and throw in a great attitude and possibly a neighborly smile from time to time.

Color me cheap but the highschool kid waiting my table that can't refill a beverage or ask if I need anything because he's too busy trying to get in the hostess' pants is not deserving of a tip. This whole percentage thing for tips at restaurants needs to go. Tipping is voluntary, not mandatory. I do understand that their wages are low and they count on tips but then again, you get what you're worth in the public food service industry.

A bit off the whole pilot tipping subject but it pisses me off when people tip for poor service at restaurants. Every one of us knows the routine of operating equipment within it's limitations, federal regulations, and company policy in less than mediocre weather for less than desireable wages and knowing that years of hard work can end for one simple mistake or busting a regulation or policy.

Why should we GIVE this hard earned money to someone that could care less about the end result of their labors?

ShinerBocknabtl said:
I didn't leave the waitress a tip, should I feel bad about this?
Sure you should. How about a reduced tip? Was her only duty to keep your water glass full, or was she doing other things for you? Did you mention to her the cold fries, and if so, how did she handle it?

You could have given her 5 or 10% to make a statement, but you ended up shafting her based on the one part of the meal that you didn't even have to pay for.

The place was dead, she was sitting at a table on the other side of the restaurant talking with friends.

nope. 95K dont put much in the toybox man...

A brand new H2, a few vacations, more Armani attire to make closet stay scenic, some D&G suits, etc. I sure could add to my "toy box". If that is "pocket change" then surely I will accept a donation and be very thankful towards you.:D

3 5 0

I have a problem with tipping. I think that employees should be paid a decent wage by the employer. Anything above that should be because they did a good job, and not because it is semi-mandatory to do so.

I base my restaurant tips on how well the waitress keeps my glass filled. If I have to flag her down or suck on ice, then the tip starts decreasing.

The other tipping situation that I commonly encounter is hotel van drivers. I've personally stopped tipping these people until I can afford to pay my bills. I load/unload my own bags whenever possible.

As a regional airline FO, I make little enough that I qualify for WIC. That is a travesty. And I'll take a pay cut in the next few months. Thank you ALPA for looking out for me.

At least I'm not furloughed.

ShinerBocknabtl said:
The place was dead, she was sitting at a table on the other side of the restaurant talking with friends.
Well that's a different story. That reminds me of the clerks who sit on their arses yapping on the phone while I'm trying to check out. Having a lot of experience waiting tables, I can tell you that, most of the time, leaving an incredibly SMALL tip will usually get their attention more than leaving no tip at all. That way they know you didn't "forget."

FL000 said:
Sure you should. How about a reduced tip? Was her only duty to keep your water glass full, or was she doing other things for you? Did you mention to her the cold fries, and if so, how did she handle it?

You could have given her 5 or 10% to make a statement, but you ended up shafting her based on the one part of the meal that you didn't even have to pay for.

How much could your meal have been? Was it just you? If so, it couldn't have been much more over $15, and you couldn't have left only a buck.

Here's what it is like being a server from my perspective. Pay is 2.13/hr, rarely will I ever see anything higher than $0.00 on my paycheck. Now, where does my pay come from? TIPS!!!

Tipping,
I usually average around 18% and I am dissapointed when I get under 15%. When I am at work, I bust my tail trying to take care of my tables, making sure the drinks are filled and such. I also live in a pretty well to do area, so that may explain why people tip better.

Problems with service,
Double or Triple seating: When the host/hostess seats two or three tables in my section at one time. THiS SUCKS. One table is going to get hosed at first while I get the other tables started with their drinks. However, by the time I get to the delayed table they are usually ready to go with the entire meal order, so that helps out a bit.
Long Meal times: This is pretty much due to problems with the kitchen. I take the order, go over to the computer and put it in. Your order is now out of my hands, when it is ready I will bring it out to you.

Latest resources

Back