• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Tipping" Time for changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The area of aviation where this is a problem does not usually use an FA. You couldn't pay an FA that little.

I empathize with everyone who believes that they are not being paid enough to do their job in aviation. We have been in an economic down cycle. For most aspiring to go to the airlines and continue in that capacity without being furloughed you will probably be disappointed. It is typically a 10 year cycle high to low. If you get in on the beginning up the upswing then you might have a chance. If you come in later you will not have a chance...in other words you will be on the street in some capacity for at least part of your career.

For everyone there are several factors to reaping the money that you expect...this is all about expectations. Be in the right place, at the right time, with the right qualifications with the right attitude and you will probably succeed. If you are missing any of the above four you will not, at least in the near term.

As in any other industry if you are not making what you expected, you are very unhappy about it and it is not paying the bills it is time for a career change. As I once told my wife when she was complaining about her working conditions, quit or quit bitching. She quit. Life is much better for her and I.

It is not uncommon guys, for many in the workforce to change directions, regardless of where they started. Supply and demand determines how many of us can make a living in this business. Bottom line is demand is low right now. It is coming back but it will be some time before we recoup what has been lost.

Keep it professional. Say no to tips and fly safely...always.

No doubt about it, being a pilot was once a profession. Most senior pilots flying now remember when it was no doubt a profession. However, pilots are rapidly becoming technicians. Doctors, degreed engineers, etc, are examples of professionals. Are any of them unionized? Do any of them accept what amounts to slave wages for the first half of their careers?

I don't think so.

I wish that it wasn't true that a being pilot is becoming less of a profession by the minute and more of a technical field. But that is certainly the direction it is headed and the stagnation in wages that has been brought about by regionals, LCCs and what is becoming the demise of the majors is only accelerating it.

There seems to be some recovery in traffic, however you can bet all the smart carriers are going to add capacity very judiciously, when absolutely necessary. So I would not expect a recovery of the majors in time to save several from looming bankruptcies and/or major restructurings.
Sad, but that is the way I see it.

So I would not expect a recovery of the majors in time to save several from looming bankruptcies and/or major restructurings.

Some of my friends went to US Air a long time back. Unfortunately, I think US will be the first to crumble.

Astra wrote -"Big difference between an attorney and many pilots in this business. Education for one. Can you imagine a message board for attorneys where they spew immature, back biting nonsense we see daily on this board?"

Your kidding,right? You must not be in a court room very often or watch TV. The idiotic rantings from barristers is 90% crap. Go sit in a court room and listen. The fellow running the zoo should not be called a judge. More like a referee in a wrestling match between "Bulldog Bletches" and "Curtis the Crusher". Don't even venture into the domain of the slip and fall, asbestoses, and medical pitchmen delivering their spew every 2 minutes on every TV channel. "Can you imagine a message board for attorneys where they spew immature, back biting nonsense". Do you hear your cell ringing? It's Jerry Springer offering you a platform to deliver your "wisdom".

Sorry for jumping on my soapbox, but being a professional pilot like I am I just got done with a nine hour shift delivering pizza. Out of 22 deliveries only 9 tipped.

The line guys are probably making half what you do. Although in a perfect world, the pax should tip the pilot say, an extra 10 bucks an hour then the plot should chip some of that in to the line guys depending on how many services you required on the ground. If you ask for lav, fuel, gpu, potable water, windshiled cleaning, and gold cap cabin cleaning service, I think at least $20 is in order for the line crew. If you just ask for 2 or 3 of those, $10 would be good enough, 1 out of 3 and a tip really isn't necessary, unless of course it was lav service, in which case $5 is usually a reasonable tip.

That's just my take on it.......

$10/hr tip for the crew
$5 line crew tip for a lav
$10 line crew tip for a lav + 2 other services
$20 line crew tip for a lav and more than 2 other services

Catbird,

The TV situations with Doctors and Lawyers making their pitch are viewed by their own kind as being on the lower end of their profession.

Negativity does not help anyone. I focus on what works to keep this profession a profession. Everyone has a choice in how they come across....I prefer to stay on high ground. Do as you wish. I wish you good luck.

$5 for lav service??

c'mon, break off at least a 10 for that miserable job...

Gulfstream 200,

You should have applied to the position we had open. We were in need of an Astra PIC. I believe we are making an offer to a candidate today.

Latest resources

Back