"Tipping" Time for changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LRplt

I can't take it anymore without venting on this subject. After just completing a flight into a mountain airport holding for 30 minutes and shooting an approach to near minimums, the passenger of this chartered flight had the nerve to get off the plane and proceed to tip the line guys $100 each for supervising him getting off the plane. Do these charter passengers realize what the crews go through to get them to their destinations and in the case of Learjets take care of flight attendant duties as well. It's time for those of us flying charter to let the public know that not only is it appreciated to receive a tip, but it should be expected when you provide them with great service. They must think that we all make over 6 figures. It is pretty sad that a Limo driver makes more than us and makes matters worse when we see them handed multiple c-notes just from driving the passenger a couple miles in a car. Unbelievable!!!
JUST HAD TO VENT!!!!!!!

It's a matter of perception.

The question is then, how to educate the public about the current dismal wages for all but the most senior in our business?

I'm open to hearing ideas.

But really, who would be interested in listening, except other pilots??

:eek:

I started to think about this topic after reading an article in the L.A. Times a few weeks ago. The article was talking about services that were provided that involve customary tipping.
Ie. limo driver, waiter, hair stylist, etc. I was thinking that it would be nice to throw tipping charter pilots into the mix. Maybe trying to get another article published somehow. It is time for the public to find out how much charter pilots really make.

I disagree with the mentality that just because you provide a service you now deserve a tip. When a limo driver or a waiter take a job, part of their wages are expected to come from tips. That is not the case for pilots. I can’t ever remember hearing a new hire F/O at a commuter expecting to receive tips because he/she safely flew 8 legs in one day. And we all know how much a new hire gets paid at the commuters. In case you don’t, its not six figures. By the way, how many other professional positions in today’s work force get tips? Lawyers? Doctors? Managers?
I think the gesture of tipping has gotten out of hand. Everybody now expects a tip just for doing the job that he/she was hired to do in the first place.

I disagree with the mentality that just because you provide a service you now deserve a tip. When a limo driver or a waiter take a job, part of their wages are expected to come from tips. That is not the case for pilots.

I think that's his point. If we are seeing such low wages, tipping shopuld be a part of the compensation package.

Professional? How many pilots are being paid as professionals?

Flight instructors? No way.

Check haulers? Nope.

Regional pilots? No.

Charter pilots? Are you kidding?

Show me a lawyer who signs on with a law frim for $18,000.

Last edited:
Most of the pax "assume" the pilots are much more compensated than your typical driver, line guy, csa, etc, etc, so I think a lot has to do with that. When I was flying charter I never "expected" any money but usually I would recieve a tip every now and then. It also think it depends on "who" the pax are and just how often they charter the planes out. The funny thing I remember was always getting invites to golf with pax, go to sporting events with them, etc, etc, and I can only think of one occasion where I had to take them up on the offer since they only had "3' people and needed one more to make a foursome. On this particular flight the pax did NOT understand what the word "NO" meant and after running out of "excuses" on why I did not want to go I finally gave up and had no choice but to go. After a flight I did not look foward to getting up at 7am just to golf at a tour spot even though I love to golf. I learned after this to never give in to pax desires/wishes no matter how much they would pressure.:D :D

3 5 0

I've always found it best to have the flight attendant pass my hat around with a quick PA announcement that I will be accepting tips before landing and based on the amount tipped, it will determine how good the landing will be. I've got all the time in the world to wait, well at least until I'm out of gas........

I understand that a lot of pilot positions do not pay as well as they should, but that is because the employers know that these are usually short term jobs for pilots trying to make their way to a better paying job.
Such is the case for interns at law firms or hospitals. Long days with little pay, if any. They don’t expect a tip. Their reward is when the hard work pays off and they get a permanent position and good wages.
Most pilots are not in this business for the money because if we were, we would probably choose another career. I know I would

Sucks....Been there too. But there is another option. Drive the limo. Ever tip your doctor or mechanic? I'll bet the mechanic who busted his knuckles working on your car, or burned the crap out of his arm working on your exhaust didn't get a tip. You paid his employer for the service you needed performed and didn't think about it again.

Timebuilder,

Big difference between an attorney and many pilots in this business. Education for one. Can you imagine a message board for attorneys where they spew immature, back biting nonsense we see daily on this board?

If we want to be considered professionals in the same category as doctors, lawyers, etc. it might be time we act like it.

Latest resources

Back