• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping the Flight Crews, YES or NO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're in a professional industry, act like it. Do you tip your doctor? Dentist? Lawyer? Plumber? Carpenter? No.

Yes, we are in the Customer Service industry. However, our service is to get the customer from point A to point B as safely as possible and as efficiently as possible within a given time frame. Most of all as safely as possible. It's irrelevent what the public believes we earn per year, quarter, month or day. Our job is to serve them in a safe manner. That's what they pay for. To expect a tip is a disgrace to your fellow pilots and crew members. Please find something else to do in life.
I agree asking for a tip at the end is not professional. However, passing on a seperate service charge to each ticket is a viable option. The carriers in foriegn countries tack on a fuel service charge, why can't we tack on a crew charge. The passengers have enjoyed cheap air travel way too long.

I say YES to that....
I always got tipped when I was flying corporate...why not in the airlines?
We should get a tip jar permanently attached at the door , Part 121 approved by the faa (that's another story!).

It would say: "Tips not mandatory, but greatly appreciated!"

Or having the FA going through the aisle with the jar after the flight and before the seat belt sign off...

That would be good for beers...

You're in a professional industry, act like it. Do you tip your doctor? Dentist? Lawyer? Plumber? Carpenter? No.

Yes, we are in the Customer Service industry. However, our service is to get the customer from point A to point B as safely as possible and as efficiently as possible within a given time frame. Most of all as safely as possible. It's irrelevent what the public believes we earn per year, quarter, month or day. Our job is to serve them in a safe manner. That's what they pay for. To expect a tip is a disgrace to your fellow pilots and crew members. Please find something else to do in life.

When you go to a restaurant, you expect a service as well, but still tip the waiter or waitress...even if it's 90% of his salary, it's not mandatory.

My way, of working for tips only, frees the company of crying, " we cant afford to pay the crews". Under my way, as long as the company fills the seats, the company wont pay a penny to the crews. The airline only has to pay for the empty seats.

And yes, have this "tip" included in the purchase price of the ticket. The company can discount their ticket accordingly to, as "they" are not paying for the crews.

The airlines can never blame the high cost of crews as there down fall. Instead it is now on their own management.

I love the comment about we are in a professional industry. "You don't ask your doctor, lawyer, etc. for tips do you?"

I gurantee our doctors and lawyers aren't scraping by on cup of noodles and free food at hotels to save money so that they can have a normal "professional lifestyle."

I agree tiping would not look professional but, if the carriers would add 6 dollars to every ticket, maybe we would earn more money than idiots who work as gardners, waiters, fast food workers, and maids.

If we can't get the money out of the company, why not try the general public? Tipping seems to be part of life almost everywhere but the airline industry. Why not adapt this thinking in to our industry? It would be a great motivator for employees. In terms the company would benefit too from motivated employees who like to earn a little extra.

Just a thought to inspire conversation.

It never amazes me on some of the threads that are created on this board.........Grow up guys

Latest resources

Back