Tipping the Fast Food Counter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GrnClvrs said:
And while we're at it No tip when a delivery charge is added.

For what it's worth, that "delivery charge" generally doesn't go to the driver who delivered to you. So if you stiff the driver, he just delivered to you for free essentially.

Ok Now you hit a nerve

What BS!!! If we start tipping and it becomes a normal thing to do, corporate america will soon lobby the goverment to reduce fast food workers wages below minimum wage due to the fact that their tips are income.

Tipping, NO NO NO NO NO NO........................................
Another area is tipping the maids at the hotel.
.....Hell no!!! Unless she looks like J-Lo and gives good room- service.

UZAInstructor said:
For what it's worth, that "delivery charge" generally doesn't go to the driver who delivered to you. So if you stiff the driver, he just delivered to you for free essentially.
We use a local mom and pop pizza place once in while and I always toss at least a fiver at the driver, sometimes more if the weather is shooty.

It would cost you five bucks just to start your car and run up the street, if you thought about it.

I figure spread it around, it'll come back to you in one form or another.

SpyFlysDOTs said:
So throwing your change in after paying for your BUCKs is NON pilot like?

Soon as you flash your ID at the local hotel for Breakfast, the wait staff knows to expect a crappy tip?

I guess after my daughter waited during college and called me a Cheap Ars every time I tipped, it got me to think about just what kind of wages they actually make. After having to split the tips with the bar tender, bus boy, and others, it aint much. If you have excellent service, reward it! That tip jar for landings would be awesome, possibly make some pilots work harder on their smoothness.

Speaking of tips, I see the MOST TIP MONEY going to the people pushing the wheel chairs at the airport..usually by people who may not be able to afford it..Sr's. Driving a golf cart, never seemed like it deserved much of a tip..reminding me of IAH..ScusseeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the CartTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! (That got on my nerves)

You totally missed the point. Service is rewarded by all but the most tightwadded pilots. Standing behind a cash register is not a personal service position. Just because they showed the ingenuity to throw a jar in front of said register does not demand a reward. The absolute best fast food workers at my airport are found at the Quiznos, which is proud to NOT accept tips.

I'll throw down large percentages for good waitstaff, even the bad. But I WILL NOT glorify the cash register operator.

Cardinal said:
You totally missed the point. Service is rewarded by all but the most tightwadded pilots. Standing behind a cash register is not a personal service position. Just because they showed the ingenuity to throw a jar in front of said register does not demand a reward. The absolute best fast food workers at my airport are found at the Quiznos, which is proud to NOT accept tips.

I'll throw down large percentages for good waitstaff, even the bad. But I WILL NOT glorify the cash register operator.

Funny, was standing by the gateside bucks last week. The gal behind the Late' machine, was working her ARS off. Probably wouldnt last long at that job, too much work! :)

Cardinal said:

I agree. I'll tip a Denny's waitress $5.00 on a $7.00 meal because they work their butt off. But just because a meal costs more doesn't mean, to me, that the waiter/tress worked harder. Tipping, IMO, has gotten way out of hand. It's almost expected for everything nowadays.

If the subway employees would put more than 4 shreads of lettuce on the sandwich maybe I'd consider tipping...

shamrock said:
As evidenced by the service in Atlanta.
Heh... I think the bagel place in CLE Terminal D must have come directly from ATL, because that's the kind of service she gave.

Took forever to get a simple bowl of chili. There couldn't have been more than three people ahead of me, and I was there for more than 20 minutes. Flight left late, and I told my dispatcher why. (Hey, there's not gonna spring for crew meals, they're going to have to deal with the delays caused by the only available vendors.)

I get to the register, and she's just staring at the thing. (Same woman who scooped my chili.) "Just the chili please," I said.

Snottily, she looks at me: "I Know!"

"Oooohhh... Kay."

"Would you like anything to dr--" She looked up into my cold stare, as I shook my head.

"Oh, right. That'll be...."

Honestly, am I asking too much? They had three people behind the counter, although to be fair, I think... yeah, none of them were working that night. Arrrrgh. The vendors are so bad in CLE.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back