Time To Make The Big Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

Well, Now its time for me to make the decision of what I need to do: CFI or Multi Engine? I could knock the CFI written test out within a week & maybe 2 weeks in Arizona for the checkride. I now have the time to do it Or should I invest the money in a Multi Engine add on & 100 hours of multi time from multiengine.net??? Ohhh it makes my brain hurt!!!!! I Would also Like to meet my goal of 500 hours by 12-14-2005 my 2 year anniversary of obtaining my private. I also made a foolish drunken goal on my birth day in September to have my ATP by 09-2007 : ) Thats Going to be A Fun One.

Any Advice?

Steven Rhine
CP-ASEL-IA
400 Hours TT

It all depends on what your goals are, where you want to be in a year, two years from now. To build hours, your best bet is the CFI. Once you get that, you can knock your ME out pretty quickly, then add the MEI. Even if you took the money and put it into multi-enngine time, there are not many places that will hire with 500/100 (although I hear AWAC hires at those minimums).

Also, with the CFI and then getting your MEI, you may be able to teach in the multi (depending on where you teach) so you would save money on that end.

Your CFI and working as a CFI is the best way to build total hours. For the ATP, you need 1500 total hours. I would go the CFI route, and while teaching, work on your multi engine rating.

Fly_Chick said:
Your CFI and working as a CFI is the best way to build total hours. For the ATP, you need 1500 total hours. I would go the CFI route, and while teaching, work on your multi engine rating.

I vote with Fly_Chick. I think you'd be better off getting your CFI and instructing first. You can bang out the ME any time.

-Goose

Fly_Chick said:
will hire with 500/100 (although I hear AWAC hires at those minimums).

Also, with the CFI and then getting your MEI, you may be able to teach in the multi (depending on where you teach) so you would save money on that end.

The only people in my class and in the class after that had that time were people from Regional Airline Academy that had a type in the aircraft. The lowest time guy in our class without a type had 800 TT, 300 multi and was flying 135 in a EMB-120.

But, that could've changed, I dunno...

~wheelsup

Something to keep in mind is: is there an opportunity for you to instruct after you get your CFI? If you can get the CFI quickly and get a job instructing right away, go for it.

Having said that, I tend to agree with the others, multi is a piece of cake to knock out whenever you get a chance, and CFI will likely get you more opportunities for building time.

It should also be mentioned that this really isn't a "big" decision. Getting your CFI first may be marginally advantageous, but you will have to get them both either way. Don't view this as something that will have significant career implications.

With that said, I'd still get the CFI first. In fact, I did get the CFI first.

-Goose

I got my CFI first and got a CFI job and then used my CFI paycheck to pay for my Multi Rating (the money has to come from somewhere so you might as well get some flight hours earning it). Also used my CFI money to get my CFII and MEI. I got my CFII before I got my Multi because that let me get more students which let me get more money faster which let me pay for my Multi and MEI easier.

Thanks For All The Info Guys, Now just have to find a Good Place To Go Get My CFI?

Latest resources

Back