Time to left seat in majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8raaron

Question from somebody who's logged most of my hours wearing nomex for Uncle Sam... About how many years/hours is a new hire FO looking at before going to the left seat at a major? Any truth to the rumor that AA is rather slow to upgrade? Also, how does progression to larger types work? Would somebody become a B737 Capt before becoming a B747 FO?

Gracias.

av8raaron said:
Question from somebody who's logged most of my hours wearing nomex for Uncle Sam... About how many years/hours is a new hire FO looking at before going to the left seat at a major? Any truth to the rumor that AA is rather slow to upgrade? Also, how does progression to larger types work? Would somebody become a B737 Capt before becoming a B747 FO?

Gracias.

I would say AA is rather slow to upgrade right now.

Wait, did I just flash back 6 years?

Braniff, PSA, TWA, Pan America, Eastern, & Laker...to name a few...are all hiring directly into the left seat and they all love military time. I am not sure what the other majors are doing but you might have to work for one of their feeder companies for a few months first. Good luck!

The question should be "How long back the right seat at major" or "How long until Home Depot at a major"?.

av8raaron said:
Question from somebody who's logged most of my hours wearing nomex for Uncle Sam... About how many years/hours is a new hire FO looking at before going to the left seat at a major?
Gracias.

AV8, this biz is all about cycles. Boom then bust. Right now the entire industry is in the bust mode. With your quality experience you will get hired by someone sometime if you are persistent. Time to upgrade after "getting hired" is all about the hiring cycle and where you came in.

Latest resources

Back