• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
theo said:
Skywest has a reputation amongst most people in the industry as
being a fair place to work as well as a pleasant place to work. You
see most people there believing that a cohesive and cooperative effort
is in the best interests of the whole group.

Your stance is that all of those people are wrong and things are bad at
Skywest. Sorry but your story just doesn't sell very well in the real world.
I don't think anyone thinks things are "bad" at SkyWest, many of us are simply concerned about the current trend. If we wait until things are bad to do something about it, it will be far too late.

Assuming you work for SkyWest, how do you feel about the recent pay proposal? Do you consider 1.2% a reasonable rate increase? How do you feel about the forced 70-seat bid? How do you feel about being required to attend training on awarded days off for normal pay? How do you feel about being required to ride in the actual jumpseat when dead-heading? Forced PBS implementation?

Our representatives spent a great deal of time, and effort "negotiating" for what turned out to be something worse than what we were offered 10 months ago. That must be extremely frustrating for them. If this is the best SGU can do, I'd rather stick with what we have now and express my frustration (by voting no) that while our company can afford to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a large regional, they can't afford a reasonable cost of living increase for their pilots. It wouldn't have taken much to make us feel like they were making an effort.

Last edited:
Even using SGU's arument that the bonus program in addition to the 1.2% makes for a pretty decent raise, that's only for pilots that have 2 years with the company. About 25% of the pilot group does not recieve any of the profit sharing. 1.2% does not cut it when you only make $19.02 an hour living in some of these domiciles we have.

Guys... when shopping for a Union, please understand that ALPA is a great choice.

There is only one thing wrong with ALPA as a national Union... they have no collective stance on bargaining. Now... your local branch of ALPA will be fantastic as long as you put the right people in office. Plus... ALPA national has DEEP pockets when it comes time that you guys need help.

And, the last time I looked at my paycheck, ALPA dues were 2%.

J32driver said:
Guys... when shopping for a Union, please understand that ALPA is a great choice.

There is only one thing wrong with ALPA as a national Union... they have no collective stance on bargaining. Now... your local branch of ALPA will be fantastic as long as you put the right people in office. Plus... ALPA national has DEEP pockets when it comes time that you guys need help.

And, the last time I looked at my paycheck, ALPA dues were 2%.
I think we have an idea who won't be in office at our local ALPA. There are some guys that are very anti-SAPA and pro-union. I hope they step up and run for office

Facts!? Why use those when I've already got my mind made up? :rolleyes: Unfortunately, there are many SkyWest pilots with no idea about the facts regarding ALPA. It's not all wine and roses, but 6%?! Where do people get this garbage?

Steveair said:
ALPA is no good and the teamsters are worse! The teamsters are the lowest people anywhere.

I'll keep my 3-6% union dues in my pocket, thank you.

In the first place, if your time is correct, you haven't been around long enough to form an opinion about a union.

In the second place, I doubt you would say " teamsters are the lowest people anywhere" to his or her face. They would send you on a trip to meet Jimmy Hoffa, if you're old enough to know who he was.

And third, dues are 1.95%.

viper548 said:
There are some guys that are very anti-SAPA and pro-union. I hope they step up and run for office
And I hope some of those guys do not step up and run. We need level headed pilots in office, not people that want to fight with management because they are pissed.

strega7 said:
And I hope some of those guys do not step up and run. We need level headed pilots in office, not people that want to fight with management because they are pissed.

I'm not sure that because you are disapointed in SAPA, and want ALPA that you automatcally are a hot-head that wants to pick a fight. There is probably some middle ground to be found.

Have the guys who think that this might be a good raise actually calculated this on their own pay scale? Take what you got and multiply that by 1.012 and see just how much that really is.

Latest resources

Back