Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cezzna

Remeber the analog
I never though I would say this, but I seriously think the only thing that will save the airline industry is to re-regulate it. I'm no fan of big government and I'm sure they would screw a lot of it up, but what else can be done? I think the airlines have proven since 1978 that they can't get it right. The free market just isn't working for this industry. Lives are being ruined, everyone is bankrupt year after year, the pensions are gone. This industry needs some stability. The only way to make these airlines charge what they should be charging is to make them do it.

As your presidential candidate on the Reform Party Ticket...

I promise to re-regulate the Airlines and all their industries and labor...

I promise to ensure that all workers earn 55,000 a year untill the day they die or stop working, whichever comes first...

I promise to make your job safer for you and your passengers, by legislating and requiring automation by 2015...

There will be no layoffs under my new re-organization plan, I will structure the new airlines under the Federal Transportation System and under such system, even empty airliners will be able to fly their routes. Taxation of the citizens will cover the bill once all airline employees become FTS workers...

I tend to agree with at least partial regulation.

At the very LEAST waive the aviation fuel tax. By the end of the week we may have 4 major airlines operating under bankruptcy protection. By the end of the month it may be joined by at least one more (Indy).

Southwest CEO says that without their fuel hedges even THEY can not make money with energy prices this high.

Our economy is dependant upon the airlines for better or for worse.

Any business model wherein multiple players rely on bankruptcy protection to operate is obviously unsustainable.

Since when has the government done anything right? Isn't there a chance that the reason why we have the problem we have today is because of regulation for so many years?

Old habits die hard, but as soon as Uncle Sam lets one of these bloated companies go down the drain, I'll bet things straighten up pretty quick. Fed Ex and UPS manage to pay their guys well. Southwest does great. Why shouldn't the rest learn and deal with it?

We don't need the government to step in when this thing is getting closer to being fixed. I don't need to pay my taxes so somebodies son can get a huge check because he saved $100000 but will cost the company millions later.

Tired-

Thats great that those companies are very fortunate in their current business practices. However, even comparing Southwest to any of the legacy carriers is like comparing apples to oranges. Southwest has always concentrated on keeping fares low and providing service within the US. The legacy carriers have expanded their reach to surround the globe and provided several levels of service such as coach, first, and business classes. That type of operation is vastly different than Southwest. So it is truely unfair to compare the two based on the fact they have night and day business models.

The partial deregulation of the industry has certainly made the sustainment of the airline industry questionable. It has allowed some companies to cherry pick while disallowing true competition. Partial deregulation is the worst possible situation for the airlines, as it allows neither the benefits of complete regulation nor complete deregulation. In the end the consumer is who truely won, as I suppose the intent of the derugulation was. Unfortunately, this comes at the expense of all those who work in the industry who have given into the pockets of consumers their wages and retirements. But more than anybody else, the one group who has done more to prop up failing airlines and have kept this industry from any possibility of regaining some sort of health are the financiers such as GE Capital who continually bail the bankrupt companies out and prolong life from what should have been inevitable demises.

We don't need the government. We need responsible CEO. If a company can't make money because they don't charge enough, share holders should do something about it through the board of chairmen.

And for the private companie, if it's owner want to trash his company it is his right to do so.

Remember that you have the right to not sign a contract that you don't like, but many are under the SJS and will do anything.

PaulThomas said:
Remember that you have the right to not sign a contract that you don't like, but many are under the SJS and will do anything.
As your president, I will appoint a Ministry of Syndromes. The Ministry will ensure that there are no Shiny Jets...which should end SJS, once and for all.

Latest resources

Back