• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Ok folks, this time it's for real, well at least for me. Here's my situation:

Applied, interviewed, and offered a job at Eagle. Should have a class date pending CA's review tomorrow. (Congrats to all those in my interview group--we all seemed pretty strong, and I was actually pretty surprised at age 30 to be one of the youngest ones there, but I digress.) Selected ORD as a base, and plan on commuting from SLC (7-8 flights per day, long flight, but shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting on one. Commuting sucks, but this one shouldn't be bad, as far as commutes go.) I was really impressed with the operation there in DFW and actually left pretty excited about being part of the AMR family. The interview was stressful, at least the paperwork part of it, and I'd like it to actually count for something.

I applied at SkyWest the same day that I applied at Eagle, and it took them a couple weeks to offer an interview. At first, I got an email that said that I'd been invited to SLC for a group interview, and I thought that I'd have to pay my own way. I chose a date, and it turns out that I had been invited for the full-blown interview, with an offer for space-positive travel arrangements (sweet!) So that will happen sometime next week. I would have been sweating this, but having an offer at another airline that I'd really like to work at takes all the stress out of it.

I'm wanting SLC as a base or commuting platform, because my NH native girlfriend will be in school in the area for the next couple years (hint: Go Cougars!) If I blow the SkyWest interview, then I guess it's a no-brainer. If they both offer, then I have some decisions to make. First year pay for an FO at SKW is pretty crappy, but they promise really good pay in the 2nd year, and a relatively quick upgrade... as I type this anyway--it could all change tomorrow!

Eagle pays much better the first year, and I've been hearing that reserve at ORD is fairly short, although I could be wrong. The upgrade is longer than at SkyWest though, but not nearly as long as it used to be.. at least as I type this--it could all change tomorrow!

So, I guess the question is whether commuting is worth the (much) better FO pay, and if remaining in SLC is in the long range plan. (I grew up in SLC, so I'm not a stranger to it and I miss my mountains every day. However, spending 6 years in the East has gotten me accustomed to these green things called trees and this other cool thing called water. UT doesn't really have much of either--I think the PacNW would be perfect for me... but Horizon isn't hiring!!)

Any comments would be welcomed. I even enjoy the odd sarcastic comment.

Take care,
Goose

Ok folks, this time it's for real, well at least for me. Here's my situation:

Applied, interviewed, and offered a job at Eagle. Should have a class date pending CA's review tomorrow. (Congrats to all those in my interview group--we all seemed pretty strong, and I was actually pretty surprised at age 30 to be one of the youngest ones there, but I digress.) Selected ORD as a base, and plan on commuting from SLC (7-8 flights per day, long flight, but shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting on one. Commuting sucks, but this one shouldn't be bad, as far as commutes go.) I was really impressed with the operation there in DFW and actually left pretty excited about being part of the AMR family. The interview was stressful, at least the paperwork part of it, and I'd like it to actually count for something.

I applied at SkyWest the same day that I applied at Eagle, and it took them a couple weeks to offer an interview. At first, I got an email that said that I'd been invited to SLC for a group interview, and I thought that I'd have to pay my own way. I chose a date, and it turns out that I had been invited for the full-blown interview, with an offer for space-positive travel arrangements (sweet!) So that will happen sometime next week. I would have been sweating this, but having an offer at another airline that I'd really like to work at takes all the stress out of it.

I'm wanting SLC as a base or commuting platform, because my NH native girlfriend will be in school in the area for the next couple years (hint: Go Cougars!) If I blow the SkyWest interview, then I guess it's a no-brainer. If they both offer, then I have some decisions to make. First year pay for an FO at SKW is pretty crappy, but they promise really good pay in the 2nd year, and a relatively quick upgrade... as I type this anyway--it could all change tomorrow!

Eagle pays much better the first year, and I've been hearing that reserve at ORD is fairly short, although I could be wrong. The upgrade is longer than at SkyWest though, but not nearly as long as it used to be.. at least as I type this--it could all change tomorrow!

So, I guess the question is whether commuting is worth the (much) better FO pay, and if remaining in SLC is in the long range plan. (I grew up in SLC, so I'm not a stranger to it and I miss my mountains every day. However, spending 6 years in the East has gotten me accustomed to these green things called trees and this other cool thing called water. UT doesn't really have much of either--I think the PacNW would be perfect for me... but Horizon isn't hiring!!)

Any comments would be welcomed. I even enjoy the odd sarcastic comment.

Take care,
Goose

If you like the PacNW, you might like our PDX domicile?!

nope, go to skyw. fo pay sucks all around. make it through the first year and you will still have a GF, commute, and GF goes bye bye, but you make 400 more a month.

on another note, there is no reason to have a gf, because you will be nose deep in hot fas

Goose -
First of all, BYU licks my ballz.

Second, I'd probably hold out for SkyWest if I were you. Say you'd be commuting out of SLC, you'd have to have a crashpad in ORD for a while, which would negate the higher Eagle pay - not to mention eating on the road all the time and the stress of commuting. It is also quite possible you could get assigned the S340 in JFK and life would be hell commuting from SLC. Its a crapshoot like anything else.

It wasn't very long ago at all when I was trying to make these decisions for myself. Unfortunately, it's a decision that has to be purely up to you, since you have your own motivations. If being in SLC, close to family, your girl, hometown is important - I think you have your answer.

I had some other opportunities before SkyWest and held out for a little while because I thought this was the place for me to be. I AM VERY GLAD I DID.

Give the SkyWest interview a shot. If you don't make it, then go to Eagle and you can always make up your mind from there.

Give the SkyWest interview a shot. If you don't make it, then go to Eagle and you can always make up your mind from there.

That's the plan. I guess I'm just posting here so I can be well-informed. I'll shoot you that PM when I know the exact date of the interview (I requested a change and they haven't gotten back to me.)

Being close to hometown, old friends, family is marginal. My folks are wonderful people, but I don't think they really miss me that much... not in a bad way, but I think they are enjoying their "empty-nest" status--some parents have a lot of trouble with that, but not my folks!! I love it back home, but like I said, I love it here in New England (particularly NH) just as much, and I'm sure I'll love other parts of the country. I could love Dallas, Chicago, Cleveland etc., etc. (I couldn't love LGA.) Being close to the girl is good, but honestly she'll be so busy with school... I'm just glad that I have a way to see her at all. For a while there it seemed like I'd see her every once every semester. Now it looks like a few days a week. She's a science major, and a motivated one at that, so most of her time is already spoken for. The commute will work for now. It's a distinct possibility that I bail for a frac after I get 2500 total anyway, so the commute then will be a whole different ballgame.

On the other hand, SKW (and Delta) are the airlines that I dreamed about flying for as a kid growing up in the area, and it's cool to have that chance to fly there. The quick upgrade doesn't hurt either.

Anyway, I'll give SkyWest an honest chance. I'll go to the interview, and see how I feel... and how the interviewer feels. ;)

-Goose

Last edited:
on another note, there is no reason to have a gf, because you will be nose deep in hot fas

Not so much of a factor for me... (hint: Go Cougars!)
Besides, it's been a good while since I saw a hot FA, at least at a regional.

-Goose

Last edited:
well, if you go to AE, at least you can still respect yourself in the morning!!!!!!

Um..........it's a Regional.....there is no repect.

I spent 5 years at Eagle commuting to ORD from SLC. It Sucked. I'm now at SkyWest and as happy as can be!!

Yea, I was going to say, considering how many people have jumped ship from AE to SKW speaks for itself. I doubt there is that many the other way around.

But, beware. We do have some problems in the company right now. Don't go buying a big Koolair pitcher just yet.

Still, about the best regiuonal to work for in my opinion. (just ain't sayng much these days)

Latest resources

Back