• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ticket mess

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago (over 20) I had my driver license suspended for excessive speeding. Every time I renew my medical certificate I have to check that box stating that my driving privileges have been suspended. I have managed to keep my record clean since then. If anyone asks, confess. Tell them you were young and stupid and you've learned your lesson. Of course you better not have any more tickets to prove that you really have learned to be responsible. Good luck.

If I'm not mistaken, you only have to check that box if your license was suspended due to an alcohol or drug offense.

I spoke with an aviation attorney *and* a local attorney.

I'm going to fight the tickets and see what falls out. Box 18V, on the medical, requires a "Yes" answer if:

+ You've been convicted of an alcohol / drug offense (61.15 violation to boot)
+ You've entered into a alcohol / drug treatment program in lieu of conviction
+ You've had your license suspended
+ You've taken a remedial course in lieu of license suspension

The attorney informed me that most people read the form wrong, send it in, and get nailed for lying on their medical application. I've been told by both a senior AME and the attorney that an application for medical CANNOT be denied based on having a license suspension / remedial training IF it had nothing to do with alcohol -- but make sure you go to a knowledgeable AME, some AME's deny on sight and let OKC figure it out.

What a mess.... but thanks for the replies guys! I'm still young, and I figure that I'll be able to put this behind me, CFI, maybe even fly frieght or charter. I've had a couple guys email me on the side and say that as long as I'm honest (which everyone advocated), upfront, and come clean, that I'm showing that I have the ability to shape and form my judgement -- critical to being an airline pilot.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Driving problems

Aside from keeping your pedal off the metal, you need to level the playing field. By that I mean that you should acquire all of your driving records so you know what others know about your driving history and through the same records they would obtain.

Order your driving records from each state in which you've held driver's licenses. Chances are, you can go to your local office of your state motor vehicle department and get them on the spot. The next thing you should do, pertinent to 14 CFR 61.15, is order your records from the National Driver Register. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/perform/driver . Read the FARs. They make a big deal about the NDR. Review your records. Although you might have convicted of three speeding tickets, your actual driving records may reflect lesser (or greater) actual convictions. In any event, you have a right to see these records.

You did a smart thing when you saw the two attorneys and got advice. Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
According to the people at AOPA, if you read the box carefully, it says a suspension due to an alcohol or drug offense.

Imploded,

Become familiar with 14 CFR 61.15.

Denial or suspension of a pilot or medical certificate based on motor vehicle actions refers specifically to a conviction for alcohol or drug offenses. It does NOT refer to speeding citations, yelling at cops, or having too many poodles in a volkswagen.

(I believe you'll find that poodles issues are covered by 91.13, careless and reckless operation).

I hope this helps you as much as it's helped me. Slow down, and steer clear of poodles.

I re-read my initial post, and I didn't mean for it to come across quite so scathing, but I do think I made a good point. You need to seriously evaluate your driving habits and realize that this behavior is truly unaccptable and that people with suspended licenses SHOULD have a hard time getting airline jobs.

The advice given is good advice. You absolutely must come clean and not lie in an interview. The deck is stacked against you since this is very recent. As an interviewer, I would not buy the "I've learned from my mistakes" argument unless you had a significant period (several years) of clean driving to prove that you've learned something. That really is your only option in an interview, but until you've proven that you actually can be safe and follow the rules, it's an uphill battle. They asked me about a citation that I had for expired tags. (couldn't afford new ones, being a CFI and all.) As petty as it might seem, it is so important that we follow rules in our profession, and I had done somthing that demonstrated that I find it acceptable to break rules. In the interview, I took full responsibility for my foolishness, and that was the end of it. Then again, I don't put a plane or my pax in danger by flying an unregistered aircraft. I could very well endanger folks by not observing airspeed regs.

Was on an interview a while back at a regional and while sitting in the tank waiting, I happened to strike up a conversation with the kid next to me. Turns out he had 500 TT, 50 ME, 2 speeding tickets, pilot license suspension for flying too low, and 2 busted checkrides (Instrument and CFI). No lie, he got the job.

Also have a buddy I use to fly with that has had a couple (yes, not 1 but 2) DUI's and a drug offense (troubled yute, I think that's what My Cousin Vinny called it). He now flies for a regional.

So keep your head up and take the foot off the gas. With a 100 hours in the logbook, you have plenty of time to show your strengths.

Latest resources

Back