• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thunderstorms, anyone fly thru them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just wondering. I know they contain every danger known to man and airplane but my boss wants me to fly thru or under them and I don't feel it's safe. Thoughts?

Do it, and your underwear will be a different color on the other side!

Find a new boss.

Bryan, I worked for a few bosses like yours. He/she is an idiot - find another job. In the mean time you could try some tried and true replies to similar boss stupid ideas:

1. Could you go first and explain how it is done. I'll wait here and watch.

2. Where is the reference for (what ever stupid act) in the company manual? Are you asking me to not follow approved procedure?

3. (My favorite that worked several times) I'm just not sure about that, I’m going to call (Inspector's first name) at the FSDO and get his take on this.

Ignorance can be cured with education; stupidity can only be cured with death.

Bryan, you out there? Making me nervous not answering these posts. You didn't fly through any $hit did ya?

Just wondering. I know they contain every danger known to man and airplane but my boss wants me to fly thru or under them and I don't feel it's safe. Thoughts?

don't do it. end of story PERIOD

ps are you still alive

I just flew through one on the way here...no big deal....I dont know what the big fuss is over....what's my airplane doing in a parking lot....why am I not in it....where am I...........................

i think we should differenciate between categories of storms. a 1,2, maybe 3, can be flown through. 4, 5 stay away. if you have flown enough imc you probably have gone through at least something. of course they are scary but if you follow proper procedures just like ice you can still make it where you are going. with most peoples sentiments on this board one would think that most are too scared to even get in a plane let alone fly it. we all should error on the side of safety but how much is too much.

i think we should differenciate between categories of storms. a 1,2, maybe 3, can be flown through. 4, 5 stay away. if you have flown enough imc you probably have gone through at least something. of course they are scary but if you follow proper procedures just like ice you can still make it where you are going.

Simply because one "can make it," does not mean one should.

Common sense if often the better part of valor. Your statement lacks this.

Do you understand why one should not fly through a thunderstorm?

Yes but back in the 60's during "good ole days", no wx radar, 1200 NM from the nearest reporting station, no satellite imagery, you sometimes just kinda ran into them.

That was before all of the famous crashes, ( or at least reported) DFW...windshear, Little Rock.....AA, I know there's more!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back