Thunderstorms, anyone fly thru them?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bryan D

Just wondering. I know they contain every danger known to man and airplane but my boss wants me to fly thru or under them and I don't feel it's safe. Thoughts?

Not recommended

Used to, no wx radar on our P-3's in the 60's, crossing the Atlantic FL250 IFR ran into embedded TW's a couple times, You really get bounced around. Everyone had to be strapped in, rain sounds like machine guns. If there were really bad, a good operator on the surface search radar, APS 125, could pick'em out. Please correct me if I am wrong, there was a rule you could use to fly under them, 1/3 the distance below the frezzing level. Then again we used to fly in frezzing rain also.

Last edited:
ARE YOU NUTS? **DO NOT** fly through thunderstorms no matter what aircraft you are in - are you looking for a deathwish? If you get stuck in one, you will probably get bounced around so much that you may impose structural damage. Thinking about flying underneath them? You can get up to 6000 fpm downdrafts ! There is a reason why airliners avoid them like the plague !

Duh!

Several years ago, a joint USAF/NOAA project called "Rough Rider" placed data recorders in fighter planes and test pilots flew them into thunderstorms. I saw some of the pictures: smashed radomes, cracked canopies, dented wings, etc.
No one needs to collect any more data of this :smash: kind.

Read E. Gann, another pre-radar guy who flew them he describes it well.

Just look at the NTSB data base on accidents involving thunderstorms. Every year a plane of some size is either severly damaged or is thrown out the bottom of a thunderstorm in a great, big pile of crummpled aluminum. I think those who don't make it through are the ones who really went through a storm. Everyone else was just close enough. It takes skill and experience to Not go through a CB...it takes total lack of knowledge and judgment to be in one.

I've done it in Lears doing weather research and modification. My strongest advice is to stay well clear of thunderstorms. Forces exist inside which may easily exceed the performance and structural capabilities of any aircraft ever built.

Inside cells I've encountered extreme turbulence, severe icing (up to three inches in one pass through a cell), and lightening which burned holes through control surfaces, fuel tanks, and up and down the sides of the aircraft. A year ago my own laptop was in a padded bag secured in the baggage, and had it's internals forcibly extracted from the forces encountered passing adjacent to a cell...not even through a cell. Additionally, one of my headsets, worn by an equipment operator in back, was broken. We encountered a strong buffet, shaker, and stick pusher and a roll of about 90 degrees when the bottom fell out. That was a mild event compared to what you can find in there.

I've been inside them in other aircraft too, and in every case can think of many other places I'd rather be. Again, I'd strongly recommend staying clear.

Unless of course you're in a 210 or Baron flying cancelled checks and bottles of whizz according to some chuckleheads here who claim to do it " all the time" :rolleyes:

I'd tell the guy in no uncertain terms what to do with himself and look for other work. Nobody needs their rubber dog doo that badly.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back