• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thrust reverse...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am looking for a pic or diagram of these.

Sliding cuff TRs was probably a poor choice of words on my part to describe the system.

From the Volume 2 (ops manual): The TR system on the MD-90 consists of cold-ducts (C-ducts), translating sleeves, blocker doors, and cascades. As the translating sleeve moves aft, it moves the blocker doors down and uncovers the cascades, which direct the flow of fan air outward and forward through the cascades. The doors are are shaped to fit together to form a complete barrier across the air duct and block the flow of air through the duct.

There....clear as mud?

Bottom line.....you're not going to drag a bucket on the MD-90 (because they didn't have any) like you could on the MD-88. Like I said, for the sake of standardization we (at Delta) didn't deploy the TRs on either aircraft until the NW was on the ground.

Last edited:
I used to fly with a guy in a Sabre 40 that deployed them in the flare on really short runways. Worked really well in that aircraft.

Exactly what do you think would happen if only one bucket opened while airborne?

Also 400A, in regards to "it depends on the runway length". Landing distance is not even including T/R's. So how could you justify an accident to the FAA if you lost directional control b/c you didnt have the nosewheel down.

Again, we are risk managers and I can't find a reason to take that risk.

Good info on the DC9 series....

Any thoughts on Boeing.. 757 or 747? How about airbus??

The A-320 requires the respective main gear squat switch to be compressed to get reverse...which is only cold stream anyway and not very effective. The DC-9 had no provision to prevent inflight reverse selection, just procedure. As to the reversers blocking the rudder some how, I say poppy cock. With about 15,000 landings in DC-9's in Northern Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota with wild crosswinds on icey runways I can assure anyone the rudder works just fine with lots of reverse applied. After the Little Rock accident American's school house came up with that lame excuse and the NTSB and Boeing bought it. If it had not been an MD-80 it would have departed the side of the runway long before the end with the technique that was used. No auto-brakes armed, no auto-spoilers armed and steering the ailerons like a car. ARG! Rant over. :)

I saw a global express land in MTH once and the reversers were deployed almost coincident with touchdown. Do globals have auto-reversers? Someone told me they pull up the levers prior to touchdown and when the ground safe switches close they deploy??? Is this true?

As to the reversers blocking the rudder some how, I say poppy cock. With about 15,000 landings in DC-9's in Northern Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota with wild crosswinds on icey runways I can assure anyone the rudder works just fine with lots of reverse applied. After the Little Rock accident American's school house came up with that lame excuse and the NTSB and Boeing bought it. If it had not been an MD-80 it would have departed the side of the runway long before the end with the technique that was used. No auto-brakes armed, no auto-spoilers armed and steering the ailerons like a car. ARG! Rant over. :)[/quote]

I was made aware of the rudder "block out" by former Ozark drivers as well as instructors who had lots of time in type. It was not to say that the rudder became IN-effectve but LESS effective due to airflow being reduced by the buckets being deployed... Therefore the requirement for the nose to be on the ground before thrust reverse was applied. I'm certain AA came up with whatever excuse they could to detract from the pilots hosing up the landing in LIT. Trust me, I wouldn't take ANY info from AA's training center as something as knowledge. I worked for a company that was "acquired" by AA and I am aware of the the NUMEROUS problems/incidents AA had with flying the S80 during the last few years of shrinkage.... and it has not been pretty. I see that as a direct result of the training out of DFW.

By the way, that's quite a few landings in winter weather up in those parts....I would have hated to have your schedule! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back