Thrust reverse...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow.... the nose wheel discussion...

Unless there is an aircraft specific limitation that says not too...

Real pilots deploy the TR with the nose wheel UP!! Get into the books then get back to this thread....

Ummm can the Rev even join in this discussion since we all know the regionals are trying to save 3 cents a landing by avoiding TR useage.

Cessna has told us not to deploy unless the nose wheel is down to prevent they hydraulic spike.

The 717 reversers won't deploy until the nose wheel is on the ground regardless of what you've done with the levers in the cockpit. Something about the big buckets coming too close to the ground with the nose in the air.

CRJ reverse thrust seemed to be pretty much useless except as a noise maker.

DoJet didn't have it...didn't need it. Big carbon brakes worked really well.

717 limitation might be a DC-9 carry over... anyone??

CRJ.... works good last long time...

Dork.... straight wing.......

Are those of you who think it's okay to deploy the reversers with the nosewheel in the air, especially those of you with wing-mounted engines, absolutely sure you have enough rudder authority to keep it between the white lines if only one reverser deploys or spools up?

Not sure why I deleted my post...meant to in another thread. Maybe it's time to put the beer away.

Are those of you who think it's okay to deploy the reversers with the nosewheel in the air, especially those of you with wing-mounted engines, absolutely sure you have enough rudder authority to keep it between the white lines if only one reverser deploys or spools up?

Perhaps my tailwheel time gives me a false sense of security... most guys give up about five feet off the ground with Xcross winds, side gear loads and no aileron during roll out..... but I don't stop flying the jet till its clear of the runway..... that includes TR deployment. :D

Since TR is most effective at higher speeds... An effective way to use TR is to get the reversers configured while the TW is still up, meaning the buckets or cascades deployed. Once the nose wheel is down then increase the thrust from idle. This way one is not wasting time waiting for the NW to derotate as stopping distance is reduced....

What is really comes down to is policy. Otherwise it is just technique...

Last edited:
Not a carry-over from DC9/MD80

717 limitation might be a DC-9 carry over... anyone??

.....I did not know that about the B717. It is not a carry-over from the DC9 or MD80. Both versions of the DC9 type will allow the TRs to deploy regardless of the nose wheel position.

Tid Bit: SAS had a technique of flying Ref + 5 over the numbers and deploying the TRs just before touch down. This was used when landing on short, icy runways with auto-brakes and spoilers. At least that is what a couple of former SAS pilots told me.

.....I did not know that about the B717. It is not a carry-over from the DC9 or MD80. Both versions of the DC9 type will allow the TRs to deploy regardless of the nose wheel position.

Tid Bit: SAS had a technique of flying Ref + 5 over the numbers and deploying the TRs just before touch down. This was used when landing on short, icy runways with auto-brakes and spoilers. At least that is what a couple of former SAS pilots told me.

Did squat switches allow that? The DC-8 was the only one I had ever heard of reversing in flight.

I did know of an idiot that used to do it in a E-90. Scared the crap out of me.

Since TR is most effective at higher speeds... An effective way to use TR is to get the reversers configured while the TW is still up, meaning the buckets or cascades deployed. Once the nose wheel is down then increase the thrust from idle. This way one is not wasting time waiting for the NW to derotate as stopping distance is reduced....

What is really comes down to is policy. Otherwise it is just technique...

That is exactly the way we do it. It helps the nose gear sit down softer as well. As you mentioned, I have flown with many guys who relax the entire yoke the minute one wheel touches. YUK!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back