• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thoughts on Anchorage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You could buy a shack in Canyon County for under 300,000. And that includes a trout stream in your back yard. Or if you don't mind a little drive like an hour and half depending on traffic you could live in Wrightwood. Its up in the mountains by a ski resort. Buy a lot for 60,000 and use the rest to build your dream home.

Anchorage winters are about like Chicago's, but you do get hit with some -40 weeks. Big problem with winter is not the intensity, but the length. Snow is still covering ground in April, and you've been longing for Spring since late Feb. Those last 8 weeks can be tough. That aside--loved it up there for 3.5 great years.

AlbieF15 said:
Anchorage winters are about like Chicago's, but you do get hit with some -40 weeks. Big problem with winter is not the intensity, but the length. Snow is still covering ground in April, and you've been longing for Spring since late Feb. Those last 8 weeks can be tough. That aside--loved it up there for 3.5 great years.

Anchorage doesn't get temps to -40. In extremely rare occurances you might see a spike to -30 near the mountains. the average Jan temp is the mid 20s. Warmer than MSP. And when it's cold for the most part the wind is calm.

thanks for all the replys guys. If this next bid has vacancys up there, does anybody know if training dates are awarded strictly on senority or on staffing need (ie we need crews up there faster than MEM so they get trained first).

inline said:
Anchorage doesn't get temps to -40. In extremely rare occurances you might see a spike to -30 near the mountains. the average Jan temp is the mid 20s. Warmer than MSP. And when it's cold for the most part the wind is calm.

Anchorage does get temps down to -40. I've seen in on many occasions while living there. Doesn't happen too often anymore, due to the last few winters being very mild but 5-10 years ago, we were seeing -30, -40 type of temps.

The lowest official temperature ever recorded in ANC is -34F in Jan. 1975 according to yahoo weather. The city does have a lot of microclimates, -40 could be possible on the east side of town.

Yahoo weather?

I can distinctively remember back when I was in junior high school one morning, before I walked outside my house to walk across the street to catch the bus to school, I looked at the thermometer. It read -40F in the early morning. THis was in the late 80's.

Back before yahoo....

I lived there from 1979-1983 and never had anything approach -40. Back before there was yahoo wx and cheap outdoor thermometers.
turbodriver said:
Yahoo weather?

I can distinctively remember back when I was in junior high school one morning, before I walked outside my house to walk across the street to catch the bus to school, I looked at the thermometer. It read -40F in the early morning. THis was in the late 80's.

Back before yahoo....

From the National Weather Service's website, record low temps for ANC:

Top 5 Minimum Low Temperatures
-38 degrees...........February 3, 1947
-37 degrees...........February 4, 1947
-36 degrees...........December 25, 1917
-36 degrees...........December 24, 1917
-35 degrees...........January 30, 1947

Latest resources

Back