Thoughts on Anchorage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Reddie

Anchorage Mad Dog guys (or anyone else who has lived there)
Looking for opinions on living in Anchorage vs MEM (QOL, cost, Schools, ect).
Also good areas to live in and any good real estate agents.
The wife has finally had enough of MEM and we're looking at options before the next bid.
Thanks

Reddie said:
The wife has finally had enough of MEM and we're looking at options before the next bid.
Thanks

Doesn't the US Gov't pay people to inhabit Alaska??? Thats got to be a plus.

Reddie said:
Thanks

If your wife and kids don't mind the winters and the cold I would have moved to ANC. All trips out of ANC are international pay, cost of living could be worse (LAX) and there are lots of outdoor activities for family and kids.

For me, ANC was too cold for the wife and MEM was NOT even a consideration.

GL

You get a check every year as an AK resident called a Divident check. Check out a small town just north of Anchorage called Eagle River. It's less than 30 minutes from the airport. Nice little town. Anchorage is actually not as bad as say Chicago or Minnesota during the winter. It's dry and mild during the winter. I never actually lived there but spent about 9 years flying through and layover there; sometimes as long as 4-5 days at a time.

psysicx said:
Is it true the sun doesn't set in ANC in the summer?
It sets, but at around 11:40pm and rises around 4:20am (end of June)... In the summer it never gets totally dark at night, always a bit of twilight... At least from the beginning of June till about the end of July...

Now at the end of December it sets around 3:45pm and rises around 10:15am...

Now in Barrow, AK, the sun rises on May 11 and doesn't set until August 1, of course it sets on Nov 19 and doesn't rise again until January 22 (for a whopping 49 minutes of sunlight!)

Last edited:
Whale Rider said:
Doesn't the US Gov't pay people to inhabit Alaska??? Thats got to be a plus.

THe program is called the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend and is run by the Alaska Department of Revenue. Here is a look at their five-year history:
2004 - $919.84
2003 - $1,107.56
2002 - $1,540.76
2001 - $1,850.28
2000 - $1,963.86

You can get more dividend history at: http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/dividendamounts/index.aspx

And dont get your panties in a bunch about free money either. It ain't tax free.

I don't miss getting it myself. It just pushes my taxable income that much higher.

ANC is nice, more so in the summer...Ya tolerate the winters...Then there is the non-stop pax flight to Hawaii for a week of R&R...Or it used to be.

I got married in ANC and did the honeymoon in Hawaii...6 hours straight South on a DC-10 if memory serves right,

So, yeah, ANC is good and far milder than ORD or MNP in the winter..

Also good people up there.

Would move back in a flash if I was not hooked on Florida anf them Bahamian Islands and my sail boat.

Purple Tail,

Where do guys live in LA? Is it possible to get anything nice for 300,000? Are LA Guys worried about the Domicile closing? Thinking about trying for LA on the next bid.

Latest resources

Back