• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This just in....missing Military jet in Georgia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I posted the same earlier today, nobody seems too interested I suppose. Weird situation, no word from the crew, distressed or otherwise.

Wonder where they lost radar contact?

If they crashed for whatever reason on a low level, you would not have radar contact nor would you be likely to have a distress call. You would have what they had; a jet that didn't return when it should have. Very sad.

Yes, but you would have a radar signature up to the point they got low, then presumably smoke and such. It seems strange that there wouldn't be reports from at least the yocals (assuming rural).

There is a low level (VR1056 I think) that starts just south of CHA that goes through some mountainous terrain and is flown at 500 agl. From what I remember 20 minutes from takeoff seems like a reasonable takeoff to low level entry time. At that point, they would be VFR and not speaking with any controlling agency. At 500 agl, there would not be radar contact through the route. 250kts or so and being that low in that terrain, bad things can happen VERY quick.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Criminy, that’s my old outfit.

The route they were probably on and the kind of flying we did – won’t see us on radar. Unlikely anyone would see or hear us either.

Smudgemark on a hillside covered with trees is hard to see.

God bless them...

VR 1056 is a route frequently flown by VT-86. You'd go out in the morning, fly a route, land some place like chatanooga, refuel, have lunch, switch students and go back out to do another route on the way home. There would not be any radar contact on a low level route.

what would they be training low level for? Is it terrain following of some sort?

Latest resources

Back