This just in....missing Military jet in Georgia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel,

They train RIOs and WSOs for the F-18 & F-15. Crew is usually a contract pilot, instructor NFO & 2 students NFOs. Low level training, weather visual or using radar, in at least some form, is standard training for all us mil guys; even here in the multiengine world.

VVJM265

But why the civilian contractor? Is he an instructor or is he along for the ride?

By the way what is an RIO or a WSO?

A RIO is what Goose was in Top Gun. Radar Intercept Officer. WSO is the same thing only the AF version. They handle navigation, weapons targeting, radar and other stuff.

The military has always used contract pilots in various capacities. Kind of interesting he was single pilot. But it is the military. I can virtually guarantee the contract guy was a retired tactical military type.

They have to do low level nav training because there's still alot of map reading done on low level missions. They may have been doing radar nav training using the radar to pick out topographical features and match them to the maps.

Prayers go out to the family.TC

Is a civilian guy cheaper to throw in the seat than a military guy?

So the civilian guy is the pilot. The two guys in the back are the nav's guiding the plane with an instructor looking over their shoulder?

Singlepilot never quite thought of that. Sabre is a pretty big complex airplane to go bombing around singlepilot. Could the instructor have been the FO?

By the way what does the cabin look like? 2 radar sets in the back?

Someone figured that the contract was cheaper. All the contract guys there are ex F-18, A-7 drivers, etc.

2 radar sets in the back, I think, but not 100% sure that the instructor FO (an active duty guy) flys in the right seat and the studs are in the back or if one of the studs is in the right seat and they swap mid-period.

Last edited:
VVJM265 said:
2 radar sets in the back, I think, but not 100% sure that the instructor FO (an active duty guy) flys in the right seat and the studs are in the back or if one of the studs is in the right seat and they swap mid-period.

The student is in the right seat. The instructor NFO/WSO is in the jumpseat teaching and/or evaluating the student NFO/WSO. Essentially it's to teach the studs how to function in a copilot role but also allowing them more time to focus on learning NFO specific duties-radar nav for example. Thus the dedicated instructor NFO.

Back in 2002 when I was in VT-86 we had one Raytheon pilot who retired at 80( I believe his initials were C.H.). The Gosport did an article on him and it showed him doing his recurrent training(dunker).

Latest resources

Back