Thinking of Netjets and ..........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCA

........i need some serious minds to assist. I have begun to think that I need a change. I have been throwing around the idea of NJ to some of my other pilot friends and most don't seem to like to idea for me.
Here is the deal...I have 8 yrs seniority at XJT, have a pretty good schedule and will comfortably make about 80K this year. If I busted my a$$ I could make much more but I'm not so interested in 10 days off a month. I am in the low 600's out of 3000 and have no MAJOR complaints. I just feel like there is more out there and I would like to find something that feels more stable. I have applied to several majors ( 6000TT, 2000 Jet PIC, 4500 jet, 2 types) but have very few good connections and as a result ...........my phone is silent.
I have heard many rumors about more bases at NJ and other contractual and pay improvements. I feel like this is a permanent choice between 91 and 121. Should I be lucky enough to have an offer from NJ in the future I feel there is no looking back. I am a little concerned that upgrade times at NJ are a bit long and I would obviously like to make as much as possible as soon as possible. What do you guys think? Those of you who have left pretty good jobs for NJ....are you happy? Thanks.

Last edited:
ATRCA,

I have been at NJA for 1.5 years. I love certain things others I don't care for. But in today's world what job is perfect? I personally think Netjets is the best job in the industry! Overall it is a great job that you don't have to worry about if it will be there tomorrow. There are drawbacks....the best schedule you will ever have there will only be 7 on 7 off....however if your lucky you can get a line with most if not all the holidays off (unlike the airlines).

What it boils down to is you have to do what's best for you and your family. Netjets is a OUTSTANDING company to work for. They actually care for you and your family.

As far as negotiations....Oct 1 is the bargaining deadline. There is ALOT of stuff being discussed. I think if things go as planned, this place will be on the boards as the best JOB in AVIATION. It's probably not a bad idea to get the ball rolling now if your seriously interested, decide later.

Feel free to PM me with any questions...

Last edited:
Fractional flying will probably be the most challenging type of flying you'll ever do. Every day creates a new challenge, with a new problem, with a new solution... The list goes on and on.

One day you'll be in the ne corridor, then some mountain airport. You'll be all over the place. It takes some getting used to not having a schedule but the challenge is there.

I recently made the jump to NJA after 6 years of abuse at a regional. So far I've been very impressed. The company, although not perfect, does genuinely care about its employees. The union is strong, effective, and actually works WITH the company in a ton of areas. The job is very challenging, and I work harder while on duty than I did at the airline. Flying is definitely the easy part of the job. The variety of flying is great. For me, not knowing my schedule or where I'll end up is part of the appeal. So far the pax have been pretty cool and I've flown some interesting people.

Things could be changing here for the better in the near future, pending review and ratification, but we really don't know since we haven't seen anything in writing yet. In my opinion, if the basing gets fixed, FO's get a raise, and some other minor issues get fixed, this will definitely be a great place to hang your hat (although it already is....and we don't wear hats). Your concerns about upgrade time are valid. Right now it's running about 2.5 years, but by the time my number comes up, I'm guessing it could be anywhere from 3-5. I sure hope it's closer to 3 years. I'm prepared for 5, but it sure would be easier to handle with a raise for FO's.

Overall, it's a cool job, awesome flying, and a great company. Not perfect, but in this business, what is. I would certainly follow Buddro's advice and apply now. If the IBB passes, I'm sure the floodgates will open on the resume stack.

I believe the door for current, non-fractional pilots has closed for a while at NJA.

If the Oct vote passes, this place will be flooded with applications from pilots from the other fractionals. Many of which are currently typed in the a/c NJA operates.

Not to hire them over other types of pilots doesn't make sense from NJA's point of view. These people are "plug and play", they know what the business entails and don't have to be programed to think like a fractional pilot-----I mean this with respect to owner services.

Training would be easier, they are already familiar with the fractional way of life and hiring away from our competition would have some obvious market share advantages.

This is occuring as NJA has a record number of a/c being delivered and there is a definate need to get as many pilots trained and out on the road as safely and quickly as possible

I'd say that I'm happy after nearly 3 years at NJA. It's not necessarily the job for every pilot though. That said, I much prefer the type of flying we do to the regional flying that I did.

As for the long upgrade times, I think there's two sides to that. Yep, the current SIC payscale stinks (though that MAY change if IBB is successful). But if an established company has a quick upgrade, it's probably not that great of a job. Look at some of the regionals that are hiring street captains versus some of the traditional major 121 or freight (UPS/FedEx) companies that aren't upgrading after only 1-2 years with the company.

I do agree partially with DO-82. If IBB is successful, meaning that basing is expanded and SIC pay goes up, there'll be a big rush at NJA. However, I'm not convinced that NJA would necessarily stop hiring non-frax pilots. Having an internal recommendation makes a big difference, for instance.

Good luck with your decision.

As said earlier, get the ball rolling now. I recomended a friend in FEB, have exchanged a few e-mails with Derinda and he is still waiting for an interview. (Should come this fall) It will take awhile for the interview to come, and with Oct 1st around the corner that wait will get longer. When you interview comes take it or turn it down, but get a resume in now so you can have that choice.

As said earlier, get the ball rolling now. I recomended a friend in FEB, have exchanged a few e-mails with Derinda and he is still waiting for an interview. (Should come this fall) It will take awhile for the interview to come, and with Oct 1st around the corner that wait will get longer. When you interview comes take it or turn it down, but get a resume in now so you can have that choice.

This is what surprises me. Everyone says that we are having a hard time hiring people with these domiciles. Yet your friend is waiting months for an interview.

Are we still hiring big numbers? (30 in my newhire class).

Is there really a waiting list for new owners (due to lack of planes and crews)?

In the published attrition lists, I dont see the big number of new guys leaving. Sure we are losing maybe 10%, but that is nowhere close to the 50% number I have have heard.

This is what surprises me. Everyone says that we are having a hard time hiring people with these domiciles. Yet your friend is waiting months for an interview.

Are we still hiring big numbers? (30 in my newhire class).

Is there really a waiting list for new owners (due to lack of planes and crews)?

In the published attrition lists, I dont see the big number of new guys leaving. Sure we are losing maybe 10%, but that is nowhere close to the 50% number I have have heard.

Ski,

I heard it straight from the horses mouth (I did a sales demo a few months back).....There is a waiting list for new owners!

I think Netjets is making people sit waiting list at the same time. After all there is nothing better than telling someone who has all the money in the world you can't have this. You have to wait. It makes them want it that much more. Plus it adds to the prestige.

To chime on the past few posts, I think the wait for an interview is partially tied to the applicant's domicile selection(s). I recommended someone back in Feb who wanted LAX and he got an interview in about 6-7 weeks. From what I've heard, DAL and PBI are the longest waits to get the interview invitation.

As for the waiting list for owners, I thought it was a question of the fleet involved. I've Sovereigns and XL's are backed up as we await more deliveries. In the past, Marquis cards have also had waiting lists, depending on the plane invovled, particularly the XL. In fact, at one point, Marquis was pushing a combo 400XP/XL card as the only way to get access to the XL.

Latest resources

Back