• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Think twice before coming to Pinnacle.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the "target" was 30 per class, up to 90 per month for training. That was to cover attrition and expected growth. They would be happy with 20 and they can't even hold that.

FO's are negative for the remainder of the year (translation, they don't have enough to cover the current and anticipated flying)

school house cannot handle 90... maybe 60.

Programs (jet U, ATP, CAE, UND) are open to other regionals, so the quantity is no longer there. Plus, when you interview 15 at ATP and only select 3 it does not help either. Programs "were" the answer to Pinnacle woes, but the numbers from all programs barely fill a class.

for the "forced" question... yes it is possible to be forced to ATL. It would all depend on how many bid for ATL. Pay rates for -900 flying probably will not be decided until mid-December, at that time they will be seeking to fill a April or May Vacancy.

How long until they start calling back all the Captains who were sham terminated 2001-2004? :)

And I thought the DW pizza-destruction machine had left for FDX--what is he still doing there?

How long until they start calling back all the Captains who were sham terminated 2001-2004? :)

And I thought the DW pizza-destruction machine had left for FDX--what is he still doing there?

he is finishing up some credits... I am hearing he is more interested in those with a RED tail.

clarification:

The pizza comment was directed at DW, "director of Flight Administration/Pizza Hut Consumption/Low-Density Lipoprotein storage"--not Aaron.

Two different thoughts.

On top of all the other obvious issues that make this a terrible job, it just got worse for new hires.

If you come to Pinnacle and live in MSP, MEM or DTW, or if you wanted to be based in any of those for commuting you want to here this.

If you come to class and don't have the class seniority to hold those, they can assign you ATL. They do it now, for example if MSP is your first choice and they don't have enough openings or you don't have the seniority, they put you in detriot or memphis. But you can bid MSP in the next vacancy.

But with ATL, you are stuck and will be locked out of holding a NW hub for 24 Months.

If the class you start in doesn't have enough openings for the base you want or you are junior in your class, you have NO control over this.

Go to Mesaba unless you like ATL.

Wow. I thought I'd never see the day when you would suggest pilots go to Mesaba instead of 9E. Times change quickly.:)

the "target" was 30 per class, up to 90 per month for training. That was to cover attrition and expected growth. They would be happy with 20 and they can't even hold that.

FO's are negative for the remainder of the year (translation, they don't have enough to cover the current and anticipated flying)

school house cannot handle 90... maybe 60.

Programs (jet U, ATP, CAE, UND) are open to other regionals, so the quantity is no longer there. Plus, when you interview 15 at ATP and only select 3 it does not help either. Programs "were" the answer to Pinnacle woes, but the numbers from all programs barely fill a class.

I ask because I read on this forum and others, and in the media how there is this huge regional pilot shortage occurring RIGHT NOW, yet I'm not reading of industry wide cancellations, passengers being stranded for lack of flights, nor are RJ's being parked in nice, neat rows at legacy hubs for lack of flight crews. So at what point is this "pilot shortage" really going to start hitting regional bottom lines? So far, it doesn't seem to be a big deal other than removing a few extra place settings at the first day indoc. dinner because a few guys no-show.

ualdriver

Last edited:
In April PCL told NWA they could no longer operate all of the flying assigned to them. NWA 'precancelled' 10 percent of PCL's flying for the next three months. That flying has not been added back in the general schedule. NWA ran into its own well publicised problems at the end of June. The next big crunch for PCL will be December. CA lines of time have been over 90 hrs/month all year. At this rate a good number will have most of December off at a time PCL can't fill CA upgrade classes. The planes aren't 'parked', they just don't fly as much. Essentially, NWA has downsized their airline because Pinnacle and Mesaba can't fill classes.

Hi!

I just read that a regional had to pay $1m+ penalty to their major for failure to complete their assigned trips (it was either PCL/NWA or Mesa/UAL). I heard Mesa is cancelling something like 20% of their trips in/out of ORD.

The negative effects of pilot shortages on the major airline partners are just starting. It gets worse monthly, if not weekly.

cliff
YIP

I hope that all of the above is true. Anything to get those wages up BEFORE age 60 kicks in and gives them a reprieve for a few years.

One would think it would be cheaper to PAY for their entry level pilots to go through some sort of pilot puppy mill, even temporarily, vs. having to pay fines to the majors, losing revenue off the top line, and underutilizing their multi-million dollar capital assets, which just drives their average costs even higher. I think they're hoping that all of this is "just temporary."

Latest resources

Back