The worst airliner cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Contrary to the recorded Raytheon Briefing anouncement the Beech 1900 is nothing more than a long King Air. Thus No Jumpseat.

By the way, who in the heck is that guy in your avatar?

But doesn't that nifty little plaque right by the door say "Beech 1900 Airliner"?

I had the opportunity to ride in a CRJ-200 jumpseat for the first time a week or so ago from PIT to DTW. Not great, even for just an hour. But I do want to again thank the USAirways guy who gave it up for me. I owe you one.

I'm not sure any jumpseat could qualify as "comfortable", but in most cases I'd rather sit up there and enjoy the view (and sometimes the conversation).

Years ago, in college, non-revving from PHX to PHL on an Airways 757, I made the stupid mistake of asking for an exit row, thinking it would be just like on the 737. I enjoyed extra elbow room on my right, but I didn't enjoy my view through the little periscope-sized window.

Oh wait, you said "airliner cabin". Mesa is a "regional airline", and regional airlines are to real airlines what cheeze whizz is to finely aged sharp cheddar.

(re: looks like cheese, takes kinda like cheese, but it sure ain't cheese)

So I guess I'd say the 2nd jumpseat (ok, technically not a cabin seat) in the 737-200 is a fine demonstration on how badly pilots would rather contort themselves into unnatural (and painful)positions rather than actually purchase a seat. Cheap bastid's, aren't we. . . :)

Last edited:
FreedomAList said:
Oh wait, you said "airliner cabin". Mesa is a "regional airline", and regional airlines are to real airlines what cheeze whizz is to finely aged sharp cheddar.

(re: looks like cheese, takes kinda like cheese, but it sure ain't cheese)

So I guess I'd say the 2nd jumpseat (ok, technically not a cabin seat) in the 737-200 is a fine demonstration on how badly pilots would rather contort themselves into unnatural (and painful)positions rather than actually purchase a seat. Cheap bastid's, aren't we. . . :)
Bubba,I'm with you on that ! Geez,it's a torture device.USAir has a few,one has the "No booking fees-no brainer" logo on it.The 'Bus is not too bad-you can even put your Purdy Neat under the jumpseat,plus,when you're standing in the cockpit doorway to leave,the deplaning pax say "Thank You !" before you can say "I didn't do nuddin',I was jus' hitchin' a ride".I don't like the DC-9 because you're sitting in the doorway passing paperwork over your head,but the footpegs are nice.As for sittin' in the back:

The ERJ seat cushion gets rock hard after 45 minutes.The exit row isn't too bad.The 737's have these metal things (tray table arms) in the seatback that cut into your knees.The CRJ is not too bad,although some people say the windows are too small and too low down.I'm biased toward the 170-nice seat,good headroom and no middle seat.I,too,love the automated brief on the "Beech 1900 Airliner".I liked the ATR pretty good,the J-ball you can keep.But the worst seat is a toss up between being stuck in the middle row in anything ,especially between two guys in flip-flops with nasty feet in cut-off shorts and wife-beaters with some sweaty,hairy man-leg pressed up against you or in the Crying Baby Section.Coming in third is some kid behind you kicking the seatback while her dim-witted mom says "Heather,stop it.....Heather,stop it....".

Dangerkitty said:
Contrary to the recorded Raytheon Briefing anouncement the Beech 1900 is nothing more than a long King Air. Thus No Jumpseat.

By the way, who in the heck is that guy in your avatar?

If you don't already know, you don't deserve to!

ZachPilot said:
I'd have to say the Jetstream 31's seat 1A. Nothing to look at but the bulk head 6 inches from your face and after a few minutes you're left with a permanent lean to the right. Seat 1C is just as bad.

KF

Brother, you know it! The only seats
in the jetpig that are worth a darn are
the ones in the very front (with the yokes
coming out of the panel and a couple of
loose screws strapped in them)
and they were designed by a nazi war
criminal...

I remember once awakening with a startle
in seat 6B in the jetstream. It was a
deadhead to New Bern NC in the good old
days of long overnights and civilized skeds...
what woke me was that I wasn't really in
the seat anymore...I was floating at the
limit of my well loosened seatbelt out in
the aisle! Never did get back to sleep.
Dang thunderstorms anyway!

The sewer tube and 1900 are both less un-
comfortable in the cabin.

I like the tacojet cabin from the standpoint
that I have only about a 30% chance of
getting squished between the window and
a sumo wrestler...The jumpseat? Well, going
to work (or more importantly home!, thanks
guys and gals :) ) ya gotta make due some
times but my gosh it's rough!

Every seat in the CRJ sucks! Almost as bad as the J-41.

The aft seats in the Saab are actually the best coach seats in the industry (best kept secret.) At least on Shuttle America.

Don't forget -- jumpseats were intended and designed with Feds in mind.

777, MD-11, 767 jumpseats, are all relatively luxurious and better than 95% of coach seats on any aircraft, maybe because they were designed for relief pilots and long haul.

737NG, grab a pillow (or 3) for lumbar on anything longer than 1 hour!

belchfire said:
I like the tacojet cabin from the standpoint
that I have only about a 30% chance of
getting squished between the window and
a sumo wrestler...

....but you have about a 70% chance of getting a window seat, meaning you can't actually put your legs in line with your body. You have to curl them towards the aisle to follow the curve of the fuselage. Absolutely maddening on a long flight.

Give me a Dash-8, 1900, Saab or ATR seat and a set of earplugs any day over the ERJ window seat. ugh. (The CRJ-200 window seat isn't bad, but only your knees get a nice view. :D )

Latest resources

Back