The Truth about what AA did to TWA F/A's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Midnight Flyer said:
Wasn't TWA literally within their final hours before liquidation?
AA was in their pursuit to become the worlds largest airline, so, at the last minute, AA outright purchased TWA (not merged). I believe AA has sold alot of the TWA birds and also want to downsize STL more.
I understand if two airlines willingly merge, like Continental and United for example, no matter how both companies decide to integrate the 2 seniority lists, the pilots are going to be pi$$ed off no matter what. But in a case where one airline buys another, (like AA/TWA), how should the seniority list be merged? Obviously most TWA people hate AA because they were stapled to the bottom of the list, but alot of people seem to think that AA rescued TWA.

TWA had been limping along for 20 years. They weren't going to go out of business the next day. However, Congress was balking at the merger, and one of the things that helped seal the deal was Carty's promise that there would be a "fair and equitable" integration of all employee groups. In fact, NO TWA employee group was treated fairly. Carty should have gone to jail for perjury before Congress, and a fair deal should have been forced.

Gofish,

The reason the TWA guys came to Eagle is because of the flow through agreement between AMR/APA/ALPA/Eagle. This was a big deal for the Eagle guys.. straight to AA, but they didn't expect the consequences of the flow back, now did they. The TWA guys just did what they had to do to survive after the main line SNB's hosed 'em with Supp CC. I would bet that 99.99% of the TWA guys at Eagle don't want to be there any more than you want them to be there. Bottom line is that AMR/APA/ALPA/APFA etc. don't care about the rank and file, only their personal corporate bonus' and big union paychecks. All in all, I'm pretty happy that I turned down the flow back. I don't want to work in such a poisonous atmosphere.

The way around this is to realign the seniority lists with a fair integration for both the pilots and FA's. Sadly, we know this will not happen without a court order.

Last edited:
Basically "seniority" screwed you all. And that is a union thing. Who's to blame now.

The last I heard Carty was doing ok.

I hope Carty gets a new "girl friend" in the big house, a guy named Bubba.

accinelli: Who's to blame? The APFA is who screwed the TWA flight attendants. Seniority is what many earned over the 20-30 and even 40 years of faithful service to TWA and its passengers all over the world.

accinelli said:
Basically "seniority" screwed you all. And that is a union thing. Who's to blame now.

The last I heard Carty was doing ok.

Wrong. The AA pilots with the willing assistance of ALPA screwed the TWA pilots, and the AA in general screwed every other TWA employee.

Midnight Flyer said:
Wasn't TWA literally within their final hours before liquidation?
AA was in their pursuit to become the worlds largest airline, so, at the last minute, AA outright purchased TWA (not merged). I believe AA has sold alot of the TWA birds and also want to downsize STL more.
I understand if two airlines willingly merge, like Continental and United for example, no matter how both companies decide to integrate the 2 seniority lists, the pilots are going to be pi$$ed off no matter what. But in a case where one airline buys another, (like AA/TWA), how should the seniority list be merged? Obviously most TWA people hate AA because they were stapled to the bottom of the list, but alot of people seem to think that AA rescued TWA.

Well said. All true. Not anyone's fault at AA that Carl sent TWA into bankruptcy three times. So what are all you x-twa'ers saying? That you would have voted against AA acquiring TWA had you known about the seniority intergration? Please, what other options did you have? Face it, you would have all been out of a job that much sooner had you turned down AA's offer. I for one am sick and tired of hearing about poor ol' TWA and how bad they were treated by AA. You want to be mad at someone, be mad at TWA's management.

So get over it. No one cares anymore. You would be better served if you just moved on with your life.

Coool Hand Luke said:
Well said. All true. Not anyone's fault at AA that Carl sent TWA into bankruptcy three times. So what are all you x-twa'ers saying? That you would have voted against AA acquiring TWA had you known about the seniority intergration? Please, what other options did you have? Face it, you would have all been out of a job that much sooner had you turned down AA's offer. I for one am sick and tired of hearing about poor ol' TWA and how bad they were treated by AA. You want to be mad at someone, be mad at TWA's management.

So get over it. No one cares anymore. You would be better served if you just moved on with your life.

Like I said before, TWA had been on the ropes in one way or another ever since H. Hughes was in charge. They would not have gone away immediately had AA not bought them. They said they would to get congress to approve the deal, but the fact is they would have continued to limp along one way or the other, just as they always had.

And you cannot deny that one of the reasons that Congress DID approve the buyout was Carty promising that there would be a "fair and equitable" seniority list integration. That didn't happen, despite his promises under oath before the Congress. Ex TWAers have every right to be upset with AA, both it's management and it's employee groups.

atrdriver said:
Ex TWAers have every right to be upset with AA, both it's management and it's employee groups.
What the?

I understand ex TWAers being upset at AA mgmt, but why should TWAers be upset at the AA pilot group?
Heck, AA pilots have had to put up with the shanannigans of their evil mgmt alot longer than the TWA people have; trust me, lots of AAers hate their mgmt more than ex TWAers.

Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know, but why be sore against the AA pilot group because of something their mgmt did?

It is AMR that is holding all the cards.

AMR for better or worse really just figured they could pick up a few things at the fire sale of TWA going under. They did not want nor do they continue to want a single employee from TWA. This is really the hard core facts, if were any different the process would have been changed along the way.
The extension of recall rights simply will not happen, this is their goal to have them run out so they can eventially hire more folks that belong to the "master race" from their perceptions. While it is deplorable, this is their corporate strategy and they will continue in that direction.

Latest resources

Back