Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Skybus Innaugural flight yesterday....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong!! Airbus captains should be making what the market and economics dictate! Why should they be making at least 100k? Because at one time legacy carriers paid captains well into the several 6 figures? There is a long line of pilots willing to fly for 65k as a captain. Guess what, that means an airbus captain should be making 65k!! You can't just throw out a number like 100k. Like I said earlier in the thread, this job is a trade skill and today's salaries reflect that. New start up airlines as well as legacies that have gone through Ch 11 realize this. I think SWA will soon follow (to an extent). With rising fuel prices and consumer demand for lower fares, carriers can't find any other ways to increase operating margins. Of course they are going to go after labor.

The market should dictate what the past has proven to be a proper income for a trained proffesional. What other proffesion has fluctuations in pay like we do? Oh, I forgot, other buisnesses raise the price of the product instead of offering a $10 root canal, apendectamy, or legal representation. For that matter, there is a high school kid in my neighborhood that could make $65k if she taught piano full time!! Don't try to defend a pitiful startup. Who will be the next startup to make that pay look good?

Round Trip Depart: Columbus, OH toSeattle/Vancouver (Bellingham, WA)Wed, Jul. 11, 2007: Flight 270Leaves - 7:00 AMArrives - 8:42 AM Return: Seattle/Vancouver (Bellingham, WA) toColumbus, OHWed, Jul. 18, 2007: Flight 271Leaves - 9:07 AMArrives - 4:17 PM
Prices

Passenger 1$455.00Taxes & Fees* $20.80
Total price of this trip: $475.80Amount Due: $475.80*Government taxes and other fees we're required to collect.

So guess the fares are high enough, maybe the pilots should ask for a raise!

If I did start an airline I wouldn't hire former Shame-Train pilots THAT is for sure !!

What about all the *********that fly a G4 for 70K a year, or fly a lear for 36K a year? Who's going to reject them for lowering the bar?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, back on topic:

Do you think the flight attendants pool their commissions, or do they get into a big hair-pulling match trying to get to your seat first?

Could be fun to watch... :D

Ok. I took a GV job that paid $85k. I was losing my CA job (and FO job, too) at TWA. I guess I should have gone bankrupt and lost my house, car and pulled my kid out of her school just so you guys can sleep well at night.

The idea is to get Skybus people up to where they should be--making as much money as they can. If you continue to sling $h!t at them, they will circle the wagons and NEVER unionize or push for better pay like JB did.

The goal we should be pursuing is to eliminate opportunities for management to take advantage of desperate pilots. You will never prevent startups from hiring people to fly big airplanes for low pay. But you can keep it from being permanent.

I venture to say that most of the $65k CA's didn't get into aviation yesterday. They got F'ed by ALPA, by mangement, by the bankruptcy courts, etc. They have most likely paid their dues and have nothing to show for it. The pilot group (as a whole) abandonned them, so they have no reason to give a crap what we think.

Talk to them on the jumpseat. Let them know it's THEIR management we have a problem with and that we're willing to help them get organized and bring them up to where they should be. TC

What about all the *********that fly a G4 for 70K a year, or fly a lear for 36K a year? Who's going to reject them for lowering the bar?

you have got to be the biggest idiot on FI.com..

as for Skybus.. I hate Skybus, what more is there to say, but I admit the video was nice, and bifocals don't bother me one bit!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back