• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
The Rogue and the Professional.

There are rogues in every operation and industry. Military, medical, aviation, maritime and so on…

A rogue has an empty void that can never be filled. He is missing something in his life. A majority of rogues primarily function for cheap personal thrills. He is willing to risk his company assets and the lives of his crew and passengers for a quick and dirty high. He is an attention whore. A small percentage of rouges are apathetic, with low job satisfaction, who haven’t made the choice to leave their profession. Or they are simply willing to trade personal convenience for SOP.

Rogues disregard the rules and “the book”. They have, under false impression, carved themselves out a special status which makes them exempt from policy. They operate under a false sense of fearlessness or misguided belief that they are untouchable. Rogues that leave organizations unscathed or unidentified are lucky. Many rogues leave either injured or worse and shamed without a career. They leave a dirty ingrained stain for professionals to clean up.

Rogues can only function in an organization that doesn’t have the integrity to stop rogue behavior. An organization that is apathetic or undisciplined is where rogues exists. An organization that promotes a culture that allows rogues to exists is heavily responsible for a rogues behavior.

One rogue can ruin the reputation of an entire professional group. Without a doubt we all exhibit some type of rogue behavior. It’s only human. A pilot can be a rogue for just one flight or it can be his everyday behavior. There are those who will self correct when they realize their behavior is inappropriate and those who try to justify it.

Culture
Rogues function below board and in sub-culture cliques. They seek out other rogues and the weak who will accept their behavior and stories of antics as cool. This empowers the rogue, giving him the false impression that his behavior is somehow acceptable. Rogues are cool. They are in-crowd, hip, happening dudes. They don’t know the difference between being liked or respected. Therefore they try to be liked. They go with the flow. Whatever the crowd is doing, they do. A common rogue justification when breaking the rules is “everybody else does it!”

The professional operates above board. He does not fear scrutiny of himself. He is open and willing to learn. He functions in the professional environment of respect, character, integrity and trust. He gives the benefit of respect but earns respect from others.

Training
Professionals study on a regular basis, thus they are well prepared for initial or recurrent training. During a professionals career he will have minimal checkride failures. He understands his environment and what is expected. He exceeds those expectations. His professional at-home library is complete.

Rogues cram at the last minute. They put forth a mediocre performance and hope for or expect leniency. They party during training and it shows in class and in the simulator. They rely heavily on gouge and want the max for the minimum. Their multiple checkride failures indicate a pattern of behavior and attitude.

Flight Operations
Rogues need to exceed limitations during flight in an attempt to fill their void and desire for cheap thrills. Professionals gain satisfaction from operating in accordance with their flight and company manuals and their flight release.

Rogues use profanity in the professional environment. Profanity is cool. Or it is used because one cannot express themselves effectively. Or it is used because one is afraid of the situation.

Even though a professional can recite a checklist from memory, he picks up the checklist and uses it every time.

Above FL250, and when required, professionals don their oxygen masks. They don’t leave it stowed or place it on their lap or knee.

Professionals use a flashlight to pre and post flight their aircraft at night. Rogues trot around the aircraft so they can say they did it.

Rogues skip checklist, procedures, methods and requirements because it is cumbersome, annoying and time consuming. It is inconvienent.

Image and behavior
When a rogue chooses (it is all about choice isn’t it?) to be professional so is their total presentation; gone are the faded cotton Dockers and Margarittaville T-shirt seen through the pilot shirt. The Dr. Marten boots with heavy yellow thread go in the closet or on eBay. Grooming standards tighten up, shirts stay tucked in, pockets are buttoned, ties are tight and the right colored socks are used. Trips to barber shop and laundry double. Backpacks are left at school and backpack style purses are saved for the mall. Hair styles that look great at Glamour Shots are pulled back, just like the company manual says. There is a reason why it is called a uniform. Just ‘cause your chief pilot or base manager (doesn’t have the guts to) say something doesn’t mean slack off. Professionals self correct and don’t argue the uniform.

A pilot was once asked about his non adherence to uniform policy. The reply; “I’ll wear the uniform right when they pay me more.” Nice attitude. A Mexican stand off. What other professional characteristics is this pilot withholding because he wants more pay? And how can one logically expect more pay if they can’t even do the basics right?

Professionals act like professionals. Their body language and hand gestures reflect calm and control. They don’t reflect an indifferent or apathetic attitude; sitting in the gate area looking like a bum at the bus station. They don’t talk about inappropriate subject matter in public such as alcohol consumption, company politics and employee performance. Why do some pilots feel they can deviate from the rules while everyone else puts forth the right effort?

What’s the Big Deal?
As you are reading this you may be either nodding your head, shaking your head or getting pissed off. To most professionals this post is no big deal. They have accepted this Modus Operendi as SOP and made it their routine. It is simply a non issue.

When a rogue deviates from the rules, whether it is uniform compliance, checklist usage, O2 mask above FL250, or stunt flying it says to the professional that rules are meant to be broken. Or as a rogue, I get to pick and choose what rules to follow. It is about me and my convenience. This develops mistrust. What other rules does the rogue not follow? If he can’t even wear the uniform right or use a flashlight at night, how else is he trying to get by? As a professional what else don’t I know about this guy? Now the professional must spend extra time and energy waiting for the next unorthodox move of the rogue.

Can the above described rogue behavior be justified?

Rogues are in it for themselves. Professionals know they are part of something bigger than themselves. Professionals are proud (not arrogant!) of their craft and they know some sacrifice is required. They realize the public has a level of trust in them. Professionals realize their actions effect their entire group and therefore the group has some say in their attitude and behavior. Professionals understand and accept their responsibility of public service.

A rogues’ chance at career employment is limited. Career airlines know how to weed out rogues.

Leadership
Many a First Officer has stopped rogue behavior. A rogue Captain will try to push his sub-culture clique. A leadership orientated FO will use his conservative and SOP based behavior to signal the Captain that rogue behavior will not be tolerated. Most often the captain will settle. A professional FO is willing to pack his bags and deplane.

Professionals don’t need to be policed.

References;
Darker Shades of Blue: The Rogue Pilot by Tony Kern

Defined;

Rogue

n.
  1. An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
  2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.
  3. A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

Last edited:
That is a very good book. I picked it up as a sort of joke, based on the cover, and when I started reading it I realized how good it is.

Should be required reading for anyone in a 121 or 135 management position!

Thank you for posting that. I will admit that I noticed a flaw or two that I am working on myself in there. I'll have to look into the book.

Excellent post Rez, as usual.

Good Thoughts

We all should reread that from time to time. (Freight dogs excepted. :p )Thanks for the post. Along those same lines, someone posted the following on another website that I frequent:

PROFESSIONAL PILOTS CODE

As a Professional pilot, I recognize my obligation:

1. To the public which trust its safety to my skill and judgement.

2. To my fellow pilots who mutually depend upon me to follow established good practice.

3. To my crew members who look at me to exercise my best judgement and leadership.

4. To my co-workers who constantly are striving for greater accomplishments and general over-all improvements in aviation.

5. To my organization which entrust me, in the conduct of my flights, with moral and economic responsibilities.

To discharge these obligations, I will at all times observe the highest standards of my profession.

I will never knowingly jeopardize the safety of a flight by undertaking a risk to satisfy personal desires, nor will I fly when my mental or physical condition might lead to additional risks.

I will use all means at my disposal to assure the safety of every flight both as to my assigned duties and those of my crewmen.

I will continue to keep abreast of aviation developments so that my judgement, which largely depends on such knowledge, may be of the highest order.

My deportment, both on duty and off, reflects my respect for my profession and for my country, and it shall be such as to bring credit to both.

I pledge adherence to these principles for the advancement of aviation and to further the dignity of my profession.

Ethics are not learned by teaching; they are inculcated by example and by experience. To a man of honor, “ethics come as naturally as good table manners.”

[The above, in its entirety, are from the book “Corporate Flying” published date unknown, in the piece entitled “A Code for Professional Pilots, Ethics are inculcated by example and experience” written by Jerome Lederer, Director, Flight Safety Foundation and Cornell Guggenheim Aviation Safety Center.]

'Sled

Am I to take all this personally?

Latest resources

Back