Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ATN MEC's response to this announcement:

Fellow Pilots,
AirTran has just announced an agreement with SkyWest for CRJ feeder service into Milwaukee. Under the terms of the deal, SkyWest will initially operate five CRJ-200 aircraft–in SkyWest livery–between Pittsburgh (PIT), St. Louis (STL), Canton/Akron (CAK), Indianapolis (IND), Des Moines (DSM), Omaha (OMA) and Milwaukee (MKE). Any additional service resulting from this agreement is not yet known.
We are concerned by our management’s move to shift flying to another carrier, even as growth at mainline AirTran has stagnated for nearly two years. This affects all of us, as pilot career progression could be slowed by such outsourcing.

Furthermore, it’s unclear how the utilization of RJs in 2010 would be any more successful or profitable than it was to use them in 2003, when the company ended AirTran Jet-Connect. What is abundantly clear, unfortunately, is that our contract allows management great latitude to give your job to other airlines, including non-union SkyWest.

We believe today’s announcement is an affront to AirTran pilots, as well as all AirTran employees, who have worked so hard to build this airline, only to potentially have their jobs outsourced. The name AirTran reflects the quality service to which pilots and other employee groups have largely contributed. For this reason, we find it ironic that management has been critical of Republic Holdings for destroying the Midwest Airlines brand while they risk weakening our own product.

To be clear, we are encouraged that management is looking for ways to grow profitability. We believe, however, that over the long-term, AirTran pilots are better suited to performing flying for AirTran, and we are hopeful that the Company will realize the benefits of having AirTran pilots do that work. Southwest and JetBlue don’t let others fly their passengers, and neither should we.

Be assured that the MEC is exploring its legal options to determine if this agreement violates our scope language. In the meantime, we will be closely monitoring this arrangement and working with the Association’s Economic & Financial Analysis Department to quantify the impact to our pilots. Of course, restrictions on the Company’s right to outsource will be a subject of negotiations during our upcoming discussions on scope. While recent events no doubt highlight the importance of Section 1 of our collective bargaining agreement, you can be confident that the MEC’s guidance to the Negotiating Committee on scope did not require any such reminder.

We need you to participate now. We need every line pilot to attend SPSC events to ensure that management knows how seriously we take this potential threat to our profession and to our job security. You will soon receive information on the next SPSC event. Please make every effort to attend and demonstrate to management not only that you are concerned by their actions to harm our brand and outsource our flying, but also that you are determined to achieve a new contract with better scope, better pay, and better work rules. Remember: we ARE major airline pilots, and we DESERVE a major airline contract.

In unity,

Your Master Executive Council

Nice letter, oh wait, it would be nice to get the deets before spewing misinfo and stirring up the pot. Got to love it! Right?
http://www.insideairtran.com/?p=2118. This sounds a lot more logical. Can't compare the past because this is a new type of a marketing partnership. Hopefully it works out for everybody.

Guzzle that kool-aid!

Aww, 10nCLR, you missed the PERFECT opportunity for an

OH YEAH!

I'm a little hurt now, are you losing your touch ;-)

Trojan

Sorry, I didn't want to waste too much energy in responding to Kool-tool. I didn't get to my urnge drink quite yet(sugar fix). Definitely next time, I'll remember to drink the kool-aid before I post, for sure.
OH, YEAAH!

Sorry, I didn't want to waste too much energy in responding to Kool-tool. I didn't get to my urnge drink quite yet(sugar fix). Definitely next time, I'll remember to drink the kool-aid before I post, for sure.
OH, YEAAH!

Now I feel better! Commicle 128 is useless, leave him to his Communistic Utopian Society. Let's get on with the Kool-Aid party!!! OH YEAH!~

Trojan

Latest resources

Back