• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Republican Airline Pilot a paradox?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does one rationally and logically justify being a republican airline pilot? (looking for understanding here, not trying to flame or make personal attacks)

While not an airline pilot specifically, I am a republican because I was a democrat for so many years. I found that my ideas as a democrat were profoundly different from the values upon which this country was founded.

Equating being a member of a union, ANY union, and being bound to the democrats is a mistake. As pointed out above, lowering taxes is good for the individual as well as business, and is likely responsible for the quick end to the recession and the avoidance of a depression. The response of our republican administration to the terrorist attacks has done a great deal to maintain the public confidence that we are not only surprisingly safe as airline passengers, but that we are also wise enough to act responsively and proactively against a secretive enemy that wishes to do us great harm.

I think you view this as a "labor vs management" adversarial relationship. I think that's a mistake, too. You can't have one without the other, and when labor asks for too much, the market takes over and the flying goes to a non-union carrier who is in a better, more cost effective position to compete. Sometimes, as we have recently seen, a carrier must seek relief from the labor contract before a bankruptcy judge in order to survive.

So go on, remain a democrat. But, think about your future. Will you get a check from Ted Kennedy when Hillary Clinton raises your taxes and punishes business and investors? What will happen when your retirement account loses value not for a few months, but for several years or more? Will being a union member help you retain a job when more and more flying goes to carriers with weak or absent unions because the big pilot's unions didn't want to deal with smaller jets or "regional" carriers? If you are one of the fortunate few who are high enough on the roster to hold a line at a shrinking carrier, you might still have a job. That won't happen because you are a democrat, it will happen because of your seniority number.

If we have a republican congress and president who will keep taxes low and reduce spending (now that we have rebuilt the military to pre-Clinton levels and dealt with political realities that were left untouched) we may have enough market confidence and growth in the economy that you get to keep your job longer than you would otherwise. You'll likely get that growing economy from republicans. You can count on the democrates to raise your taxes. Ed Rendell is already doing that in Pennsylvania.

So, make your choices, but don't complain to the party that cuts taxes to grow the economy.

You know, the economy that needs to be healthy to keep airlines flying. Yes, that economy.

Last edited:
Why waste your typing skills replying, it's just flame bait.

enigma

SpeedBird said:
Well it looks like there is such a thing as a "Republican pilot" afterall. ;)

In my experience, its the norm.

Bart, once again you try to blame pilots for management screw ups. Who was it who spent 45 million to trust fund their pensions while the company is losing money? That's right, you management scum. Who's pay has risen 3,000%? Do you really think today's manager is 3000% more productive. Of course not, you guys are just 3000 times bigger thieves! Go pedal your snake oil some where else Kermit!

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat post, Timebuilder!!!!

I feel we all must realize that this is a Capitalist nation. There is no organization in this nation truly adhered to 'raising the bar' !!!! Sorry everyone, the Dollar is the bottom line. Mgmnt everywhere knows this and they will continue trying to lower the pay of everyone who is not within the top ranks of their company's mgmnt. It hurts to say this, but the day of the 300K Captain is over!!! No amount of labor lobbying power will stop this fact. That being said, I am 100% in fighting for our cause. Never will you find me saying that concessions are a good thing because we all must band together in helping pilots maintain fair wages. But we live in a capitalist society! Lower cost=consumer investment! When I buy an airline ticket back home, i pay 104$ on Southwest Vs 300+ on mainline carriers. If I were truly holding up ther bar, I would pay 200$ more! Any other CFi's or 135 pilots or any other human making the same wages will agree!
My two cents.. Flame away at me if it makes you feel better.

Hopefully y'all will figure out that Bush doesn't exactly have the interests of the American worker at heart, Pilots included. Further proof: here.

ditto singlecoil

If you can cut taxes to prosperity, where is that prosperity right now? Bush cut taxes 3 YEARS AGO and I'm still pushing a Cessna 172 in Florida with 2850TT/360ME. The economy is not exactly rockin' out, bucko...Take a look at your latest paycheck, TimeBuilder...

Yeah, GDP is rising but the money is being made outside of this country. The companies are making money, not the people who would spend it to keep the economy going. Say what you will about Clinton, but he raised taxes and the economy grew for 8 straight years. King George I did the same in 1991. I agree that Reagan had to cut taxes in 1981 because they were cripplingly high, but you can't just cut taxes and hope to fix everything. Reagan at least TRIED to shrink the government. King George II hasn't even given it a thought. Spending had risen an AVERAGE of 8% per annum under GWB. He's the first fiscally liberal Republican to serve as president in years...

You have to look at the long term. We are ALL going to be paying back this *&#@^ debt that REPUBLICANS have run up, most recently by King George II. Clinton was a sleazy bastard, but he at least was fiscally responsible. Albeit he had a Republican Congress that was actually just as responsible. Together they were paying down the debt and keeping the country properous. Interest rates were too high, however, and the economy started tanking. Of course, Bush's answer, as always, was tax cuts. According to him, we were going to run a $5 trillion SURPLUS over 10 years. Sound like Al Gore's fuzzy math? I remember watching a debate between Gore and Bush just before the election. Al Gore stood up after Bush, pointed his finger at him, spoke to the crowd and said "if you want a big spending president, THIS is your man." He was right. Gore was a pu$$y and did not deserve to win the election, so we got stuck with Bush.

Must we sit here and praise the moron?

Bush cut taxes 3 YEARS AGO and I'm still pushing a Cessna 172 in Florida with 2850TT/360ME. The economy is not exactly rockin' out, bucko...

If you continue to do the same things and expect different results, you will most certainly be disappointed.

Most people I know that make their living in sales have earnings increases in the double and triple digits for the last quarter of 2003 and are rockin' out this quarter as well. I know my company has posted double digit month on month revenue increases for 4 months now.

I am rockin' out, why aren't you?

The only thing I can be certain of is that it is someone else's fault, isn't it?

Latest resources

Back