Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The purpose of "takeoff trim" durring a decent???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Not talking about glides, but about a standard decent, under power, from traffic pattern altitude. Now I've got the procedure burned into my head pretty good. Opposite TD point...carb-heat, 2000RPM, 1st notch flaps, and take-off trim. But why the take-off trim? I do beleive I remember my instructor saying something about it compensating for the nose-down pitch induced by flap extension. But we usually end up holding the nose down anyway. So it's almost like, why trim it up if you want to go down???

My only guesses are maybe:

It helps you out durring the landing flare???

It eliminates the need to establish TO trim while rolling for the next takeoff???

...or maybe it really is nothing more than a compensation for dropping the flaps?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
minitour said:
Can't help ya...never heard of that.

I like to trim for a 'hands free' descent to the runway.

-mini
Hey mini, whats the purpose of having an engine on an airplane ?

I just can't figure this out.

Thanks for the help.

gkrangers said:

Thanks for the help.

You are f**king hilarious. Far be it from you, to withhold you obnoxious, degrading remarks to a simple question from a student pilot. You are nothing more than a dumbass troll. May you burn in Hell.

gkrangers said:

Thanks for the help.
An inquiring mind isn't a bad thing. My best students are the ones that ask the most questions. They want to know the why rather than just the what.

The guys that struggle the most are the ones that want me to teach them the checkride or just enough to get by. I'm not a believer in that.

Maybe I'm the only one here that feels this way, but I think learning is great! I love to learn which is one of the reasons I'm liking flight instruction more and more.

If it's such a lame-o question, you should know the answer, right?

If you're being serious...then to answer your question...I don't know. Get some glider time. I intend to add a glider rating and CFI-G to my certificiates at some point this coming summer. At least the commercial glider. Form what I've read, it really teaches you how to fly the wings rather than forcing the airplane to do what you want.

Someone on here is always saying if they had it their way, they'd require some glider time for the PPL and I'm starting to agree....so...that's my take on why do airplanes have engines.

As for wings...I think you're being a little rediculous.

-mini

I think "takeoff trim" may just be a gouge your instructor may have come up with for the aircraft you are flying. He just learned, through experience, that it marks the optimal position for the trim for the descent in the pattern.

May not work with all aircraft, though, so don't get too used to it when you switch to something else.

LAXSaabdude.

LAXSaabdude said:
I think "takeoff trim" may just be a gouge your instructor may have come up with for the aircraft you are flying. He just learned, through experience, that it marks the optimal position for the trim for the descent in the pattern.

May not work with all aircraft, though, so don't get too used to it when you switch to something else.

LAXSaabdude.

I see. Thanks for the input.

You should always trim for neutral control force. The only time to set trim to takeoff is for, you guessed it, takeoff.

I've found a few instructors over the years who think its too much trouble to spend more than a cursory few minutes on the proper use of elevator trim. I've discovered these f-ing lazy idiots because I've had to re-train their students after a checkride failure, new rating or when upgrading to bigger aircraft.

Latest resources

Back