The other SWA interview stuff???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YeOldeProp

From what seems as many,many months ago, there was great talk on the finer points of the "extra parts" of the Southwest interview process floating around the site here. Thought now might be a good time to open up a thread on some of the "extra" interview things to consider. Did a search to try and locate some of the old threads, but they're really spread out and some have seemed to disappear.

So, from you experienced folks who've been successful at the interview (or from any airline), how about giving the many hopefuls a few pointers on some of the following subjects (and whatever else you think is important):

--The pro's/con's of flying on the airline to the interview, or should you drive if you're close enough. Is it rude to not fly if offered a ticket? Should you arrive more than just the day before?

--Etiquette on the flight, arrival at the hotel, on the bus, etc. (From what I remember reading, you're "interviewing" from the second you step in your nearest SWA terminal, until you get home).

--The hotel experience (i.e., can you get a suit pressed should it come through baggage claim in bad shape, wheels to the SWA HQ in the morning, etc.).

--Any extra paperwork you took beyond what the airline asks for. (Some people take flight logs, others take spreadsheets to show how they did their hours, transcripts, drivers records, etc.)

--How many letters of recommendation are enough, not enough, too many?

--Be prepared for.....what?

Good luck to the next era of Southwest interviewees...

LUV Questions

Howdy,

I made a word doc that has 36 core questions on it. Each question is in a large text box so you can take notes and study them. If you would like a copy, just PM me.

See ya,

sr

Dude,

Fly on SWA if possible... you never know who you might meet. Wear your suit on the flight and introduce yourself to the crew (everybody) - tell them your interviewing. Ask them for any pointers and get the Captain's name.

So during your interview, when they ask you "how was the flight? What was the Captain's name?" - You'll know the answer to those questions.

When your flying into Dallas, you're flying with some senior dudes.. We are talking about guys that have been at the company for years and know Herb really well. If someone likes you and/or thinks you might be a good fit, maybe they will call some of their interview buddies and pass along what they think of you. You might bump into someone you already know but had no idea they work for SWA? Help no matter where it comes from is good!

Iron your shirt that night in the hotel. Relax and it will all workout!

interview at SWA

I interviewed two yrs ago. But here is what I remember. Since I was about to become unemployed, I took their offer for the flight down. Since SWA is so casual I flew in a sport coat and tie. I stayed at one of the recommend hotels with pick-up at the airport and transportation to the interview. I met a fellow interviewee and a flight attendant interview on the trip. I had a nice dinner the night before the interview with the other pilot candidate. On the day of the interview...0800 (so I could take the tour) I just tried to smile and be relaxed. We were given a key bit of info for the interview. "We are each going to ask you 3 questions. When you answer the questions just make sure the fish you caught is the same size in each answer." In other words be honest and answer the best you can. I had preped pretty hard so my main concern was to stop take a breath and think before I answered. I smiled a lot and tried to look as relaxed as I could. The questions from each interviewer were very simular so I tried to make my answers match.

I brought all the required items they requested and some letters of recommendation from SWA pilots I knew. The interviews lasted at most 1 hr (all 3 combined). They were very pleasant and pretty informal. I made eye contact while speaking and always kept my jacket on even if they offered me to take it off. But the main thing was be at ease and be yourself. The friend I met was in my interview group and starts Mar. 1 I hope to be in by May 24. Hope this helps good luck.

Radisson?

I heard the gouge is to stay at the Radisson. I also heard this is where the current classes stay as well as some of the interviewers.

Is this true?

Where is the Radisson in relation to SWA/Love Field?

Ground transpotation?

Any idea how to get a good rate?

Is it a good idea to show up on Saturday for a Monday interview?

I read some interview gouge about a guy who had problems with flight connections, ended up getting in late the night before, showed up on two hours of sleep and didn't think he did very well on the questions. I want to avoid any problems.

I think some of these questions might be answered by the packet SWA is sending me, but I haven't got it yet.

bluto,
I think I stayed at the Clarion Suites and had no problems. I arrived on Sunday and made it to my Monday morning interview without a problem.
By the way, do they still ask you if you want a morning or afternoon interview? Or is everything in the morning now?

Last edited:
I heard the gouge is to stay at the Radisson. I also heard this is where the current classes stay as well as some of the interviewers.
Current classes and all training stay at the Renaissance.

ALL DAY

Everyone shows up at 8. Some do the LOI (Line Oriented Interview) first (similar to Fedex's SBI (Situation Based Interview)), then have the interviews after lunch. Some do the interviews first and the LOI later. It's an all-day thing now.

Where's the Renaissance?

Last edited:
In response to the initial post, here are my thoughts.

The pro's/con's of flying on the airline to the interview.

Pro - You meet a check airman, captain, FO, or Chief Pilot in back and shoot the bull and they like you. Its a free ride. You get a feel for how SWA pilots, ops agents, ticket folks, Flight Attendants do business, because this time you are actually paying attention since you have nothing better to do.

Con - The company people you meet don't like you. Doubtful. You get thrown off for being rowdy. You drink (I wouldn't).

Should you drive if you're close enough? I lived in San Antonio and flew up on the free ride. We asked to put our jackets in the cockpit hangar closet and they were more than happy. Broke the ice a little and if the pilots or FAs have time, they will probably make it a point to talk to you. There are some grouchy captains, but odds are you will recognize them from their scowls before speaking to them.

Is it rude to not fly if offered a ticket? Only if you insist on driving from Maine to Dallas. In other words, if you can easily drive and want to, they don't care. And they deal with too many intervieweees to care regardless.

Should you arrive more than just the day before? And do what? Get more nervous. Heck no.

Etiquette on the flight, arrival at the hotel, on the bus, etc. If they are not busy, introduce yourself to the Captain/FO/FAs in the jetway or once on. Make sure you don't hold up the line as they might be running late, or on their last leg of a 4 day trip. I would ask to Captain/FO if they had any last minute pointers. They might, but regardless it will break the ice. If you have a suit, you might ask to store it in the cockpit. Make sure you aren't wearing cruddy clothes yourself. I wouldn't wear jeans, but a coat and tie shouldn't be necessary (but don't let me stop you).

The hotel experience. If you got your suit at the Men's Warehouse you can get them pressed for free, but you obviously need transpo and the time to get there. Not sure where one is located near the hotel. Try to stay in the crew hotel, which I believe is the Renaissance (just ask when making reservations). The hotel is south of the airport down the main highway, about 15 minutes away I think. Don't drink too much, but hit the bar and keep your eyes and ears open. SWA folks like to socialize, and while not talking up the alcohol part, the 2 pilot interviewers are looking for people they can hang out with on a 4 day trip.

Any extra paperwork you took beyond what the airline asks for. If you have your logbook you should bring it. I thought you had to anyway. Make sure it will correlate with the hours you put on the app, taking into account the conversion factors. If the logbook or numbers look obviously doctored, could and should be a show stopper. I brought a spreadsheet too. In general bring what they ask for and any supporting docs you might need to clear up obvious problem areas.

How many letters of recommendation are enough, not enough, too many? 3 min I believe from the requirements. I'm not an interviewer, but 10+ would seem too excessive. I think I had 8 and even that might have been a waste.

--Be prepared for.....what? The new flight scenario in phase II. They say there are no wrong answers, but you can be more right than some I assume. Keep the other pilot in the loop, mention dispatch, informing the flight attendants when you have time, station ops if nearby, don't rush, fly the aircraft, don't panic but don't delay getting any checklist done if called for. I really don't know much about the flight orientation scenario, so those are just common sense things to think of. The company literature on interviewing says only those who pass the interviews go on to the scenario, so if, as another poster mentioned, some folks do it in the morning, I assume it is after an early interview, whereas others have to wait until after lunch, but all should not be going to the scenario as it would be a waste of time (an profit sharing).

Hope some of this info helps. Good luck to all. Remember, most pilot interviewers are looking for people they can hang out with on a 4 day trip and spend 10 hours in the cockpit without wanting to kill them. Don't be a wall flower, but don't talk their ear off either.

Latest resources

Back