Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The odd number atlantic buck..stingy captains it is more common than you thought

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well at my company we are all captains and we swap seats/legs. What to do about the odd number Atlantic Bucks?

The professional, mature thing of course.

Paper, scissors, rock.

The counter girls giggle at us, but hey fair is fair. :D

Why do you think the Cpts are entitled to them and not the F/Os?

Uh, first of all, you are a CREW. Cpts dont make FBO choices, the company does, and the owner gave the money to the CPT, because he was the point of contact, not because he did a good job, and the F/O didnt.

Point is, you are a CREW. Things should be split, with the odd one going to the F/O,,, PERIOD.

Thats just the way it is. ;)

Hey, here's a shocker: You're not ENTITLED to Atlantic Bucks, AvTrip points or even that $100 tip.

I split it all with my crew. I'm not suggesting Captains don't. But you all sound like you expect it. Why can't you be happy the 98% of the times when you do get half?

The FBO offer those incentives to get pilots to buy gas. Guess who makes the fuel purchase decesions. That owner gave that money to the Captain. There is no legal obligation to split it with you.

I'm really not saying Captains should keep the points / tips to themselves. I never would. I'm just saying stop whinning like a baby cause you didn't get what you think you deserve.

after a trip last week the owner gave the captain a tip upon the completion of the flight. i was in the back unloading bags and didn't see the owner give the tip. after cleaning up the plane without his help(yeah big shocker, i know) i went inside and began to eat next to him. the ramper then came in and asked if we got tipped the same amount as him($100). at this point the captain says, "uh..yeah. i was just getting ready to get change". the problem was that the tip came with two $50 bills. he wasn't going to share it with me until he got caught. what an a hole.

if this guy is NJA put his name on the message board and it WILL NOT HAPPEN again..embarrassed the sh&t out of him...

Why do you think the Cpts are entitled to them and not the F/Os?

Uh, first of all, you are a CREW. Cpts dont make FBO choices, the company does, and the owner gave the money to the CPT, because he was the point of contact, not because he did a good job, and the F/O didn't.

Point is, you are a CREW. Things should be split, with the odd one going to the F/O,,, PERIOD.

That's just the way it is. ;)

I said I do split the Atlantic bucks and points.

Yeah, the company makes the FBO choices. But the Captain decides HOW MUCH TO BUY.

Do you think all those pilot perks like quiet rooms, coffee machines and theater seating with a wide screen TV appear to make the company happy?
\
I share the points and bucks and whatever. I give the odd one to the FO. My only point here is for you and every other pilot like you to stop whining that you don't get your half every single time. It's not like the captains OWE you. If they keep them for themselves then they're a right bastard, but they not exactly breaking the law are they?

Just stop crying on a public forum cause you lost out on $5.00. Even if you were a Mesa FO making $16,128 a year that $5.00 works our to just over 3 hundredths of one percent of your pay. Relax and be happy when you get your perks...like 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Yeah, the company makes the FBO choices. But the Captain decides HOW MUCH TO BUY.

Do you think all those pilot perks like quiet rooms, coffee machines and theater seating with a wide screen TV appear to make the company happy?
\
I share the points and bucks and whatever. I give the odd one to the FO. My only point here is for you and every other pilot like you to stop whining that you don't get your half every single time. It's not like the captains OWE you. If they keep them for themselves then they're a right bastard, but they not exactly breaking the law are they?

Just stop crying on a public forum cause you lost out on $5.00. Even if you were a Mesa FO making $16,128 a year that $5.00 works our to just over 3 hundredths of one percent of your pay. Relax and be happy when you get your perks...like 99% of the time.

Glasspilot,

First of all, the decision of the amount of the required fuel uplift is made by the dispatcher at NJA. The PIC may discuss additional uplift with the dispatcher; however, it is a joint responsibility. Should we share the points with the dispatcher?! :eek:

Secondly, please remember that the crew as a whole makes or breaks the operation. Neither the PIC, nor, the SIC is allowed to operate the aircraft by her/himself!

Therefore and in case an owner decides that the operation and the service rendered is worthy of an additional tip, said tip should go to the whole crew. Afterall, the whole crew ensured the safe and successful completion of the flight.

Thirdly, please keep in mind that under the NJA CBA all pilots are entitled equally to loyalty benefits. Nowhere does it mention that the PIC is entitled to more or less benefits then the SIC. It is purely the result of the logistics in place at NJA that the PIC ends up administrating the fuel payment process and therefore the royalty benefits. It is a fairly common occurrence in my experience in which the SIC ends up doing said task instead.

IDEtoNJA

I split the rewards evenly, or if there is an odd number, the odd goes to the FO. But I am married and all of my FO's are not. Even though I make more money it is completely taken up by supporting my wife and kids, the FO's have much more disposable income than I do.

I sure hope you're joking; otherwise you are real piece of work.

Since when is it right to judge a pilot's financial situation based on marital status? :confused:

Glasspilot,

First of all, the decision of the amount of the required fuel uplift is made by the dispatcher at NJA. The PIC may discuss additional uplift with the dispatcher; however, it is a joint responsibility. Should we share the points with the dispatcher?! :eek:

Secondly, please remember that the crew as a whole makes or breaks the operation. Neither the PIC, nor, the SIC is allowed to operate the aircraft by her/himself!

Therefore and in case an owner decides that the operation and the service rendered is worthy of an additional tip, said tip should go to the whole crew. Afterall, the whole crew ensured the safe and successful completion of the flight.

Thirdly, please keep in mind that under the NJA CBA all pilots are entitled equally to loyalty benefits. Nowhere does it mention that the PIC is entitled to more or less benefits then the SIC. It is purely the result of the logistics in place at NJA that the PIC ends up administrating the fuel payment process and therefore the royalty benefits. It is a fairly common occurrence in my experience in which the SIC ends up doing said task instead.

IDEtoNJA

Dispatch decides uplift at NJA? Fine, not at my company. PIC not allowed to operate the aircraft by himself? Fine, not at my company. NJA CBA requires equal benefits to all loyalty programs? Fine, not at my company.

Look, we don't all work for NJA. My posts are not anti-sharing. They're anti-whining. This is the second thread on the subject of Captains not sharing. Fine, Captains should share. But if a guy doesn't then what are you going to do? Log on to some public forum and whine about it? Whatever. Everyone should share. Some don't and complaining on this forum isn't going to change it.

Every Captain I flew with shared. I share and even give the odd one away. I just take issue with people who feel slighted on the line and then come here anonymously and bitch the place down. Have a pair and speak up on the road face to face. Don't come here and whine about your mean Captain when he can't defend himself. Maybe you've ticked him off all week and deserve what you got...nothing. That's all.

I could care less about an Atlantic Buck or an Avtrip point. Its the big tips getting pocketed by FAs that pi$$es me off... There are a few at NJA that have quick those quick fingers.

It's not like the captains OWE you. If they keep them for themselves then they're a right bastard, but they not exactly breaking the law are they?

OK, not really aimed at you, since you say you split, but I think you're missing the point.

Do you even work at a Frac? This is CREW environment.

You act like it's the Cpts benefits.
Why do you think its the Captain's to split?

Thats the point. Its NOT.. Its the CREWS, which is BOTH pilots. As far as the extra ticket, thats just a common respect/courtesy, just like the Cpt buying dinner one night on tour. But you probably dont do that either.

Latest resources

Back