• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The New Southwest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are still the low cost carrier. We are no longer exclusively short haul. The post 9/11 security enhancements and the fees/taxes to cover them have effectively killed the demand for the shorter flights since it takes so long to get thru security, etc.

We are still growing at the same rate we (well, most of it before I was on the property) have for 20+ years, 8-10% a year.

I like the fact that we can change when we need to, e.g. we got rid of the plastic boarding passes. I also like the fact that the company is continually looking at ways to get better/more efficient, e.g. gate services and winglets. We look at assigned seating and different aircraft every couple of years, and so far the added costs have not been justified in the view of our management.

Nuts is 10 or so years old. It is a history of the company up to that point, not a 'bible' or a blueprint. And frankly, they are handing out 'hard landing' in new hire classes these days (or did 2 years ago) not nuts (or maybe in addition to, I forget).

Will we get another plane type at some point? probably, they won't be making the 737 forever. Will we go to assigned seating, maybe. We will do most anything if it fits our business plan of making money while moving people efficiently and safely, at least I hope so.

It is nice that you have such an interest in SWA Big Slick, got another Boyd "the LCC are doomed and UAL has SWA right where they want them" article for us tomorrow?

Big Slick said:
So now it is good that SWA is violating the priciples laid out in NUTS? Now it is clever and creative to go against the ideas of Herb Kelleher? Just asking.

I thought NUTS was the Southwest bible. I thought it defined who you were and what your purpose was.

If you are no longer the short-haul, low-cost leader, who are you?

Slick,

I've gone back through some of your threads. I'm sorry that SWA didn't work out for you. After 22 1/2 years in the Air Force, I know over 100 guys at SWA. Given that, I know of only one guy who didn't like SWA. He was a fellow Viper Driver and he didn't like having to "work" so hard and he didn't like the fact that SWA only had profit sharing and a 401K. He left SWA in the '97/'98 timeframe. I have lost track of him, but I believe he is furloughed from United. At that time, UAL was the place with the big new contract.

For me, yeah, I drink the kool-aid, but it is pretty darn stale kool-aid, since I have wanted to fly for SWA since I was a snot-nosed 2 LT in 1984. My first flight on SWA in 1984 told me there was something special about this airline. The flight crew and employees were having fun. It struck me as being something I wanted to be a part of. My goal was always SWA. When I got into the Viper community, almost all the guys who were getting out were going to SWA. Not all, but most. When I looked at the quality of the guys going to SWA, I realized something, they were the guys I admired most for their dedication to flying and their pilot skills. They were usually the best pilots in the squadron. When they told me of the environment at SWA, and the fun they had, I wanted to be a part of that, too!

Granted, it's not for everyone. Some people like to drone for hours and visit far off lands. I spent most of my AF career overseas...I've filled the "see the world" box. Been there done that. I want to fly one aircraft, I want to know it well, and I want to not be jumping time zones 'cause that makes me tired. I want to fly in MY country for once. Also, as a current SWA CA related to me; flying at SWA is a lot like flying a fighter in that you hand fly the departure up to cruise, you cruise for a few minutes and then you're into the arrival. It's fast-paced and furious. I like that kind of flying, but that's not for everyone. Sometimes, I like to drone, too. Luckily, my new company will allow me to bid lines where I can do the whole mix of flying. I happen to like that.

I've rambled off on a bunch of deer trails, so, you can come on here and bash us as much as you want, it's a glorious, free country. And it's a message board where anybody can state their views and opinions...as you have done.
But, your snipy little attacks grow wearisome and it reeks of sour grapes. Give it a rest.

Finally, NUTS was written over 10 years ago. If you think that a company should blindly stick to a business plan in a rapidily changing, post 9/11 business environment, then you must not have much of a clue on basic business. Have you gotten your Masters yet? It's again, one of the things I luv about this company, they have the moxie to make changes to stay profitable.

Cheers.

The book "Nuts" is not are bible and Nothing is written in stone. We can change are ways wherever and whenever. To stay successful you need to lead or get out of the way. Gary Kelly knows what he is doing.

F16TJ said:
Also, as a current SWA CA related to me; flying at SWA is a lot like flying a fighter in that you hand fly the departure up to cruise, you cruise for a few minutes and then you're into the arrival. It's fast-paced and furious. I like that kind of flying, but that's not for everyone. Sometimes, I like to drone, too.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Flying "Vipers" is like flying in the airlines?

Oh well, can't resist: on my last trip my CA and I threw on some NVGs and pretended to do some stern conversions on the transcon traffic. I got 2 virtual "kills." My RIO and I have been accepted to JetBlue Fighter Weapons School in the fall. Life is good.

So glad I am a Naval Radiator (reserve).

Many companies have failed because they rested on their laurels and didn't want to change. Good, well managed companies are willing to constantly look at themselves and the environment they operate and aren't afraid to make changes. The legacy carriers are an example of companies who just sat back and didn't see the competitive landscape change and thought they were bullet proof.

Firstthird and F-16TJ, I thought your responses were intelligent and made sense. You both seem like you have your heads screwed on straight.

I started all this flamebait because SWA FO and some of his cronies were getting out of control on this board. I guess I'm becoming as bad as them now.

His responses to my flamebait haven't been nearly as thoughtful as yours. Maybe subconsciously I do have a little bit of a sour grape mentality, who knows. Good luck with your career.

I guess in 20 years we'll know how everything worked out.

One other thing that is not meant to be flamebait, just a point of discussion. As an outside observer, SWA's culture does seem to have changed in since 9/11. You guys are no longer the elvis-dressing underdog. I'm not sure what your personality is now, but it is different. Maybe its because of your growth or maybe its because Herb is gone.

Last edited:
TJ-
Good response, many of the reasons you stated are why I consider myself fortunate to have this opportunity as well. I guess fighter guys and heavy guys have more in common than we thought!
See you in class next week.....

I started all this flamebait because SWA FO and some of his cronies were getting out of control on this board. I guess I'm becoming as bad as them now

Its SWA/FO... why all the concern about what I type? I don't pick fights, I just finish them. HERB is still involved with us here at Southwest.

As a long-term fan of SWA, I have secretly believed and hoped that 'Operation SWA/FO' is a fancy strategy to make the SWA Pilot group look bad. Anybody who dislikes SWA/FO is not necessarily an enemy of the SWA Pilot group.

-VIC

Last edited:
Big Slick Posts: 32
SWA FO Posts: 1363

I've got a long way to go to reach his level.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back