Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Slick

NUTS page 49.
Even at the height of its success, Southwest exercises the discipline not to stray from its strategy. It does not, for example, buy jumbo jets, fly international routes, or go head-to-head with the major carriers. While other niche carriers have been lured by the temptation to step outside their niche, Southwest Airlines has maintained the discipline to stay focused on its fundamental reason for being.

SAY NUTS TO MARKET SHARE
In serving its specific market niche, Southwest Airlines is obsessed with keeping costs low to maximize profitability instead of being concerned with increasing market share. Kelleher believes that confusing the two concepts has derailed many firms that were otherwise on track in fulfilling their fundamental purpose. “Market share has nothing to do with profitability,” he says. “Market share says we just want to be big; we don’t care if we make money doing it. That’s what misled much of the airline industry for fifteen years, after deregulation. In order to get an additional 5 percent of the market, some companies increased their costs by 25 percent. That’s really incongruous if profitability is your purpose.”

Southwest is successful because it is willing to forgo revenue-generating opportunities in markets that would disproportionately increase its costs. By focusing on profitability instead of market share, the company has demonstrated the discipline to do without market segments that don’t fit its niche. And no carrier knows its niche as well as Southwest.

Interview with Gary Kelly, SWA CEO (26 Feb 2006)

Since taking over the airline three years after charismatic founder Herb D. Kelleher retired, Kelly has led development of a more aggressive airline, adding airports, challenging traditional carriers on their turf and forming a partnership with ATA Airlines that could give it an opening into the international market.

No, you don't stand still. You grow or you shrink. There is no in-between.

We're also off to a fast start in Denver, and we're trying to get more gates in Philly.

These destinations are just the beginning for Southwest in Denver.

We don't have international capabilities. We are constructing that within our reservation system right now.

Last edited:
Does your flight commander know that you never work and just surf the internet all day on a government computer?

Slick Willie,

What you playing with "junior" again while reading NUTS? You know this is not a medical book? :eek:

Big Slick said:
Any thoughtful comments on the contents of my post?
I have nothing insightful, but thanks for actually doing the research to back up what a lot of insightful people have seen for the last year or so. I know of more than one SWA pilot who is worried about their companies future because of this need for expansion to cover ever growing labor costs.

Good Luck SWA and everyone else, (except for anyone who bought a job)

Mr.Happy

PS, what insightful people have been seeing for some time is this: SWA is not the same as they were during the years that they built the foundation for their current success.

Times change...game plans change.. I'm thankful, I work for a company that can change its game plan.

Good one F16TJ! After class come on here and enjoy these annoying kids with the rest of us "newbie", unfortunate SWA koolaide drinkers.

Slick-where do robbers go to make big bucks? big banks. Where do airlines go to make big bucks? Big cities. No surprise we are going where the money is.

SWA raises prices $10.00 on long haul and $ 2.00 on short haul flts. Other airlines follow suit.

Labor costs are growing, but CASM ex-fuel is down. So no need to reinvent the wheel quite yet. Better pay, but less folks per jet, that is called efficiency.

So now it is good that SWA is violating the priciples laid out in NUTS? Now it is clever and creative to go against the ideas of Herb Kelleher? Just asking.

I thought NUTS was the Southwest bible. I thought it defined who you were and what your purpose was.

If you are no longer the short-haul, low-cost leader, who are you?

I thought NUTS was the Southwest bible. I thought it defined who you were and what your purpose was.

NUTS was written by people outside the company.

If you are no longer the short-haul, low-cost leader, who are you?

What do you want us to be? We are everything!

Latest resources

Back