Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The most expensive magazine turns alarmist....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So I am part of the problem because ALPA chose to NOT represent my company because we were too small?

Isn't Bearskin Airlines represented by ALPA, they have like a handful of Beech 99's and Metros? Isn't Commutair represented by ALPA?

What is the history here? It seems doubtful they turned their nose up at your company.

Bearskin was represented by CALPA, the Canadian Airline Pilots Asocciation,which merged with ALPA after Air Canada defected which in turn forced CALPA to file for the Canadian equivelant of BK court protection . The ALPA-CALPA merger occured around this time,with all airlines represented by CALPA becoming ALPA represented carriers. This is how Bearskin became an ALPA represented carrier. I doubt ALPA would have shown much interest if Bearskin was non union and expressed an interest in becoming an Alpa carrier on their own.

PHXFLYR

Last edited:
Isn't Bearskin Airlines represented by ALPA, they have like a handful of Beech 99's and Metros? Isn't Commutair represented by ALPA?

What is the history here? It seems doubtful they turned their nose up at your company.

ALPA didn't want Chautauqua a decade ago when they flew Jetstreams and Saabs...so CHQ pilots went with the IBT because they would represent them.

Wouldn't ALPA National love to have RAH (and their dues revenue) now!

I wish I could once more step up to the plate, and volunteer. My job, however, was outsourced, and I'm no longer an active member. I'm too busy trying to save the house....THANKS WOERTHLESS, who signed and approved all the contracts with outsourcing. THANKS Northwest and United MEC's, who negotiated all the regional jet outsourcing, and established the third rate regional career standards, which the majority of their pilots will be subject to for the entirety of their careers...

All you hard chargers who step up to volunteer for alpa: it's a great calling, but also keep one eye on the MEC's, negotiators, alpa lawyers, and alpa chairman, who may find gain in the loss of your job!

for pilots who aren't ALPA members, there is CAPA-PAC

http://www.capapilots.org/capa_pac.asp

I hate to disagree, but any pilot who contributes to CAPA-PAC is only throwing his money away. CAPA hasn't actively engaged in campaign contributions in several years. The little bit of money that they collect just sits in the small bank account and serves no purpose. Don't throw away your money by sending it to CAPA.

Bearskin was represented by CALPA, the Canadian Airline Pilots Asocciation,which merged with ALPA after Air Canada defected which in turn forced CALPA to file for the Canadian equivelant of BK court protection . The ALPA-CALPA merger occured around this time,with all airlines represented by CALPA becoming ALPA represented carriers. This is how Bearskin became an ALPA represented carrier. I doubt ALPA would have shown much interest if Bearskin was non union and expressed an interest in becoming an Alpa carrier on their own.

PHXFLYR

ALPA has organized several very small Canadian airlines in the last few years, long after the CALPA merger. Wasaya was the latest example, with just a handful of pilots. Commutair and Colgan are also good examples of small American regionals that have been organized in the last few years. Commutair has just 150 pilots. Size has been a factor in the past for ALPA when making decisions about organizing drives, but it hasn't been in recent years.

I hate to disagree, but any pilot who contributes to CAPA-PAC is only throwing his money away. CAPA hasn't actively engaged in campaign contributions in several years. The little bit of money that they collect just sits in the small bank account and serves no purpose. Don't throw away your money by sending it to CAPA..

That might be true.... then suggesting ALPA is really the only effective game in town...

Nonetheless, the SWA, AMR, USAPA and others have an avenue... what they chose to do with it is up to them.....

The maritime industry is an example to follow with flags of convenience, foreign ownership and foreign crews.

The maritime industry is one of the most regulated industries in the US courtesy of the Jones Act, FMC, etc. The carriers have anti-trust immunity which allows them to price fix, negotiate joint rates with suppliers, capacity share, etc.

So in 90% of your posts you push the need to re-regulate aviation but then you use a heavily regulated industry to point out how/why aviation needs to watch out?

Here is a hint to the solution for both aviation and the maritime industry. Badly run business's no matter the circumstances will eventually fail.

The maritime industry is one of the most regulated industries in the US courtesy of the Jones Act, FMC, etc. The carriers have anti-trust immunity which allows them to price fix, negotiate joint rates with suppliers, capacity share, etc.

The jones act covers waterways domestically... I am speaking globally...

Of the thousands of ships in the maritime industry less than 90 are American and most of those are controlled by the govt to move the MIL. There is hardly any commerical US operations.

Most of the crews in the global maritime industry are filipino...

So in 90% of your posts you push the need to re-regulate aviation but then you use a heavily regulated industry to point out how/why aviation needs to watch out?

Incorrect... you don't understand the issue... or you are focused on domestic..

Here is a hint to the solution for both aviation and the maritime industry. Badly run business's no matter the circumstances will eventually fail.

Perhaps you didn't read the magazine this month? Or look at the http://www.demos.org/ report on the failed deregulated industry...

here is more

http://www.eurunion.org/eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2936&Itemid=26

Minimaniac posted: So I am part of the problem because ALPA chose to NOT represent my company because we were too small?

Umm no...I doubt that was the case with your airline. Which was what again?

ALPA doesn't chose a pilot group...a pilot group choses ALPA.

Latest resources

Back