Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: The magic numbers, then and now

bobbysamd said:
Congratulations on reaching 1000/100. But, to put perspective on your achievement, the magic numbers were 1500/500 in the late '80s-early '90s.

Actually, the early 90's had a magic number of 2500/500 and that was to Pay for Training.

I know 2 guys who just got hired at ACA this week....they have around 2000TT.

Just keep flying anything you can and keep applying anywhere you'd want to work for at least 5-10 years (just in case).

Good Luck,
Jetpilot500

Flydog,
King Air pilots with no multi? Maybe flying skydivers, but how could anyone else get insurance for that? I know, we all hear those stories, but the one guy that this happened to also probably owned the aircraft. Actually, I have a friend who bought a King Air to fly jumpers, and he had to have an Aztec for a year first to build his mulit time before he could buy one. Good luck.

Being young with 1300 and 150 is not getting me a job anywhere. Then again, I'm "tainted goods" because I'm on furlough, and since I can't get a job I'm getting less and less current which just makes it harder and harder to get a job.

flydog paints a pretty lovely picture, but it's just not that easy. It's hard to even get a callback on a resume. I keep plugging away and I know that recall will come eventually, and hope something else comes up first.

Insurance requirements vary widely. A company with a fleet of 10 airplanes that has been in business for 20 years and sends their pilots to Flight Safety once a year will have lower premiums and fewer restrictions than a single airplane operations that just bought an airplane.

We dont have any minimum multi time or total time requirements. If a guy has an ATP he can fly Captain in any jet as long as they are sim current wether they have 1,500 or 20,000 hrs. With the King Air the requirements are 135 IFR minimums

A skydiving operation would have much higher premiums and pilot experience requirements especially due to the type of operation, lack of sim training, and the fact that most havent owned their plane for that long. A 135 charter company will likely have lower insurance premiums and pilot requirements.

On the other hand I was turned down for jobs because they needed captains with 6000 TT, 5000 multi, and 3000 PIC Jet. I dont know many guys flying corporate with those times. Obviously their insurance premiums are either very low or they have a poor safety record.

I know fairly recently, Commutair and Colgan Air were hiring and interviewing people with 1,000tt/100multi. You'll probably get paid less than what you'd get paid at Wendy's, but I know they are, or atleast, were hiring.

Latest resources

Back