Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
Oh jeez. :eek:

Now you went and done it. Pilotyip will be along shortly to give us his spiel on how being a pilot has nothing to do with being educated.

Uh oh. Am I gonna "get schooled" about how we don't need no stinkin' school? :D

Oh well. Bring it on, FlightInfo Ho's. I expect most pilots without a degree to flame me and tell me that a degree is not required to be a pilot. That's clearly true, which is part of my point: It's not a requirement--but if it were, and if we had an over-arching professional standards group, like the AMA or ABA, it obviously would be harder for people to become pilots, which means there would be fewer of us available, which means we would be getting paid more and treated better.

That's a big part of what the AMA and ABA do--they keep the bar high so salaries stay high. I bet a lot of people could do surgery or make good legal arguments without having a degree or going to med school or law school. But the AMA and ABA ensure that only the people who have an education and then some can become doctors and lawyers. And that keeps salaries high.

It's hard to argue with all the statistics that link higher education to higher income. Yeah, I know there are the exceptions like Bill Gates and other college dropouts who made it big.

I'm not knocking people who don't have degrees. And no, I don't think having a degree necessarily makes you smarter or a better pilot. But can someone tell me how it would hurt our profession to have some higher standards for entry?

I'm strictly talking about how education relates to our profession and why our career seems to be on the downward slide, particularly in relation to other careers that demand a higher education. Why should we as pilots expect anything different if we don't demand a higher standard for ourselves and our peers?

Okay...school me. : )

Last edited:
Everything is relative.

I never thought the in residency doctor who is awake for 36 hours was very professional. A complex issue, but the senior doctors don't care because they had to do it... so much for policing your own and your industry.

Also, doctors are leaving communities and thier profession due to mal practice. It is all about the dollar

Good post.

Because this industry is so messed up I spend all my free time figuring out how to get out. The one good thing I have learned is I am tired of the airline industry and as a matter of fact everything else deciding where my life goes. I am working hard to start my own business and be my own boss. That way if things get messed up it is my fault.

The industry is going to see a lot of people get the heck out. Everyone I fly with is sick of this stuff and often they are looking to do something else.

Going on an making a decent paycheck with even just a little job security is enjoyed by only a few (Southwest, Ups, Fedex). The odds of getting hired there are not that great and I don't want to be an older guy finally realizing I am too old to go there and I am stuck at a regional that barely pays enough to raise a family.

This industry has a lot of problems that will never be fixed. I have realized that and I am one good qualified captain that is going to move on so a low time inexperienced captain can take my place.

What I see coming is people will ask at the counter what the experience level is of the crew of regional flight. It is going down hill so fast I think the safetly level is next.

Lebowski said:
Uh oh. Am I gonna "get schooled" about how we don't need no stinkin' school? :D

Oh well. Bring it on, FlightInfo Ho's. I expect most pilots without a degree to flame me and tell me that a degree is not required to be a pilot. That's clearly true, which is part of my point: It's not a requirement--but if it were, and if we had an over-arching professional standards group, like the AMA or ABA, it obviously would be harder for people to become pilots, which means there would be fewer of us available, which means we would be getting paid more and treated better.

That's a big part of what the AMA and ABA do--they keep the bar high so salaries stay high. I bet a lot of people could do surgery or make good legal arguments without having a degree or going to med school or law school. But the AMA and ABA ensure that only the people who have an education and then some can become doctors and lawyers. And that keeps salaries high.

It's hard to argue with all the statistics that link higher education to higher income. Yeah, I know there are the exceptions like Bill Gates and other college dropouts who made it big.

I'm not knocking people who don't have degrees. And no, I don't think having a degree necessarily makes you smarter or a better pilot. But can someone tell me how it would hurt our profession to have some higher standards for entry?

I'm strictly talking about how education relates to our profession and why our career seems to be on the downward slide, particularly in relation to other careers that demand a higher education. Why should we as pilots expect anything different if we don't demand a higher standard for ourselves and our peers?

Okay...school me. : )

I agree with you.

Last edited:
someone call? There is a Jet Blue pilot in another thread commenting about his lack of a dgree and his success as a military and Jet Blue pilot. I am not making any claims here about the degree or non-degree just bringing everyone up to date on real world of success in a flying career. This is still a great career where else can a high school grad make $100K/yr by his mid-30's with 12-14 days off per month.

Last edited:
I am not suggesting that this would even be a good idea, but just for one moment SPECULATE on the effect on the industry if ALPA set a minimum of 1500 hours and an ATP to be an ALPA pilot.

Just consider.

Last edited:
100LL... Again! said:
I am not suggesting that this would even be a good idea, but just for one moment SPECULATE on the effect on the industry if ALPA set a minimum of 1500 hours and an ATP to be an ALPA pilot.

Just consider.

Crazy stuff.... that isn't going to prevent others from getting hired. Divide and conquer, whipsaw will be managments greatest delight...

All pilots who don't fit the bill will be called scabs......

nasty....

av8er2 said:
I am working hard to start my own business and be my own boss. That way if things get messed up it is my fault.

Good call. The only way to make it in this country is ownership. Ownership in stock, real estate and a business.

Just don't compete with Wal Mart....

Couple of things to add...

WillowRunVortex was making a good point...

I am sure there are many people out there who can figure out what is wrong with you and give you the approiate medicine (moms do it all the time). What I am saying, is that with a little on the job training...we could do a doctors job. They have the high education because the AMA requires it.

We do need higher standards for commercial / atp certificates and the airlines should be restricted on hiring low time pilots. This will absolutely have to come from the FAA. The only thing ALPA could do is pressure / lobby the FAA and Congress for these changes.

Maybe we are the ones who need to start pressuring ALPA to pressure the FAA.

Solution simple to understand, hard to impliment.

Look at the structure of the Merchant Marine, use that structure in our industry.

That union structure would eliminate most of the major problems that we encounter today. (mergers & seniority integration, pay rates, work rules, unified contracts....)

If you're too lazy to research, you'll never know. Once you do, you will not question.

Jedi mind trick.... ...but the structure seems much better to me.....

Latest resources

Back