• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"The list"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guy in the squadron who is an FO at SWA said they had a young regional FO come up for a jumpseat with an "interesting" last name. The Capt asked "Is your father so and so..." The kid said "I'll go find another flight. Have a nice day." The Capt said, "That would be a good idea." The sins of the father. Note to self....don't SCAB, but especially don't SCAB if you have a funny last name!

Does that captain also deny pilots who have Japanese and German sounding names too? Gotta hold these kids responsible for what their parents and grandparents did, you know. :rolleyes:

Says the SCAB???

No, says a guy in 2013 that people need to get over it. ALPA certainly did! They were all forgiven just as soon as they were on the payroll giving dues to ALPA. As long as ALPA gets the dolla bills, they are satisfied.

America West employed a lot of Wein 1977 scabs when they first commenced hiring, Continental scabs were suddenly transformed into "members in good standing with unfortunate dates of hire" (as per ALPO...your dog-food union)...so all in all, while most certainly scabbing is not on my menu, the name calling and "career ending" facets of scabbing are a toothless tiger...

Yep utterly toothless. I fly with CAL scabs all the time. Like it or not, it has been a good career for them. These days they are enjoying a new contract while sucking every last dollar out before they mercifully hit 65. Some even attempt to point out to me that ALPA forgave them in 2001 so they are not scabs. Of course I tell them to GFTS, but then again the geniuses in Herndon do give them 25 Year pins. :angryfire

Ok sacha- you know that's really crazy right?
As if its liberals hiring ALL the lawyers...? (Talking out of both sides of your mouth)
In the interest of drift- you just keep on keeping on brother and thinking the whole world would be perfect if only they thought like YOU(!)

Agree to disagree and you guys debate scabbing all you want to.

Sounds like you need to calm the f down and listen a bit- instead of getting full blown spooled up on a dime

Wavie,

Am I hurting your Left wing nut feelings? Observing things that make you feel....uncomfortable? That's not fair? So you do what all Liberals do......tell me to Shut Up!

I'm calling a Lawyer! There ought to be a Law!

For anyone who is curious about Wavies way of thinking, he instructs me to calm down, yet if look at the thread on age 67 you will be able to watch him pile on Pilotyip in a futile attempt to shut down his opinion. Pilotyip won't take the bait which drives our SWA Occupy Nut insane......so predictable.

Hate to break it to you, Sacha, but as bad as SCABs are, those right wing politicians that you keep voting for have done far more damage to organized labor than the SCABs could have ever hoped to do. Nothing is more comical than someone who votes for Republicans pretending to be a militant trade unionist.

Where in any of my postings did you infer that I was a "Militant Trade Unionist"? I believe in Capitalism, the Private Sector, limited Public Sector Unions and Private Sector Unions if the majority of the Employees want it.

Try actually reading my posts.

Even though I have been a Union member since my teens starting with the Restaurant workers union, I have yet to have a Union offer me a job.......

Oh...and I had the pleasure of flying on Aeroflot in 1990 not too long after the Soviet Union fell apart...not fun. But you may have been impressed...after all....they were "Your Brothers"

Waveflyer,

I see where you characterized Pilotyip and his age group "a generation of Leeches" on the age 67 thread. Did I read that right? It just so happens that Pilotyip sent me a lengthy PM
describing his background and accomplishments in a very humble way. I wish I flew with more guys like him and less like you. Thankfully, at SWA, there are few like you.

If anyone I flew with EVER referred to Vietnam Vets as as a "Generation of Leeches" they would be tossed off the Jet at the next stop.....then there would be a nice, little Party in the Employee lot in the future for the cowardly little Pri&k.

Off the subject. My dad flew B17s in WWII. A Professional pilot after the War, I surprised him with a B17 ride on his 90th birthday. Fittingly enough, it was his last flight ever as he passed away 6 months later. Sadly the B17 we flew in bellied in up north and caught fire. He said those guys did a beautiful job on the Restoration. Boy did he love that Bomber.

Good story. My brothers and I gave my Dad a ride in an AT6 when he was in his mid eighties. We also got a video of it. Dad was not one to boast much, so it always took some coaxing to get him to elaborate on his flying career. While the guy who gave him the ride (and let him fly it some) was stoked to hear his passenger had flown AT6's in WW2, he didn't have a clue of the history he had riding with him....... Dad was RAF pre WW2, then a WASP instructor (he is prominent in the Marion Hodgson book Winning My Wings..... she recounted the story I had only recently heard from him for the first time, while giving dual in a PT 19, his baseball hat flew off his head. He did a split s and caught it as it floated to the ground!) I've talked to ex WASP's that knew him and he was remembered for being a check pilot that was very skilled but more importantly, a very compassionate instructor that was very accepting of the than new concept of woman pilots. (some of it not so politically correct though, he dated Shirley Slade, the girl on the Jul 19, 1943 Life magazine cover that you see in WASP articles so often) He went on to Chance Voight as a production test pilot in the F4U Corsair. He was there the same time as Lindbergh and Wolfgang Langwiesche. That's were he met my Mom, a former Colonial Airways stewardess who was now a link instructor, and yep, she actually gave Lindbergh link time (good story there, way to deep to get into here).
Dad went on to a 32 year career with UAL. Which spanned from DC-3's to 727's. He used to fly F/O on DC-6's and 7's to Hawaii with Lindberghs old barnstorming partner Bud Gurney and others that started their careers in Mail Planes and retired from DC-8's.
We all saw the publicity Sully got when he lost both engines in a sleek AirBus and landed in calm winds in the Hudson. Well on December 30th 1964, Dad was IFR on a very rainy day northeast of LAX in a Convair 340 when BOTH engines failed. In the clouds, over the San Gabriel Mountains and sinking like a stone, ATC mistakenly answered his MayDay call with a vector that would have taken him into the highest peak around while still in the clouds. He had the situational awareness and calm under pressure to realize that heading sounded wrong. So he didn't accept it, as a result, he popped out of the clouds in a valley facing a wall of mountains ahead and of both wings. A quick 180 lined him up with a beet field, were he had to duck under some powerlines to accomplish the successful landing that left no one hurt (or threatening to sue!) and the airplane was fixed and flown out 3 weeks later. Although one little old lady did come up to my Dad as they were all standing around in the mud and ask if she was going to miss her connection in LAX!

Sorry if this sounds long winded, I just meant to post to add to Sachas story because like his Dad and mine, there are 1000's of amazing flying careers out there that we are only one generation removed from. They are going fast. APPRECIATE THEM WHILE THEY ARE HERE AND ASK LOT'S OF QUESTIONS. Sadly once they are gone, no matter how well you communicated with them, you will always be kicking yourself for not delving deeper into their flying stories!

Latest resources

Back