The latest Fedex rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VaB

I've heard it from a couple of different places now and think there might be something to this one, however it is still speculation.

Some folks are thinking that the bid we just had will be undone, and they are going to have to have another one. Something to do with more mail contracts that were picked up, but the bean counters didn't know about them. So when they did the bid, they didn't fill secondaries in the 727 or DC10, and those are the only planes with room on them for mail right now.

So what I (and only I) can speculate on is that they will have to do another bid with more secondaries being filled. I think the repercussions of cancelling a bid would probably be pretty horrendous, so I don't know. The other thing they could do is just do an additional bid to fill secondaries. Either way, it sounds like hiring will have to be done soon (if any of this is true, that is). We'll just have to wait and see.

Also heard that we have finally got confirmation on the Swissair MD11's. But I've been hearing that for the last 2 years, so...

Anyway that's the latest rumor that seems to be gaining some momentum.

love that rumor...anything that gets me closer to training in mem. thanks again to all of the fedex folks putting everything they know or hear on the board. it is a lifeline to those of us in the pool.

h.j.s.

I love tidbits, too....

Thanks, VaB, for the info.

Anyone know what this "training letter" is that has been mentioned on other FedEx posts? They say it is posted on the FedEx pilot web site.

Paddle, paddle,
Elvis Lives!

The Mad Dog

I heard the same story from 2 "very" credible sources. I was told I could use the term "credible" but no names.

I was told that there was some talk about the increased capacity from the postal contract during the bid, but nothing definitive. Since they needed to get the bid done to spool up training, they made no changes. Now it appears that a whole new bid will occur and that the Boeing fleet will be the most impacted followed by secondaries.

Considering the sources, I would take it at least a notch past rumor.

FCIF this morning said no class swapping beyond April training due to "new issues being analysed that might directly impact our current bid awards." Perhaps this is why they delayed the bid to start with, they were waiting on something. Could it be new aircraft (additional or new type) or additional routes? In any case I only think my seniority will go up. Poolies hold on tight to another ride on the rumor roller coaster.

Just to be objective, let me play devils advocate for one minute, that's all the devil derserves. After reading the egram from the VP of FDX express, I was somewhat concerned about the flat and even negative express trends, esp domestic. We are making $$ but not growing. With SARS outbreak potentially affecting the Aisa markets, this bean counter analysis the the SCP talked about could be the opposite of what every hopes for. In other words trimming back. Someone please punch a whole in my line of reasoning because no one wants to hear this dribble.

I just heard from a very credible source that the bid will either be redone, or another bid will come out due to the addition of another 40 wide body captains. We'll see what happens. If true, it should definitely mean more hiring is necessary.

Rumors Rumors?

My neighbor who is a DC10 Capt and School house Instr. just told me that the above is more than just a rumor. According to him some big mail contract just got signed, and we are now going to be short on crews and airframes. He said "they weren't going to hire at all this year, and now they are way behind". Also said that bid will either be redone, or there will be another. Hopefuly this " more than just a rumor" will have some fruition to it.

USNFDX has about the same info that I got. Different source, but real similiar story...shortage of crews and AIRFRAMES.

I was told that a "LARGE" increase in Postal capacity is expected into the foreseeable future due to a "recently signed agreement". I was also told that the acquisition people were hunting hard for more boeings and that some of those that were being flown less due to impending "C" checks are being flown more to get them into and out of "C" checks quickly. I didn't hear anything about increased widebody use, only Boeing. These credible sources are in a position to "need to know".

Take it for what it's worth, but I see some serious movement in the near future.

I heard the same rumor last night. The Capt I flew with has a bud that heard it form the chief pilot. Basically said the mail contract was going to increase by about 20% or so. Mostly going to be picked up by the 727. Thus, they may need to freeze some of those folks (for the short run) who had bid out of the 727 to fill the gap. Anyway you look at it, seems positive to me. Hopefully you poolies will hear something soon.

T-38 Dude

Latest resources

Back