THE Kit Darby Book of Revelation!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

NetJets has been having a net loss of pilots monthly since about Jan. MANY cargo airlines are having extreme difficulty in manning the aircraft they are trying to fly.

cliff
YIP

Kit.....

I have been doing this gig perhaps a little longer than some, but I was around for some previous "pilot shortages."
Yep, I have heard the same song and dance out of Kit before. The other time it was due to all the "Vietnam-era" pilots retiring..... Do the math-there ain't a lot of those guys left below age 60.
The truth is simple-this industry (regionals) has always had one of the biggest roller-coaster supply-and-demand situations anywhere.
If there were truly a pilot shortage, why would American still have so many on furlough? The fact remains that the "good" jobs in the industry are always going to be in high demand, and the regionals are always going to suck and have problems attracting people.

I have actually seen three of these cycles since I have been flying...Never yet to see the huge "Vietnam-era" retirements that my boy Kit used to crow about!
-Pilot shortage, my butt!

Different this time

jmoney, no this time it is different, 250 hr pilots are getting jobs as professional pilots. I have been job shopping since 1971, and I have never seen this. Plus we are not producing new pilots; the old path of CFIing for a couple years is no longer necessary. True UPS, FedEx, SWA, etc are not going to have trouble filling open seats, but they too will redefine their competitive minimums

Last edited:
The fact remains that the "good" jobs in the industry are always going to be in high demand, and the regionals are always going to suck and have problems attracting people.

BINGO!
Kit has been feeding on this fact for the past 30 years.
Good employers see no shortage.
Crappy employers do. It is that simple....

This has been beaten to death. For someone not familiar with coming into the civilian aviation job market, the Air Inc job fairs are very beneficial. I wish they had had these when I got out of the Navy 1977. Kit may be considered a rip off, but he is providing a service. You elect to use his service or not. You do not judge people who use his service. As stated before the face-to-face time at the Job Fairs has resulted in jobs, renewed networking and meeting new people who can join your network. Going once should really be considered. What are a couple hundred bucks in the big scheme of a job search?

NetJets has been having a net loss of pilots monthly since about Jan
Not sure where you got that info, but not according to the last attrition list. No more than about 12 have left in any month. Only 4 left in Apr. New hire classes avg around 20.

All this does not change my opinion that Kit Darby is a SCUM BAG!

Hey Kit, was that chair on managements side of the table comfortable? :angryfire
Loser.

Flash from the past!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,898200,00.html

The Pilot Shortage

Friday, Jun. 26, 1964

When the commercial jets flew into service, they made the airline pilot a surplus commodity. Because the airlines could carry many more people much faster, they needed smaller fleets of planes and fewer men to fly them. The lines laid off hundreds of pilots, demoted countless others to lower ranks in the cockpit. Now the situation has made a full turn; for the first time in the annals of peacetime aviation, there is a serious pilot shortage.
TWA says it "desperately needs pilots," recently hired 190 of them, its first newcomers since 1957. To sell flying careers to young men, it sends teams of pilots on speaking tours around the country. Pan Am hopes to hire up to 275 pilots this year. Eastern has been recruiting at Air Force bases, recently added 400. TWA, Eastern and United also have been advertising in the help-wanted columns, and United is busy at its large flight-training school at Denver, intends to break in more than 1,000 men over the next two years.
The pay is high, and can become skyhigh. Pilots who handle the large jets begin at $6,000 to $6,720 the first year, then soar to some $35,000, plus many benefits, by the ninth year—for 85 airborne hours a month.
Why, then, the shortage? For one thing, the surge in travel has led airlines to greatly expand their fleets; last week TWA announced the largest equipment order in its history, 33 jets totaling $162 million. The airlines have usually picked up many pilots from the ranks of young officers who quit the Air Force after a few years; but with the switch to missiles, the military is training fewer pilots. Simultaneously, many of the pioneering pilots of the 1920s and 1930s are reaching the compulsory retirement age of 60. The Air Line Pilots Association figures that 1,400 older commercial pilots—10% of the nation's total—will get their wings clipped within the next decade. Says A.L.P.A.'s magazine: "Only a national emergency requiring the training of thousands will create a surplus."

Latest resources

Back