• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Jetfuel Conspiracy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My father, an architect, just looked at a airborne photo of the south Florida area and said
"America is the only place that does that."

Refering to single family homes and sprawl. Where a car is necessary.

True, but remember that in most european cities it is quite possible to live without a car at all, as people live closer to their jobs and most have good public transit systems. The exact opposite is true here.

Our history is a ...little shorter... than Europe's, it's not an evil plot by short-sighted idiots. We've been a rural society since the beginning. If we were packed in tight and developed like Europe, we'd have a transportation system fully developed like Europe. Germany, for example, has nearly 9 times the population density as the US.

New York City is a great example, developed and dense, but has a public system that allows its citizens the ability to live without a car.

My father, an architect, just looked at a airborne photo of the south Florida area and said
"America is the only place that does that."

Refering to single family homes and sprawl. Where a car is necessary.

Of course, and we have been doing it for so long it is "normal", and far far too late to stop.

New York City is a great example, developed and dense, but has a public system that allows its citizens the ability to live without a car.

i live in nyc and don't own a car. everyone at my company thinks its the craziest thing but they all live in a suburb. guess who doest care how much gas cost.

Of course, and we have been doing it for so long it is "normal", and far far too late to stop.

We are going to HAVE to stop, and change our habits. Like it or not. The F-150's MUST go the way of the B-58 Hustler. This is not sustainable.

So what can be done about it? I really don't hear anyone in gov't or any candidates talking about it.

Was watching C-SPAN today and some senators were talking about closing the ENRON loophole. (not sure what that is). They were laying blame at the feet of greedy speculators- saying that oil could (not would though) come down by 30 + dollars.

Glad to see them trying something though...

Also, I can't believe I was watching C-SPAN, I need a life.

Was watching C-SPAN today and some senators were talking about closing the ENRON loophole. (not sure what that is). They were laying blame at the feet of greedy speculators- saying that oil could (not would though) come down by 30 + dollars.

Glad to see them trying something though...

Also, I can't believe I was watching C-SPAN, I need a life.

Congress can stop this in an instant. Eliminate any write off for any loss related to oil futures, tax any gain by 99.9% and cut off all lines of credit that come from any institution that recieved federal aid. That and drill like a SOB in Anwar, open givernment refineries (just to support the military, which would take a huge part of demand down) as well as coal to oil (military, like the AF wants to do) and massive tax incentives and price collapse guarantees (subsidy insurance) for drilling Bakken and other reserves along with mass incentives for viable alternative energy (not this Ethanol BS).

Ok. What about efficient rail systems WITHIN the cities or the Metro areas? Don't see too many Expeditions, F150's, Hummers, Tahoes, etc. in Europe either. We CHOSE suburbia, as opposed to living close to work. Where I live, ANY initiative to bring rail to the suburbs is QUICKLY stricken down. Imagine the horrors that a rail would bring to your town!!:puke: Not to mention, they all couldn't drive their F-150's (most of whom do not NEED them) at 90mph, 40 miles to work.

So your argument only KINDA works.

FlyFast, you gonna tell me I don't need all that land I'm on too? You are free to not drive what ever it is you don't want to. Funny, I'll bet you've wasted more gas in your career getting people where they really don't need to go, but I bet you don't miss a bit of sleep or have a second thought about collecting a pay check.

Latest resources

Back