The Jetfuel Conspiracy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MYTH:
The slowing U.S. economy and high prices have caused gasoline and oil demand to go down this year.

From the EIA:
EIA: Summary of Weekly Petroleum Data for the Week Ending April 25, 2008
Total products supplied over the last four-week period has averaged nearly 20.7 million barrels per day, up by 0.5 percent compared to the similar period last year.
Over the last four weeks:
Motor gasoline demand has averaged nearly 9.3 million barrels per day, up by 0.4 percent from the same period last year.
Distillate fuel demand has averaged about 4.3 million barrels per day over the last four weeks, up 0.7 percent from the same period last year.
Jet fuel demand is 4.2 percent lower over the last four weeks compared to the same four-week period last year.
Jet Fuel Demand has gone down on a bright note. Then again that's probably because of American's cancellations and, ikes, airlines going out of business.....

Also don't forget China and India are averaging about a 10% per year increase in their demand.......

Last edited:
Coal to oil is very much needed and will make a bigger difference than all the other alternatives put together.

It also only takes 3 years to build a coal to oil plant compared to 10 years for a nuclear plant or 10 years to get oil out of ANWR or off the coasts.

Let's just hope the short-sighted idiot politicians will allow it.......

Jet

Last edited:
it sounds like the AF is going a head with it no matter what. They are accepting bids this month to build a plant, and have it completed by 2011. I think there going to build 15 to start just to meet their demand.

You know, I think I read somewhere that the US government has prohibited the US military from using oil produced from shale or tar sands in Canada. Because it's too "dirty" and "non-environmentally friendly."

Perhaps. More like further evidence of an utter lack of a coherent US energy policy. It's schizophrenic, really. Kinda like this latest "gas tax holiday" proposal.

The point of which is to keep demand for gas high. If the point is to encourage better gas useage by consumers, high prices certainly do it.

Yet, at the same time, lets keep supply low by prohibiting drilling offshore, ANWAR, or elsewhere. This is INSANE.

And Congress just killed tax credits extensions for renewables (solar, wind) which is absolutely critical because they're long-term investments that take at least a decade to pay off. Tax credits for oil continue, of course . . . I'm not for "windfall profit" taxes on companies that only make a measly 7% profit, but tax credits? Come on!

Short answer: Energy policy in the US does not exist. Competing interests (green vs. coal/oil, liberal vs. conservative, clean energy vs. tree-huggers) stall any kind of coherent plan or progress.

Kinda scary. Because the situation keeps getting worse.

Soverytired,
I agree. I've even considered that powers that be are ensuring nothing gets done so we experience the effects of peak oil in the most devastating way because that's where we're headed. Like you say absolutely NOTHING gets done and has gotten done except ethanol which is a waste of energy and useless. We're going to cause food shortages and energy shortages with the retarded ethanol boondoggle.

We'll see an Energy Armageddon/War for Oil oh and War for food! if these guys don't get their heads out their arses......

Jet

The AF cant build the plant, but they can buy the end result of jet-A. That's why there getting private co. to build the actual plant. Also hoping that once it is started other company will build more plants. I think break even is $55 a barrel. So there should be a lot of takers to build them.

Latest resources

Back