• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The hits keep coming...pt.2...3....4?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You feel a wide range of emotions. Being laid off after such a long period is nothing new--but it's new to you.

I saw the writing on the wall over a year ahead of my furlough and started applying everywhere (there was quite a bit of hiring at the LCC's). Fifteen years with a major airline, captain for three and a half years and NOTHING. Not one reply.

They were busy hiring all my FO's...

THAT makes your day, I can tell you. So just beware, you'll go through a range of emotions. Anger, depression (LOOOSER!!!), resignation... It's normal. It's going to happen but just don't let it win.

Always keep in mind that it's a process that you have to work through mentally and you will emerge on the other side if you don't give up.

This is a devastating economic crisis that we're in--at least when I got laid off, there were options (for which I am still thankful!). There are few options these days.

IMO, you just keep plugging away. Keep sending out resumes, making phone calls, put in an appearance if it's appropriate--just know that you will get through this and come out on the other side eventually. Don't get discouraged if nothing happens next week, next month or even next year.

Hang in there! Don't let the bastards get you down!

TC

Well yeah, you got me there.... Few years back I got that letter too, but they gave a 3 month notice... I remember sending out like 15 resumes the same day, nobody called. I felt like s**t, didn't know what to do, I was broke (still broke as we speak). Fortunately the airline cancelled my furlough about a week before I was to hit the street...

I wonder how many pilots have a plan B??? I have nothing, if I get furloughed, I'm in a world of hurt.

Last edited:
Not me, but he's only ONE of the problems. Our erstwhile media takes the second prize in my mind. Almost more than the lousy economy, which is the leading offender of pilots.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Chris

well at least you already found scape goats. one less thing to worry about.

Sorry to hear that, hang in there.

I hope you didn't vote for BO and I hope the guys that did, see what they got for there vote!

You're blaming the collapse of a corporate department on a newly elected president? You're probably not embarassed to make such a stupid comment, but you certainly should be.

As for layoffs, closures, furloughs, and other job losses in aviation...it's aviation. If one has been in the same job for eighteen years in this business, one has lead a truly sheltered life. It's not reality.

Then again, if one hasn't lost a job with a day's notice, one hasn't really flown corporate, either.

As for layoffs, closures, furloughs, and other job losses in aviation...it's aviation. If one has been in the same job for eighteen years in this business, one has lead a truly sheltered life. It's not reality.

Then again, if one hasn't lost a job with a day's notice, one hasn't really flown corporate, either.

now avbug, you should be ashamed for spreading such a jaded viewpoint. i know many folks that have had the same corp job for over twenty years at a clip. My personal stats are 4,17,6 & 1yr at an airline :) .

You're blaming the collapse of a corporate department on a newly elected president? You're probably not embarassed to make such a stupid comment, but you certainly should be.

Well, he is out there slamming CEO's for flying around in "private jets". Doesn't matter if its a TARP company or not, he is speaking to the world when he speaks and since he has been casting a dark shadow on corporate/private aviation (along with that fag Barney Frank) he is hurting us all. The general public doesn't have a clue, and the media loves to sensationalize things like this to get Jimmy Janitor and Tommy Trucker to watch their documentative reporting, at the same time infuriating them by depicting these luxury flights as only flying fatcats around drinking $3,000 a bottle champagne will getting their knobs slobbed by strippers on the way to St. Maarten.

The Newly elected President and his fellow Democratic Congressman are failing to realize their words are putting more people from this industry in the line to suck off the government tit.

When are they gonna do a 60 Minutes segment on the corporate aircraft that the taxpayers ARE actually paying to operate...the government's?

Last edited:
I agree with parts of Avbug's post, as well as Flyguy's.

I have led a blessed existence, 18 years with the same company, but it should have been able to go to the end of my career. We were using two airplanes (or more) effectively for the whole time I was there. Then it slowed. Economics? Could be, stock prices wouldn't support some of the business we were trying to do. What stopped it? A good part of it is change in perceptions. Top brass not wanting to stand up to public scrutiny, because the right answers (that it is a business tool) aren't enough to sit well with the public. Public perception has been molded by the media, and the media attention given to the new president, who parrots what the media has put out there. Economics play a part, but they are making it harder on themselves by travelling on airlines, which is more acceptable to the general public.

I have never been fired with a day's notice from any job- charter, fractional, corporate or otherwise. I swear to you though, I have worked continuously in aviation, as a pilot, since 1980. Maybe I just worked for better outfits.

When are they gonna do a 60 Minutes segment on the corporate aircraft that the taxpayers ARE actually paying to operate...the government's?

Why don't you ask the folks who produce 60 Minutes?

More to the point, what has this to do with the President of the United States? He didn't create the situation in which we're in, nor does he produce the show.

Well...Avbug you have had some good post in the past, But I guess you don't understand what's coming out of the mouth of the president and our other, so call leaders.

:rolleyes:

I didn't say anything like that.

:confused:

Latest resources

Back