The hits keep coming...pt.2...3....4?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mxpilot2

After a couple weeks of waiting (early notification with no details), we found out today that more than 50% of our department gets to join the ranks of those looking to regain employment in a truly lousy market.

I had almost 18 years in. Over the last few weeks of waiting, I had it figured that I was out, so I'm doing OK with it. Have some plans, going to have some fun for a while, and hope that the industry comes back before I have to find something outside of aviation that can support my bad habits. Considering aviation is all I've done for 33 years, I hope it doesn't come to that.

Regards,
Chris

Sorry to hear that, hang in there.

I hope you didn't vote for BO and I hope the guys that did, see what they got for there vote!

Sorry to hear that, hang in there.

I hope you didn't vote for BO and I hope the guys that did, see what they got for there vote!

Not me, but he's only ONE of the problems. Our erstwhile media takes the second prize in my mind. Almost more than the lousy economy, which is the leading offender of pilots.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Chris

Geeze man. I'm sorry.

When I hear someone with 18 years got canned I don't feel like such a loser. If they can get you then I don't have much reason to b-tch.

Hang in there.

I know it will get better eventually and we will all go back to the usual juvenile sniping.

Not really a reason for any of us to feel like losers, it's the economy. I know the feeling is hard to avoid though.

My boss is using "bridging the gap" as a new survival line. Not a bad thought....just gotta bridge the gap til things get better.

DA2000, Hawker, Learjet 45, You should be alright when things pick up. Good types to have.

why do you feel like a loser?? I fly for a fractional, if I get furloughed, I wont feel like a loser.

You feel a wide range of emotions. Being laid off after such a long period is nothing new--but it's new to you.

I saw the writing on the wall over a year ahead of my furlough and started applying everywhere (there was quite a bit of hiring at the LCC's). Fifteen years with a major airline, captain for three and a half years and NOTHING. Not one reply.

They were busy hiring all my FO's...

THAT makes your day, I can tell you. So just beware, you'll go through a range of emotions. Anger, depression (LOOOSER!!!), resignation... It's normal. It's going to happen but just don't let it win.

Always keep in mind that it's a process that you have to work through mentally and you will emerge on the other side if you don't give up.

This is a devastating economic crisis that we're in--at least when I got laid off, there were options (for which I am still thankful!). There are few options these days.

IMO, you just keep plugging away. Keep sending out resumes, making phone calls, put in an appearance if it's appropriate--just know that you will get through this and come out on the other side eventually. Don't get discouraged if nothing happens next week, next month or even next year.

Hang in there! Don't let the bastards get you down!

TC

THAT makes your day, I can tell you. So just beware, you'll go through a range of emotions. Anger, depression (LOOOSER!!!), resignation... It's normal. It's going to happen but just don't let it win.

Always keep in mind that it's a process that you have to work through mentally and you will emerge on the other side if you don't give up.

TC

Thats why God invented BEER. I'm on my second "bridging the gap" and while the second one was easier to prepare for mentally...it is still a miserable feeling. I'm grateful my wife has a good job and doesn't nag me to get a "real" job...at least not yet.

Oh I forgot to mention...after a few days of feeling sorry for yourself: Force yourself to get on some type of schedule or routine. I think the only thing that keeps me sane is getting an hour or more of exercise every day. And I know its easier said than done, but try to stay off of these web message boards. They are not going to do anything to help your mental state (other than let you know you are in good company...theres a lot of us looking for work).

And try not to start drinking before 4pm.

Last edited:
You feel a wide range of emotions. Being laid off after such a long period is nothing new--but it's new to you.

I saw the writing on the wall over a year ahead of my furlough and started applying everywhere (there was quite a bit of hiring at the LCC's). Fifteen years with a major airline, captain for three and a half years and NOTHING. Not one reply.

They were busy hiring all my FO's...

This is a devastating economic crisis that we're in--at least when I got laid off, there were options (for which I am still thankful!). There are few options these days.

IMO, you just keep plugging away. Keep sending out resumes, making phone calls, put in an appearance if it's appropriate--just know that you will get through this and come out on the other side eventually. Don't get discouraged if nothing happens next week, next month or even next year.

Hang in there! Don't let the bastards get you down!

TC

TC

You're spot on as usual. Thanks for the great post.

Latest resources

Back